35 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2008 6:40 PM by Jeff Bellune

Noticed: Effect missing in CS3

I happen to be working on a 3D project in PPro and thought i would tinker with CS3 to see what is new. The first project I opened was a 3D shoot I did yesterday. Guess what??? CS3 couldn't find the effect: 3D Glasses. Thats because it's not there. Does anyone know if this is missing in the Trial Version or if it is just not in CS3. If it is, I find it strange that they wouldn't include it. Believe it or not, its part of my revenue. Also, on another note, I run on the same computer Cubase SX as well as a lot of memory hungry VST instruments: Halion, The Grand 2, Halion Symphonic Orchestra. I notice when opening CS3 as well as PPro that it also is opening my VSTi dll's. I would never use them in PPRO. Takes over 1gig of ram. Anyone have a suggestion on how to keep PPRO from opening them up when I initiate the program? Thanks. (A lot to chew)
        • 1. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

"3D Glasses" is an After Effects plug-in. You can try copying the file "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0\Plug-ins\Common\AEFilters\3DGlasses.AEX" to the same location in the CS3 folder structure. There is, however, no guarantee it will work.

There is no way within PPro CS3 to turn off the loading of VST plug-ins. To do so requires editing the Windows Registry.

Cheers
          Eddie

Forum FAQ
          Premiere Pro Wiki
          - Over 250 frequently answered questions
          - Over 100 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          • 2. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
            Level 1
            I copied the 3d glasses from my PPro file and it works fine. Thanks. I wonder why they didn't include it within CS3? Bummer on the VST. I hope that there is another workaround. I never installed it to work with ppro or CS3. The piano alone is about 800meg and takes away so much of my rendering time. :(

Oh well.
            • 3. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
              Level 1
              As an FYI: A considerable number of effects were removed from CS3, so don't be surprised if you stumble across a few more.

- Aanarav
              • 4. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                Level 1
                I think I'll keep my PPro2 and copy all the files. I wonder why they would do that? is this only in the demo version or the full too?
                • 5. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                  TradeWind Level 3
                  It is interesting to think that effects would be removed without a reason. I'm sure there must be a reason, of course, even if the reason begins with "oops...we forgot...." or something similar.

I've bought every suite upgrade for years, but I will be holding off on the CS3 production suite upgrade for now. I've used Premiere and Premiere Pro extensively, but there are few updates available as of right now. I don't need OnLocation or Ultra (hello, Keylight) and Encore DVD 2 works well for now (but Flash export is nice). The one I'm going to miss the most is AE CS3 with the major changes in that application, and the inclusion of Flash CS3, though I understand I'm in the minority favoring the inclusion of that application.

I personally plan to continue watching the posts on these boards for more input and complaints about the new editions - especially PPro CS3 - but for now it sure seems like many more people are disappointed/frustrated/screwed than I remember in the past during this point in the release cycle.
                  • 6. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

I've been on these forums for years and every release cycle is the same. There are far more people posting about problems than successes. It is not indicative of the quality of the product, it's just the nature of technical forums.

Cheers
                    Eddie

Forum FAQ
                    Premiere Pro Wiki
                    • 7. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                      Phil Griffith Level 2
                      I agree with that statement. I believe that there are a lot of people out there that don't have problems and so you never hear from them. I, for one, have not noticed any real problems so far.
                      • 8. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                        TradeWind Level 3
                        I recognize the nature of us all to punish much more than we praise; however, the specific comments this time around seem to be much different. Rather than the usual feature requests ("why isn't batch rendering available?" or "why can't we use MXF files?") there are many more comments than usual about crashes, well documented bugs remaining unfixed from the previous versions (though fixes for subclips and waveform rendering are welcome) and the like. It seems that the Premiere Pro CS3 product - not the additional softwares such as OnLocation, Encore and Ultra - are not quite ready for prime time, and the update is mainly to bring into sync the total upgrade cycle for all of these related Adobe softwares. As others in this forum have editorialized as well, the Premiere Pro software certainly doesn't appear to provide much in the migration from 2.0 to 3.0 (aka CS3, a full point release).

