12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2009 8:04 PM by shooternz

Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?

(Dougie_Campbell) Level 1
      Basically what I'm trying to do is get the appearance of text as you type it moving across the screen so that it appears letter by letter as you would type normally(EG 24 style)
      Is there a way I can do this in either premiere or photoshop?
      I have tried already with roll/crawl options but it would seem that I would need to have a different title for each and every word if I was to do it that way.

Any help would be much appreciated
        • 1. Re: Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          Check out the Crop effect animated with Hold keyframes; it will give you the result you're after, though not without some measure of work.

This is really the domain of After Effects, where you could achieve this really quickly. It's certainly doable in PPro--just don't expect a one-click solution.
          • 2. Re: Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

See the following for some ideas:

Category:Write-On Effect

Tutorial:Using the Write-On Effect to Create Handwritten Text

Tutorial:Writing with lightning

Cheers
            Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
            - Over 350 frequently answered questions
            - Over 300 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            Forum FAQ
            • 3. Re: Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?
              Bill Seper Level 1
              The best way I know to make lettering effects is with a Flash knockoff called Swishmax. It's $150 now, but you might find an old version on Ebay for $10, and any of the older versions will do lettering effects and export to AVI.

I'm sure After Effects is good for other things, but I sure wouldn't pay a thousand bucks just to do lettering effects. Swishmax does way more in that regard. Here's a short 15 or 20 second sample I did in about 2 minutes that just shows a half dozen or so of the hundreds of lettering effects it can do:

Swishmax
              Lettering Sample
              • 4. Re: Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I did a "knockoff" of this with Photoshop and Layer Comps. I wanted to have texture in the "writing," as it was supposed to be on an old blackboard. To get the "distressed" look, I used PS and just altered my Layer Mask to follow the "writing." Imported these as Numbered Stills, and PrP did a nice job with them. Instead of using my tablet to actually write the text, I used the Giddyup font, and then gave it the distressed look I was after. Seems that I did about eight lines in 150 Layer Comps.

Charles,

I've got Swish (the older version), and it does do a nice "typewriter" effect in Flash. I have not done much in Flash in years, and did not even know that SwishMax was out. I guess I should read my e-mails from SwishZone more often! One could also do similar with a typewriter font, some Bevels/Embossing and Layer Comps in PS. You can even make the "page" look like the typewriter has broken a few of the fibers, as it has struck the paper. Since typing is one complete character at a time, unlike writing, it would be easier to do, and then one could add an SFX to each keystroke.

BTW, Eddie's links work great too. I've used the first link's tutorial for some other titles.

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?
                  Bill Seper Level 1
                  Bill,

I didn't know you could do stuff like that in PS. I've been using Ulead Photo Impact for several years instead, so I don't really know all the ins and outs of PS. I have Flash too, and like you don't use it enough to do anything elaborate with it. The only thing Swish has ever been good at is lettering effects IMHO. When it first came out it was only about $30 and lettering was all it did. People were using it as a sort of add-on for Flash as I recall. They keep upping the price, but I still see it as only good for lettering myself because its drawing interface is horrible. They've got a cheaper $100 version now too, but I just checked with it, and it doesn't output AVI--only swf instead, which might be a hassle bringing into Premiere and getting it to work right.
                  • 6. Re: Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Charles,

Photoshop (I have not used the Extended version, so it's probably even better), is the best "add-on" for PrP, that I have found. It interfaces wonderfully, and with its Layers and Layer Masks, is a very powerful program. Though I used Layer Comps in my example, there are a half-dozen ways to get the material in the various "states." Coupled with Actions (imagine simple and tiny scripts), one can set up the Image, and just hit a few F-keys, after dragging a Layer Mask, or giving it a hit with the Airbrush (or Airbrush Eraser) as needed.

