11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2007 11:40 AM by Jeff Bellune

Mpeg2 Compatibility

I just bought Premiere Pro CS3, installed it last night, and was very excited to begin using it. Now after using it, and reading the forum of incompatibility issues with MPEG2 such as no audio or Random red frames, I think I made a mistake in my purchase decision. Ironically, many suggestions to correct involved the use of other Adobe products, I guess Premiere is not as premiere as the Adobe marketing suggests.

I know, I know one of the first things Im going to be told is to use a real video format, not Mpeg2, or to convert all my video to real video format.

I agree Mpeg2 has many limitations, but Mpeg2 is a widely used and dominant standard in the consumer market. All new hard drive/memory camcorders use this format, unless you choose HiDef in which AVCHD by Song and Panasonic seems to be an option. Im using a JVC GZ-MG155u camcorder which records in Mpeg2 format.

And yes, Im a general consumer, not a video professional, but one of the highly targeted audiences Adobe believes should be using this product for home use.

So when I read the Premier Pro CS3 feature list with the following statements:

Comprehensive video-format compatibility - Work with the formats you want. Edit all standard- or high-definition formats, from DV and HDV to HD and beyond (some formats may require additional hardware).

Native HDV editing - Capture and edit HDV content in real time and in its original format with no conversion or quality loss. Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 supports HDV cameras and VTRs from Sony, JVC, and Canon.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/features/allfeatures/

I too believe Mpeg2 should work flawlessly, as do many other users who have posted similar comments in this forum. The simple truth is that Adobe needs to fix these Mpeg2 compatibility issues. Ironically when I use Adobe Bridge CS3, or cheaper editing software such as Roxio, my videos play/edit just fine. Therefore the knowledge is known on how to accommodate the limited Mpeg2 format standard across multiple manufacturers of popular consumer products, please apply this knowledge to Premiere Pro CS3.
        • 1. Re: Mpeg2 Compatibility
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          >And yes, Im a general consumer, not a video professional, but one of the highly targeted audiences Adobe believes should be using this product for home use.

If Adobe truly believed that, then they would never have invested the resources to create Adobe Premiere Elements.
          • 2. Re: Mpeg2 Compatibility
            Level 1
            > agree Mpeg2 has many limitations, but Mpeg2 is a widely used and dominant standard in the consumer market.

> or cheaper editing software such as Roxio, my videos play/edit just fine.

Then use a consumer Editor like Elements, its' (and cheaper programs) mpeg capabilities are great.

In general editing MPEG in PPRO is a hit and miss for some people, for me I have only had a problem once with MPEG, and have been fine ever since.

Jim you fail to take into account that there are literally hundreds of programs and camera's that record mpeg material, and therefore many different variations, and there is only 1 Premiere.

Again you need to understand MPEG is a delivery format not meant for editing. The reason it is on consumer cameras is because they (manufacturers) are trying to remove the editing stage and make it easier for people wanting to view the footage right away.

> I guess Premiere is not as premiere as the Adobe marketing suggests.

It is! It edits DV, and the mpeg from an HDV camera works fine.

This is a user to user forum, what exactly is your question?
            • 3. Re: Mpeg2 Compatibility
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Your whole rant, if it was intended as such, boils down to a couple of things:

1. You are a consumer.
              2. You bought a
              i Pro
              editing tool.
              3. You did not do your homework.
              4. You got lured in to buy a consumer camera not suitable for editing by a salesperson who probably does not know how to spell the word
              i editing.

5. You take it out on Adobe while they have perfectly capable software for your situation. Elements comes to mind.
              6. You can return the software and try to get a refund.

About the worst thing that could happen is when Adobe starts to support these esoteric formats instead of providing support for more professional formats like DVCPro-HD or XDCAM-HD.
              • 4. Re: Mpeg2 Compatibility
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >Mpeg2 is a widely used and dominant standard in the consumer market.

And Premiere Elements is the widely used program to edit such consumer video.
                • 5. Re: Mpeg2 Compatibility
                  I think the fact most of you are missing is that Premiere Pro, being a professional version, should by definition include all features and formats that a stripped-down consumer version of the program has.
                  Yes, you can get a better camera. However, that does not solve the problem of footage that is provided to your organization by third parties. I'm speaking specifically of organizations like mine which is a news company and must be able to process submitted footage and content provided by the public. You aren't going to get footage from Joe Q. Public that was shot on a $10,000+ HDV camera; you're going to get the $500 mpeg2 camera footage.
                  Lets be realistic. If my company shells out $1500 for the Production Premium package, I should expect to get all the features in Elements and more.
                  The consumer vs. pro argument is nothing more than a cop-out.
                  • 6. Re: Mpeg2 Compatibility
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    >Premiere Pro, being a professional version, should by definition include

While YOU may think that... it is obvious that Adobe does not agree

Adobe has one product for one type of file... and a different product for another type of file

If you want to edit a consumer file type... you need to use Adobe's consumer product

What anyone thinks SHOULD be included in Pro does not mean that it WILL be included

You call it a "cop-out" but it seems clear that Adobe calls it marketing... different products for different users

Since you say you get consumer type files... buy a consumer program to edit

As this is a user to user forum, you will need to contact Adobe directly if you want to try and persuade them to change their programming practices
                    • 7. Re: Mpeg2 Compatibility
                      Just a Thought why not get a Dvd player that has a firewire output then you can take dvd's into pp. Or get a external converter. Then you do not have to worry about this issue.
                      • 8. Re: Mpeg2 Compatibility
                        Level 1
                        give in folks.. and admit that OP points to a very relevant point.
                        In my opinion there is namely a clear discripancy between adobes promoted "Comprehensive video-format compatibility" compared to the actual performance (mpeg2).

No misunderstandings here please. I'm satisfied with PP cs3 but then again I knew what I bought. To make theese descions for a newbee can be hard and I clearly understand hus frustrations.
                        • 9. Re: Mpeg2 Compatibility
                          Level 1
                          But you are talking to people who would like to grip with people, not help people out.Or if anybody talks bad about CS3, watch out. They forget pp started out as a consumer editting software and in someways still is.
                          • 10. Re: Mpeg2 Compatibility
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >I think the fact most of you are missing is that Premiere Pro, being a professional version, should by definition include all features and formats that a stripped-down consumer version of the program has.

That's an opinion that a lot of professionals just do not share. There are often reasons to keep the consumer level stuff out of the pro version of things.
                            • 11. Re: Mpeg2 Compatibility
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                              FWIW, I have no problem whatsoever with editing mpeg files on CS3's timeline. In some ways, it works faster than even MainConcept's MPEGPro plug-in.

The only advantage that MPEGPro has for me anymore is smart rendering. Admittedly, that can be a big advantage.

I also own a license to Womble's MPEG Video Wizard because there are some mpeg files that neither Premiere Pro nor the MPEGPro plug-in can handle properly. And I have found some mpeg files that even Womble doesn't handle correctly.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all about the source. Ever hear of GIGO? :)