12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2009 7:17 AM by Stan Jones

Export Pro CS3 v 6.0

AutoCADguy
      I wonder if someone can help me. I have been an occasional user of Premiere for about 8 years for compiling animations from tif sequences from Autodesk 3dsMax, nothing too complicated just adding some transitions and titles and exporting to avi using Divx codec and never had any problems, until that is I upgraded from 6.0 to Pro CS3.

Basically I export using (as far as I can see), all the same settings and the result looks like it has been left out in the rain! The following are links showing a print screen from the avi and an original frame from the sequence to show how it should look:
      http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv296/Keith_068/PrintScreen.png
      http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv296/Keith_068/OriginalFrame.png

I have tried with Cinepak Codec by Radius, have tried with Adobe Media Encoder exporting to flv format but the result is the same. I have re-installed 6.0 and exported a sample sequence from the same project without a problem.

I am using Windows XP on a quite a high spec PC, have tried exporting just a few seconds of it so it's not a lack of system resources (presumably). The frame size is 768x480 exporting at 30fps. I've done a lot of work on the current project in CS3 and a last resort would be to have to re-do it again in 6.0, so I'm really hoping someone can help me.

Thanks,
      Keith.
        • 1. Re: Export Pro CS3 v 6.0
          Ruud Blauw Level 1
          >I have tried with Cinepak Codec by Radius...

Cinepak is an outdated and not very good (to put it mildly) codec. The result you posted hints at a bit rate which is far to low to encode 768x480 at 30 fps in.

What is the exported video going to be used for? E.g. does it need to be less than xx MB?
          • 2. Re: Export Pro CS3 v 6.0
            AutoCADguy Level 1
            Hello Ruud,

Thanks for responding.

Yes I know Cinepak is not the best, I tried it one time before and wasn't as good as Divx, but still much better than this.

In the past I successfully encoded 1024x576 at 30 fps and bit rate of 1500 kbps, and I have tried in the current example to turn it up to the max. 4000 kbps but no difference. As well as confirming it works OK with Premiere 6.0 I've also tried exporting the basic sequence of frames with a feature called RAM Player within 3ds Max and it's perfect at 1500 kbps as well. (Both with Divx)

Basically we have a customer who we installed equipment for at various locations in their building and we've created a virtual reality walk though showing where everything is and they want to have it showing in a constant loop on a screen in their reception area, so it doesn't have to be an ultra small file size, it's not going on the web or anything.

Video editing is not my background so I know I must be doing something wrong, but I can't imagine what.
            • 3. Re: Export Pro CS3 v 6.0
              Ruud Blauw Level 1
              I would suggest to give Windows Media Encoder 9 Series a try.
              • 4. Re: Export Pro CS3 v 6.0
                AutoCADguy Level 1
                Thanks for your suggestion, I'll look into it. Currently I have a work-around whereby I'm cutting the project into smaller chunks and exporting as uncompressed avi's and then importing them into Premiere 6.0 and exporting again using Divx. I'm not impressed with CS3 in this respect, there is no reason why it shouldn't be just as straight forward as it has been all these years 6.0, I'll be looking at alternatives to Adobe for the future....
                • 5. Re: Export Pro CS3 v 6.0
                  Bill Seper Level 1
                  Cinepak actually does really well with animation and lettering kinds of things. It's standard movie footage that it's not too terrific at. Some of these codecs that are considered outdated still have their uses. Microsoft Video 1 for instance is the best there is for doing screen captures.

Anyhow, there's no reason cinepak should look as bad as that. I wouldn't try using a higher bitrate with it. Sometimes up'ing the bitrate with certain codecs actually makes them look worse and cinepak is one of them. Anything higher than 85% won't look as good. Still, it shouldn't look as bad as what you've shown us. But if you're only exporting 768x480 at 30fps, then why not just use DV-AVI?
                  • 6. Re: Export Pro CS3 v 6.0
                    AutoCADguy Level 1
                    Hello Charles,

Thanks for your advice. The reason I didn't just use DV-AVI is that I don't know much about these things and I've just always stuck to what has always worked for me in the past. However having now tried it, I find it works fine, although frame size is fixed at 720x480 which is a problem for the current project and the file size is a bit big compared to Divx, but will keep it in mind for next time.

Thanks,
                    Keith.
                    • 7. Re: Export Pro CS3 v 6.0
                      Bill Seper Level 1
                      Keith,

Is the entire file small enough to fit on your HD uncompressed? If so, you can try one of two other things that might work well. That Windows Media Encoder Ruud mentioned will allow you to output a wmv file at any frame size you specify. A good mpg encoder will also do that. I don't know what playback formats you can use at the exhibit, but if it will playback either wmv or mpg you'd be in business.

Also, if your file is too large to output all at once uncompressed you could output a few minutes at a time and import to TMPGEnc (about $30 and the best mpg encoder ever) and convert them to mpg files there, and then delete your uncompressed files one at a time as you're doing this. TMPGEnc also has a built-in mpg tool which will let you hook all your separate mpg files together once you've got them all and make it one long file, and it will do it very quickly.
                      • 8. Re: Export Pro CS3 v 6.0
                        AutoCADguy Level 1
                        Just tried the Windows Media Encoder and it works quite well apart from some slight distortion in fast moving sections, and quite small file size too.

Don't know how big the final uncompressed size will be, not finished the full animation yet, but I think I'll stick with my current work around for the moment and experiment a bit more when the pressure is off as there's clearly still a lot more to learn.

Thanks,
                        Keith.
                        • 9. Re: Export Pro CS3 v 6.0
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Keith,

The DV-AVI Type II Export is only for material that will end up on DVD. Hence the 720x480 NTSC DVD size. If you wish to Export to some other medium, than DVD, you will want to use a different Export setting/CODEC. Yes, file sizes are large at about 13GB/hr of Duration in DV-AVI. AVI Uncompressed will be even larger. Lagarith & HufYUV are two CODEC's that work well for intermediate Export. Both are free and are "virtually" lossless. They might slow down the editing a bit, but should work fine and you will maintain pretty much ultimate quality, with smaller file sizes.

Once you are done editing, you can then use "delivery" CODEC's, like DivX for the final Export. Just do not introduce these into your Project's workflow, until the very, very end.

Good luck,

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: Export Pro CS3 v 6.0
                            AutoCADguy Level 1
                            Thanks Bill, I'll be sure to try those two CODEC's you mentioned. While I don't welcome problems, you definitely learn a lot more trying to get solutions than you do when everything goes fine!

Keith.
                            • 11. Re: Export Pro CS3 v 6.0
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Keith,

That "learning," that you mention, is why I spend so much time on these fora.

Hunt
                              • 12. Re: Export Pro CS3 v 6.0
                                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                > While I don't welcome problems, you definitely learn a lot more trying to get solutions than you do when everything goes fine!

Now there's a glass half full guy! And I agree.