6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2007 8:25 PM by (beth_wachsman)

Soon to be user  - curious about AVI files

Level 1
      I've just ordered CS3 and am going to be making the leap from Elements to Pro. I usually like to archive my finished products as an AVI (I delete all the raw footage and even the project files from my computer to save space). One thing I'm excited about is the sequences (in Elements I'd have to open a new project to make a new sequence). I'd love to know if the sequences can then be saved as AVIs so I can continue to archive as I'm accustomed to. Please let me know if I'm making sense. It's hard to talk about a product I'm not yet using. But it's ordered and on it's way and I'm trying to prepare.
        • 1. Re: Soon to be user  - curious about AVI files
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          You will be able to export each sequence in any format Premiere Pro is capable of.
          • 2. Re: Soon to be user  - curious about AVI files
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the Premiere Pro Wiki that will quickly show you how things are done in PPro.

Cheers
            Eddie

Forum FAQ
            Premiere Pro Wiki
            - Over 250 frequently answered questions
            - Over 100 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            • 3. Re: Soon to be user  - curious about AVI files
              After scrubbing the time line and then pressing the space bar there is a 5second delay this also happens in the thumbnail preview in the small project panel and the source monitor and programme sequence panel which I did not get in premier 2
              OS Windows XP 2.4 core 2 duo 2gb memory
              Any suggestions please Thanks William Halsey
              • 4. Re: Soon to be user  - curious about AVI files
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

William, please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
                Eddie

Forum FAQ
                Premiere Pro Wiki
                - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                - Over 100 free tutorials
                - Maintained by editors like you
                • 5. Re: Soon to be user  - curious about AVI files
                  Level 1
                  Beth,

Quote: "in Elements I'd have to open a new project to make a new sequence" within the project.

You still have to open either a new or exiting project to make more new sequences.

Quote: "I'd love to know if the sequences can then be saved as AVIs".

You can obviously export the contents of a sequence or nested sequences as a rendered video file of some format like avi's as Jim said, but you can't save sequences as a standalone "sequence" file. Premiere does not do that.

Premiere can only save EDL, Project and rendered video files. However, you can import an existing project file into another project. If that project contains sequences then you can say that sequences can be saved but not by themselves.

As you probably know, sequences are the primary method or bucket that Premiere uses to hold audio and video elements. You can't create a video project without using at least the default sequence.

Any sequence, as you say, that is saved as an avi or other rendered format is no longer a "sequence". It is a file containing a rendered piece of video. It will play exactly like the original project sequence but you can't drill into the avi to look at or manipulate the elements as you can with the original project sequence.

I just wanted to clarify the difference between a project sequence and a rendered video file. Please disregard my blabbering if you already know or if i've insulted your intelligence.

regards,
                  • 6. Re: Soon to be user  - curious about AVI files
                    Level 1
                    I think I understand what you are trying to say and the rendered file video file is exactly what I would need. In my workflow if I was working on large video (say 30 minutes or more) I would often break it into chunks because I found that if anything went wrong I would still have the bulk of my work. In ELements that would require me to start a new project for each chunk. I would then export each as a rendered AVI which I would then drop into a final file to export to a DVD. I would also keep the AVI files arc hived on an external HD (yes I know these cannot be edited but they can be reburned to a new DVD).

Now as I understand with Pro I can make chunks by creating sequences and then exporting each as an AVI for my archive and nesting them in the original sequence for exporting to Encore and then DVD. Correct me if I have something wrong.

Cheers.