I'm just waiting it out, that is all. I can work well in my current Production Studio Premium package for the type of jobs I normally undertake.
                        • 10. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                          I agree that by itself, Premiere Pro for Windows does not deserve a full number upgrade. From 2.0 to 3.0 for example. However, there are two extenuating circumstances, that as a manufacturer of hardware and software, I would have used the full number upgrade.

1. The change to CS3 makes it necessary. My company has adopted what they call "Snap Releases" that "snap" all of the various software packages together to more easily determine which versions work with which versions. For example, it was difficult to know that PPro 2.0 and AE 7.0 matched up where AE 6.5 didn't. But with all of them being CS3, it will be easy to tell.

2. Mac Support. That is a major issue that would normally require a full number release. When we designed a new shelf of equipment to work with the master shelf, we used a full number upgrade. And we seldom do that except when we really need to. Our software was originally designed 20 years ago and we are only on version 8.4

We have had a few interesting major feature changes and some serious hardware changes that, over the years, have required full number releases.

So, while perhaps Premiere Pro foe Windows didn't deserve the number change, Premiere Pro for multiple platforms did. And the CS3 issue really makes a lot of sense to me as well.

I am not making excuses for any lack of features, just for the logic of the numbering system.
                          • 11. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >A considerable number of effects were removed from CS3

That's bassackwards. New effects and transitions should always be added with each new version.
                            • 12. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                              Level 1
                              Do the missing effects show up in AE CS3?
                              • 13. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                pmasters8941 Level 1
                                so do we have an official list of missing effects?
                                • 14. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                  I agree with Patrick.. an official list of missing effects would be nice to see. Might be good reading for the Premiere Wiki too Eddie.
                                  • 15. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

I agree. When I get my copy of CS3 I will do a manual comparison, but it won't be "official", of course.

Cheers
                                    Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                    Premiere Pro Wiki
                                    • 16. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                      Level 1
                                      Hey Eddie... we should start an "unofficial missing effects" thread just so we all can see what we need to transfer over (ie. SteadyMove) and get an idea of what we have in CS3.

Want me to start it?
                                      • 17. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                        Too late Eddie. I just finished it. I took a screen shot of CS3's effects and then compared the 2.0 effects to it. Pain in the neck, but what the heck, right?

http://www.stevengotz.com/files/effectchangescs3.pdf
                                        • 19. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                          Level 1
                                          Wow... that's horrific.

Thanks a ton for that Steve. Your hardwork is appreciated.

They got rid of a lot of useful stuff. Hopefully there is a way to restore those effects to the CS3 version from CS2.
                                          • 20. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            Radial Blur is gone?! I really liked that one.
                                            • 21. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                              I don't know. Is it really that much? And what value was what they took out? Is there something in particular that you will miss? I looked it over and I haven't used a single one of the missing effects. Ever.

It would be interesting to know what you will miss and how you used it when you had it.
                                              • 22. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                I used it often during wedding videos. At the end of a segment, I might show a slow push into some flowers, or the top of the wedding cake, and add the Radial Blur to the last few seconds of the clip as it faded out. Looked nice when timed to music.
                                                • 23. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

Thanks Steven. Good work. I have added a link in the wiki. (since you didn't ;))

Cheers
                                                  Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                                  Premiere Pro Wiki
                                                  • 24. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                    pmasters8941 Level 1
                                                    I dont like losing radial blur. :( or Pixelate. Now how can I blur out faces?
                                                    • 25. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                                      Jim,

I see why you would miss it. Hopefully you might be able to get a similar effect using a radial gradient as a track matte for a blurred version of the clip.

That and the Sharpen Edges both look like they might have been handy for someone. Personally, I do most of those types of things in After Effects.
                                                      • 26. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                        pmasters8941 Level 1
                                                        Any chance Adobe removed these effects to push people to do these in AE hence "encouraging" a Production Premium upgrade? Just a thought not so much a conspiracy.
                                                        • 27. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                          >Personally, I do most of those types of things in After Effects.

