1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 7:59 PM by Jim_Simon

Best Preset or Custom Settings for Project with different media

I need to create a Project with the best settings for importing still image sequences (stills range from 720x480 @ 72 dpi to 1620x1080 @ 72 dpi) and mov files with different codecs. These codecs include the following -

-HDV 720p24
      -Integer (Little Endian), HDV 720p24
      -Integer (Big Endian), DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
      -DVCProHD 1080p30, Timecode

Some of the videos are Square Pixels (1.0), some are D1/DV NTSC (0.9), and some are D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2) so I need the best settings to include all those on import as well as export.

I have tried a number of Presets and the quality is always lacking. I am fairly new to editing with Premiere and I realize the media is in very different formats.

I also need to know what Export settings to use for the best results. The end use is going to be playback from a laptop (my MacBook Pro - see below for specs and a Dell Precision M70 Workstation, an iPhone 3G - I realize this will need another conversion, playback to a monitor and TV from the iPhone 3G and burning to a playable DVD, as well as at some point web.

Specifically, what to use for the Compressor under Video settings, as well as specifics for Keyframe and Rendering settings. The export needs to be able to play on a machine without the HDV or DVCPRO codecs.

I am working with Premiere Pro CS3 on a MacBook Pro, Mac OS X Version 10.5.6 with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

The files are on a LaCie 500GB Rugged external HD with a FireWire 800 connection.

I also have QuickTime 7 Pro, if that will help with converting/exporting the existing files to a uniform standard. By the existing files I mean either the mov files or importing the stills as an Image Sequence and exporting them as a mov. For this last option I need to know what Compression Type to choose, as well as any other pertinent information, such as what to Export to, the Framerate, and Keyframe settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am more than willing to provide any more information if that will help.

Thanks, Chris