14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2007 1:25 PM by (Howard_Cromwell)

Another M

• 1. Re: Another M
          Level 1
          Need more info.
          • 3. Re: Another M
            Level 1
            Ok really sorry. I cannot edit my post and it posted before I finished.

Hi

There are lots of topics on this question but none really answer my question specifically.

I have DVC Pro HD mxf footage from the Panasonic HVX200.

1) what cheap plugins are there that allow me to simply import the footage onto the timeline??

I know there are a few like Cineform NEO and ASPECT HD, Mainconcpt, and DVFilm RAYLIGHT.

These are all expensive because I simply want to just import the mxf files. I really do not care for a realtime acceleration engine, ie I don't want a fancy intermediate code or anything I just want to quick n cheap edit MXF files in my Premiere CS3...

2) Are there any other plugins I have missed other than these 3???

Thanks this does help me so much. Please please
            • 4. Re: Another M
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              1. They are not expensive in comparison to the camera.
              2. Not that I know of.
              • 5. Re: Another M
                Level 1
                > 1. They are not expensive in comparison to the camera.

True. I am renting the camera, this is why I need a quick solution as I wont always use that camera. It is expensive when you consider all other NLE's support it.

It is however more than I paid for my upgrade to Premiere CS3 from Premiere 2.0.

I am not a ranter!! I am merely seeking help.

:-) :-)
                • 6. Re: Another M
                  Level 1
                  You will either need to purchase a plugin for Premiere, or find a utility that will convert the footage to a natively supported format.

Adobe has mentioned they're working on a P2 solution, not that that helps you right now.
                  • 7. Re: Another M
                    Level 1
                    > You will either need to purchase a plugin for Premiere, or find a utility that will convert the footage to a natively supported format.

This is what I am looking for!! :-)

What other plugins are there other than the ones I pointed out.
                    • 8. Re: Another M
                      Level 1
                      > Adobe has mentioned they're working on a P2 solution, not that that helps you right now

It would if it came out in 2 weeks.
                      • 9. Re: Another M
                        Level 1
                        > find a utility that will convert the footage to a natively supported format.

Are there any programs that do this?
                        • 10. Re: Another M
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >What other plugins are there other than the ones I pointed out.

None. They're it.
                          • 11. Re: Another M
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >find a utility that will convert the footage to a natively supported format.

Even if such a thing existed, it would not be recommended, as the only HD format natively supported is HDV - quite a step down from DVCPro HD.
                            • 12. Re: Another M
                              Level 1
                              This leaves one in a real pickle.
                              • 13. Re: Another M
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                Indeed it does. Let Adobe know.
                                • 14. Re: Another M
                                  Level 1
                                  I found this:

"SUBJECT: Re: Workflow for getting DVCPROHD footage from P2 into Premiere Pro

The truth is you've got some things working against you that are not all Adobe's fault. the first is that Panasonics implimenttation of MXF is really whack and filled with proprietary jibber which can make moving it around difficult (sony do the same so they're both guilty). The second is that very often footage captured on or rendered out of an FCP system is unusuable outside of FCP. FCP puts a bunch of metadata and proprietary crap into the files so even general QTs usiing open codecs often dont work in any other NLE having come from FCP. Is this deliberate? of course it is! A deliberate way iof ensuring you dont move outside of FCP. Avid do it too.

General guide is that if you need to move a project between FCP and another NLE (which is always dififcult; FCP also doesnt use an open implimentation of AAF) then Dont capture on FCP, capture on the other NLE and then move the files to FCP. Coming the other way is always painful.

Now, in your case with DVCPROHD the trouble becomes more complicated as the proprietary nature and unique compression, frame size and anamorphic stretch of DVCPROHD means many NLE's just dont like it (not without 3rd party plugs). Premiere and Vegas being two who dont (although thats political rather than technical in large part...)

Id suggest the only real way forward is to transcode the DVCPROHD files out to a more open lossless HD format rather than leave them in native DVCPROHD. Component YUV, PlanarRGB and so on. And then edit these in PP.

For me, I wouldnt be ditching Prem pro and Vegas just to be able to work with DVCPROHD. Its just not that good a format. There are better, more efficient, acqusition formats around. But of course if thats the format your collaborators are using then you'll need to get a system to suppourt it. I could be wrong but I wouldnt expect that to be Adobe anytime soon and Vegas, since its owned by Sony, will unlikely to ever suppourt DVCPROHD natively.

Wish i had better options for you.

Mike Jones

Writer, Media Artist, Digital Wrangler -
                                  www.luciferjones.org
                                  blogs.digitalmediaonlineinc.com/digitalbasin
                                  www.baddadproductions.net
                                  www.shvl.org"

From here: http://forums.digitalmedianet.com/cgi-bin/readwholethread.fcgi?forum=adobe_premiere&post= 070602155214.htm&toppostid=32028