With Dynamic Link making things so easy, I probably will as well.
                                                          • 28. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                                            Patrick,

Not an outrageous thought at all. To be honest, I seriously believe that the Production Premium is the product, and the individual applications are just different sections of the entire "master" application.

Now, of Adobe ever made it possible to mnnage the memory so that all of the apps were just menu items on the main window, it would become more obvious.

I don't see how people get along without Photoshop and After Effects along with their Premiere Pro. I constantly move between the three.
                                                            • 29. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                              pmasters8941 Level 1
                                                              Steven, I do the same. Take one program out of three, and I find the other two nowhere as effective. :)
                                                              • 30. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                                Level 1
                                                                Never really do much in AE since an awful lot of things can be done in Premiere. Maybe that's gonna change.

I do agree to the necessity for Photoshop though. Don't need to upgrade it just yet thankfully. Still working with the first CS.

Including Encore with PP CS3 was a boon to me. I HAVE to keep that up to date.

Always wanted the Rack. Trialed it, just couldn't really justify the expense. Now I don't have to.

There was a package called Video Collection or something that I got a while ago then upgraded bits and pieces as needed. Budget, Budget, Budget.
                                                                • 31. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                                  I think you could recreate the 3d glasses effect using blend modes and channels, we had a formula for doing it in after effects (the client wasn't happy with the 3d glasses results), I think we used the set channels effect, guess there isn't one in PPro but I bet you can get a decent result using arithmetic or calculations. How are you shooting it? Two cameras or a special lens arrangement? If you can't figure it out let me know and I'll try to dig out some of our old projects and see if I can come up with an effects preset for you.
                                                                  Glennser
                                                                  • 32. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                                    Anyone know how to duplicate the effects of facet, clip and ripple in what the CS3 has. I came from Premiere Elements and I actually used these three effects a lot.

Can i copy the effects from EL to Pro?

I used the clip to create a white border around a clip to make it look like a snapshot. I can pretty much do the same with transform with a white background color.

Ripple, I had a preset defined for when I would simulate old fashioned channel changing. I guess I will try to create a similar effect with bend or wave warp.

Facet - I just liked it but I guess I won't miss it much.
                                                                    • 33. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      Seriously, some people here are such fanbois that if Adobe decided to remove the ability to capture video or adjust the audio levels, they'd justify it as "that's better handled by a different application anyway" or "I've never had any need for those; if you do, your workflow is wrong and you are an idiot".

The problem isn't (just) that Adobe decided to limit what Premiere can do to force users who don't really need AFX to buy it. The problem is that this is done at the expense of backwards compatibility. Load a project from Premiere Pro 2.0 into Premiere Pro CS3 and there's a very good chance that some effects won't render at all (or will render incorrectly), because some things are missing.

These omissions are obviously not mentioned in Adobe's "new features" web page, and it wouldn't cross anyone's mind that Adobe will remove some of their own core effects, so people only find this out after paying for the "upgrade".

If you have any Premiere Pro 2.0 / 1.5 / 1.0 projects archived, you have to keep Premiere Pro 2.0 installed to be able to open and render them. That's in addition to Premiere 6.5, because Pro won't open those correctly, either. If this is the way it's going to be (each new version of Premiere unable to open and render projects from the previous one), even when the changes are as minor as those between Pro 2.0 and CS3, then obviously Premiere isn't a viable choice for people who need to preserve (and reuse) old projects for years.

Load a file from 3dsmax 2 into 3dsmax 9 and it will work fine. Chances are it will even be render-compatible, pixel for pixel. All the standard effects and plug-ins are supported, even if the older ones are no longer available for new projects. And I suspect the same goes for After Effects (which is by far the best product Adobe sells). Premiere, as usual, gets a free downgrade with every upgrade (and some people love the former even more than the latter).
                                                                      • 34. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                                        Rant noted. Any questions???
                                                                        • 35. Re: Noticed: Effect missing in CS3
                                                                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                                                          >obviously Premiere isn't a viable choice for people who need to preserve (and reuse) old projects for years

Correct.

BTW, do let us know when you find an editing solution that lets you do that; I'm sure many more folks like you will want to migrate right away.