5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2009 6:19 PM by Colin Brougham

Export Question/Interlacing Plain English

Hello,

2 things:
      1) did a project for girls basketball team. Had 20 hours of of dvd to import. So took the short route and changed the .vob files to .mpg. Imported into Premiere cs3 (I know not best way). What happened was when I exported the finished video to mpeg and made a dvd in encore cs3 the video footage came out jumpy on fast motion. I think this is related to interlacing?? I used all default settings for export. I believe in Encore there is a detect interlacing when rendering, if I check that will that fix everything?

I then went back and just made a movie which renders the file as an .avi. Imported that into encore and the video now plays fine on standard DVD's except for one of the movie selections(I will take that).

2. I have been trying to grasp the whole interlacing/de-interlacing, does anyone have some basic definition to help this rookie?

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Export Question/Interlacing Plain English
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          Craig,

It's been my experience when importing DVD-sourced material that the field order needs to be reversed in order for a clean export to whatever your final destination may be--and that includes going back to DVD. Unfortunately, this is not something that can be done automatically, or from the bin level in PPro CS3; it must be enabled in the timeline. Drop your clip in the timeline, right-click on it, and select "Field Options". In the pop-up pane, check the "Reverse Field Dominance" option and hit OK. You might not notice any change, but when you render/export now, that stutter will not be apparent. I frequently have to mix DVD-sourced footage with DV footage, and the only way to get a clean export is to follow this practice. Unfortunately, since you've likely already chopped up your original DVD rips in the timeline, you're going to have to do this for every single clip in the timeline.

Interlacing is an antiquated holdover from the early days of television that we haven't been able to shake even with the emergence of high definition video. Google for "interlaced video" and you'll find all the dirt.
          • 2. Re: Export Question/Interlacing Plain English
            I think I have had similar problems with different captures of DVCAM edited together in one timeline. Some clips are fine, but others in the render do not have smooth motion. Either reverse field dominance or Interlace consecutive frames shuold help. I'm still confused as to why it happens in my case, but at least I have a work-around. Not being able to reverse the whole of one clip in the bin is a pain!!
            • 3. Re: Export Question/Interlacing Plain English
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              Daniel,

You can do just that in CS4. It's part of the "Interpret Footage" options.
              • 4. Re: Export Question/Interlacing Plain English
                Level 1
                Hello,

Thanks everyone, I reversed the field order and everything works great. Is there anyway to be able to tell before you export??

Craig
                • 5. Re: Export Question/Interlacing Plain English
                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                  Are you working in a DV project? If so, and you have some sort of video device connected via Firewire (ie. miniDV camcorder) and then output to a television, you can render a bit of the timeline, and you'll be able to see whether the field reversal took effect. It has to be rendered--you can't just play it out to check it. Otherwise, export a minute or two of your timeline and burn it to DVD--it'll cost you a quarter and a couple minutes of your time.