17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2007 5:16 AM by Eddie Lotter

Export Error Premiere CS3

Level 1
      The CS3 releases of Adobe have been atrocious! We invested in the Master Collection and have had nothing but errors and bugs. I have a simple timeline in Premiere that have simple dissolve transitions between .avi files. The entire timeline is 1 hour 19 minutes long. In CS2 I exported this type of timeline and much more complicated ones with nothing but success. However, CS3 exports this simple thing to about the 40% mark then tells me it had an "Export Error!" "Error compiling movie." That's it. Nothing more. Come on Adobe! What happened to this release! Everything that worked in CS2 is now broken! If someone else has had this error, let me know if you have found a solution. I will more than likely be uninstalling CS3 this weekend and re-install CS2. It least that program worked!
        • 1. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          You're not the first to complain about things that once worked in 2.0 no longer working in CS3. New bugs from a new feature is one thing. (Not entirely acceptable, but somewhat understandable.) But new bugs with old features is absolutely unforgivable.

I found a couple myself with the beta, and have decided not to upgrade. The more I read from folks like yourself, the more I am convinced that was a good decision.
          • 2. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
            Level 1
            In my opinion, posts like this only cause potentially undue concern. There are no details provided about the user's hardware, operating system, project settings and presets, source material, plug-ins, etc. etc.

For all we know, you have a simple user-specific issue that could be easily resolved by tech support or an experienced CS3 user.

Yet, you just use the forum to rant about how terrible the product is.

But then again, I guess something good can come out of these posts since it gives those that are seeking justification another reason to feel good about not spending money.
            • 3. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
              Level 1
              Posts like this should cause concern. I have been working with Adobe's products for several years and am experienced in using their products.

First of all, the product has not been on the market that long so who out there is a so called "experienced CS3 user"? All I know is that something as simple as this little export worked in CS2 and should also work in CS3. There is nothing complicated about it.

Secondly, I am the one who is having the problems with the software working and have been troubleshooting for the week that I have had it. If you had been having the same problems that I have, I am sure you would be ranting as well.

Where I come from $2,400 of software is a lot of money to spend and it not work on the simplest of tasks. I guess money is not as much of a concern to some as it is for others.

If my settings and hardware setup are a concern then here you go:

Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
              1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
              250 GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA internal drive
              Intel GMA900 onboard graphics
              Intel High Definition Audio
              Double layer 16X/16X/4X DVD+/-RW drive
              (2) Additional external 250 GB drives (video is captured to internal drives)
              • 4. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Here's the thing, Jackie. More than one complaint has been lodged about CS3 whereby the exact same project and media, running on the exact same computer, will work properly in 2.0, but not in CS3. The bugs I found are the same way. When all you change is the program used, that speaks very loudly to it being a new bug introduced, not just a "user specific" issue. This holds even truer when others complain about the same bug.
                • 5. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                  Level 1
                  >If my settings and hardware setup are a concern then here you go:

Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
                  1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
                  250 GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA internal drive
                  Intel GMA900 onboard graphics
                  Intel High Definition Audio
                  Double layer 16X/16X/4X DVD+/-RW drive
                  (2) Additional external 250 GB drives (video is captured to internal drives)

That covers the hardware, but still, there are so many possibilities about your software and project settings/conflicts, that the post is still nothing short of an unproductive rant.

>Secondly, I am the one who is having the problems with the software working and have been troubleshooting for the week that I have had it. If you had been having the same problems that I have, I am sure you would be ranting as well.

I don't pretend to be the one that can solve your problem, and I understand the frustration that comes with spending money on things that don't work. But I don't post useless rants and expect something positive to come of it. You really shouldn't expect anyone here to be able to help you until you post reasonably detailed information about the project. For example, is this a fresh CS3 project or are you trying to produce a project that was originally created in CS2. Simple info like this may lead to some help for you.
                  • 6. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                    Level 1
                    I can feel Craig's pain. I upgraded to CS3 only to have one huge bug crop up that is completely unacceptable when working under tight deadline constraints. I, too, had to uninstall and go back to PP2 and now I'm out $300 for the so-far useless upgrade.

My computer is also well-equipped processor-wise (Intel duo-core 2.2ghz), hard-drive wise (200gb 7200 rpm sata), and memory-wise (2 gig). It's running Vista home premium, which CS3 is supposedly compatible with.

Other posters have suggested that the mpgs I'm working with are to blame. If that's the case, why do they work perfectly in PP2 and not CS3?

The guy's entitled to blow off steam. It's a public forum.
                    • 7. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                      Level 1
                      The project is a fresh CS3 project. Settings are set for:
                      GENERAL:
                      DV NTSC
                      29.97 frames/second
                      720 x 480
                      D1/DV NTSC (0.9)
                      Lower Field First
                      30 fps Drop-Fram Timecode

Audio:
                      48000 hz stereo

CAPTURE:
                      DV Capture

VIDEO RENDERING:
                      File Format: DV NTSC
                      Compressor: DV NTSC
                      Color Depth: Millions of colors
                      Optimize Stills: checked

PLAYBACK SETTINGS:
                      External Device: DV 29.97i(720 x 480)
                      Aspect Ratio Conversion: none
                      Export:
                      External Device: none
                      Disable video output when Premiere Pro is in the background: checked

24p Coversion Method:
                      Interlaced Frame (2:3:3:2)

Desktop Display Mode:
                      Compatible

The video files were captured via Sony HC42 Mini DV, brought in on timeline back to back. Black video added at front and end of each clip, standard dissolve transitions placed between them, tried to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI file. Export failure. Unable to compile.