Though I had been using PS almost daily for decades, I was only doing print work with it. When I got back into motion work, I picked up a copy of
                    i Photoshop for Video
                    by Richard Harrington, Focal Press, ISBN: 978-0-240-80926-7. There were so many great tips for blending PS with an NLE, that I was astounded. All of a sudden, a program that I knew intimately, took on a whole new life. Now, I just need to upgrade to PS Extended to see what new tricks it can do.

When I first got PrP and began playing with it, I kept thinking, "if only I could do this in PS, it'd be so easy." Well, I found out that they two play so nicely with each other, that I *could* do a lot in PS and it translated beautifully to PrP.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?
                      Bill Seper Level 1
                      Hmm...almost thou persuadest me. :-)

I've always heard that Photo Impact was the only real contender to PhotShop, but layers is one thing Ulead won't do that PS will. I figured I could always do layers easy enough in Flash though if I needed to. I did download a trial version of PS once several years ago and was very impressed. It was much easier to learn than Ulead too. One day I may give it another shot.
                      • 8. Re: Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I actually started on the grand daddy of Ulead - Aldus PhotoStyler, before Photoshop hit the PC. It was a good program for its day. However, when PS came to my desktop, I never looked back. I had gotten a call that Adobe was about to start taking pre-orders for PS 2.5 PC, and called them that day. They were actually starting in four days, but took my order anyway. Heck, it came within a week, and I do not think the news of the release had hit the mags yet - remember, the Internet was still not born. Some years later, the Ulead group bought the code to PhotoStyler, and did their first image editor, under the Ulead name. I got it as an upgrade to PhotoImpact, their first product, IIRC, but never left PS.

If you upgrade your PrP, you might want to look closely at some of the suites. Since I had the full CS2 Creative Suite (from all my other Adobe program upgrades), Production Studio CS2, with Encore, AfterEffects, another copy each of PS and AI cost less than buying just Premiere CS2. A real no-brainer for me!

Do give it another try. To me, it's worth every penny. Now, I still use other, similar programs, like Corel Painter, but not nearly so much as PS, even though Painter has moved closer to PS with regards to Layers and .PSD formats. It still does things that I'd spend a full day on, in PS. Not so much a fan of Corel, and liked the program more, when it was Fractal Design. BTW, did Corel buy all of Ulead, or just some of the programs?

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?
                          Bill Seper Level 1
                          "BTW, did Corel buy all of Ulead, or just some of the programs?"

I didn't know Corel bought any of them. Guess I'm out of the loop. Photo Impact is the only Ulead program I own. What I use it for mainly is touching up photos via airbrush and cloning, and regular photo stuff like messing with the color, brightness etc. It also has some nice html goodies such as buttons, banners, line spacers and so on. My current feature is a documentary that uses a lot of old photos, so I do use Photo Impact for working on those photos before bringing them into Premiere. But as far as working on film clip sequences in Photo Impact, I've never really had to do much of that, and what little I have done was relatively simple. I'm not sure I can really justify the price of PS at this point because I just can't think of anything I really need it for. I know it's a great program, but for me it might be like buying a Ferrari and letting it sit in the garage.
                          • 10. Re: Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?
                            Ruud Blauw Level 1
                            Corel didn't. I guess Bill is thinking of Paint Shop Pro. PSP used to be a Jasc product, until Corel bought Jasc in 2004. Jasc was also known for one of the earliest batch bitmap converters: Image Robot.
                            • 11. Re: Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Actually, Corel bought Cool 3D, which was a Ulead product. I had read that they had bought more of the Ulead stable, but without exact details.

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, I find that I like the programs better, BC (Before Corel).

Hunt
                              • 12. Re: Text as you type it-Is there a way to animate in CS3?
                                shooternz Level 6
                                I have a longtime preference for CorelDraw for vector images and publishing type jobs. (Now up to vers 12)

Guess its cause I have never given any time to learning AI properly but CorelDraw is versatile and has nice integration with Adobe products.
                                eg layered PSDs