My rant is mostly for Adobe. I have always been very satisfied when they have released upgrades to their product because they have always done what was advertised. I just feel this release was sub-par to what quality products they normally put out.
                      • 8. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        >My rant is mostly for Adobe

Look at the top of every page... user to user forums

You need to call Adobe if you want to complain to Adobe
                        • 9. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                          As you are aware, Craig (and now so are we), your project is bog-standard stuff.

Try cleaning the Media Cache Database, or even changing its location, to see if that helps.

I can export that type of timeline all day in CS3 with no issues whatsoever. So if cleaning the media cache doesn't help, then obviously something is very different about your system than mine. My system:

WinXP SP2 (32-bit)
                          P4 3.0 GHz w/HT
                          2 GB RAM
                          1.5 TB storage, 750 MB of that on firewire/USB external drives.
                          ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
                          M-Audio Revolution Sound Card
                          3 PCI IEEE 1394 firewire ports
                          Zone Alarm Security Suite A/V and A/S active
                          Adobe CS3 Production Premium installed
                          Adobe Production Studio Premium (CS2) installed
                          No 3rd-party hardware installed (Matrox, AJA, BlackMagic)
                          • 10. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                            Level 1
                            Thanks Sherri. I apologize if I have struck a nerve here with several people, but time is money. When your production as been down over a week because of a simple export that worked in previous versions, I just don't see sitting back and going "Hmm. Guess I just tossed a couple thousand down the drain. Oh well, life goes on."

And it's not just Premiere. We are having buggy things pop up in Encore, Dreamweaver and Photoshop (have not worked enough in the other programs to notice any changes or problems in them). All of which worked fine in the previous versions. As Jim stated earlier, new bugs are expected. New bugs on old features that previously worked is unforgivable.

Sherri hit it right on the nose. When you are working under tight deadlines in a corporate environment, upper management does not want to hear that is the software's fault that you can't get any of your work done.

As for complaining to Adobe...already have. Sent a web case the first of this week regarding the problems we have been having and have yet to hear a response back from them, when it says they will respond within 1 business day.
                            • 11. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                              Level 1
                              > Sent a web case the first of this week regarding the problems we have been having and have yet to hear a response back from them

Good. The more people alert Adobe to the existance of bugs the more they could wake up and release fixes. So please do so.

This only benefits all Adobe users. :-)
                              • 12. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                                Level 1
                                Curious if you have tried unchecking 'optimize stills'? I had an error on export with this checked in CS3 yet this worked fine in CS2 for me. Sorry if this is not a very useful suggestion, but it is the only thing I see in your settings that I can relate to in terms of a prior error I experienced. Otherwise, as Jeff said, this type of project 'should' work all day long error-free.

I really haven't noticed the difference in visual quality when this feature is checked vs. unchecked, but that may depend on the content of your stills. When I had this checked, I was getting an error on export but in my haste, I don't recall what the error said. I only know that when I unchecked the optimize stills, it worked.

Please take the time to post the fix if you ever get one. Then we can all benefit from your pain. ;-)
                                • 13. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                                  Level 1
                                  I'm pretty sure I tried that already as I have had an issue with Optimize stills in the past myself. I will give it a try again but I doubt it will help.

Unrelated to this issue we have also had playback troubles using desktop video. It is very choppy on playback where this was not an issue in CS2. We have updated our video drivers to the latest version but to no avail. Interesting though, if we turn off desktop mode and only use an external monitor source it plays smooth as butter. Oh well, another issue to deal with.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will keep my fingers crossed.
                                  • 14. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                                    Level 1
                                    I had that error come up once when trying to export a project that had a 3rd party effect added - just trying to help here, but are you using any filters or plugins that may not be CS3 compatible? That could be causing it...

I've export DV AVI all the time with no problems - except that once...
                                    • 15. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                      I can't quite tell if the OP wants to rant or wants a solution.

If a solution is desired, I suggest using the Workarea bar to export parts of the timeline until he finds the section at fault. Look hard at the problem and the solution might be forthcoming.
                                      • 16. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                                        Level 1
                                        Eric,
                                        We are only using the standard Premiere CS3 effects, filters and plug-ins so that shouldn't be it.

Steven,
                                        A solution is desired and I will try your suggestion to isolate the problem. Sorry if my rant has been overboard. I guess the stress and frustration of it not working as I had anticipated has gotten the best of me. I appreciate the suggestions and will try the ones I have not attempted yet. If I hear of a solution or find one I will post it back here.
                                        • 17. Re: Export Error Premiere CS3
                                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Some troubleshooting tips.

Cheers
                                          Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                          Premiere Pro Wiki
                                          - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                                          - Over 100 free tutorials
                                          - Maintained by editors like you