15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2007 7:04 AM by Jim_Simon

Positive Feed Back

Level 1
      Lets here some of the good things people are experiencing with the new version.

Are the new features living up to the hype?

Slow motion quality? Flex Bins? Speed? HDV Editing? Large project handling? Subclips??
        • 1. Re: Positive Feed Back
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
          I cut my first DVD (on Encore) from the Premiere CS3 AME MPEG2-DVD HDV down conversion and am very happy with the results. This was not satisfactory with PP 2.0.
          PPBM+ Premiere Pro
          DV & HDV Benchmarks
          • 2. Re: Positive Feed Back
            Level 1
            Great Start! Let's here some more.
            • 3. Re: Positive Feed Back
              JoeBulleit Level 1
              I just finished my first video in PPro CS3. It's an hour-long wedding that was actually started in 2.0. Overall, it went VERY smooth, and I'm very happy with the result. The time remapping feature is outstanding, and gives you much more power (and better results) than you had with the old "Speed/Duration" control. In my case, I used it to gradually slow down a shot of the bride walking down the aisle, bringing her to a freeze frame. As she neared the complete stop, a flash went off from a camera, and the flash itself was a gradual (and smooth) fade up and down over several frames. Very cool!

The only small hitches were that (1) I had to re-render my previews after opening the 2.0 project is CS3, (2) the audio had to regenerate peak files (crashed once during this process but no more after that), and (3) for some weird reason, keyframes on lens flare effects (I had 2 in the project) did NOT carry over and had to be recreated. All other effects and keyframes worked beautifully.

These were all small inconveniences, and the overall project went much better than I was expecting.
              • 4. Re: Positive Feed Back
                Level 1
                In other words: CS3 is not fully backward compatible.
                • 5. Re: Positive Feed Back
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                  Mobutu, their is no backward compatibility, once you open a project in CS3 and save it it will not open in PP 2.0. Is this just terminology did you really mean 100% forward compatibility? The answer to that is no, there is not 100% forward compatibility, it is probably in the very high 90's. Small example of the price we PC users have to pay for a Mac'ized version, my current PPBM benchmark happened to use two rather obscure distortion effects that are not in CS3.
                  PPBM+ Premiere Pro
                  DV & HDV Benchmarks
                  • 6. Re: Positive Feed Back
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                    No, for some reason I don't even pretend to understand, Adobe has problems making earlier versions of projects open and operate properly in newer versions of their software.

Speaking of Macs, as Bill was, you will find some changes in the hotkeys as well due to Mac compatibility issues. For example, I don't believe that the titler opens with the same hotkey as it used to. I plan on putting everything back the way it was in the keyboard customization settings and then publishing the file on my web site to share it. I am just now downloading the official version so give me some time.

I believe that most of the best parts of the new CS3 Production Premium are the integration features and new programs, and not features in just one application.
                    • 7. Re: Positive Feed Back
                      Wade S Zimmerman Level 1
                      OK it works real well on the Mac and no dropped frames I can capture really long clips and I can then get my movies to stream real. The only problem is that I have to bring it into Quicktime in order to access the broadband options Quicktime offers.

I guess at the moment Adobe is interested in Flash movies which I am as well and would like to see a dialog dedicated to flash output as well and a settings option when creating a project.

Sorry if I think like a Mac person.

Premiere is back on the Mac and I am pleased with that. Much, much, much better than it ever was on the Mac.
                      • 8. Re: Positive Feed Back
                        Level 1
                        Anybody Else?
                        • 9. Re: Positive Feed Back
                          Level 1
                          Yes... I will say this... it could be worse... it could be erasing files from the hard drive :)
                          • 10. Re: Positive Feed Back
                            Averdahl Level 3
                            >Slow motion quality?

Great! (At last great slo-mo in PPro!)

>Flex Bins?

A great feature that many people will love.

>Speed?

IMO, much better due to new keyboard shortcuts that can take you from lets say the Timeline to the Project Panel with one single key stroke. If you have more than one processor core the rendering times will decrease a lot. Thats a huge new thing in PPro CS3!

>HDV Editing?

PPro CS3 down converts HDV to SD much better than PPro 2.0. I have not done so much editing with HDV material in CS3 yet to answer the question regarding the editing experience with HDV material.

>Large project handling?

Dont know yet.

>Subclips??

That one is fixed in PPro CS3. Subclips works like a charm!

/Roger
                            • 11. Re: Positive Feed Back
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              Do subclips work correctly, though Roger? And by correctly, I mean you cannot go beyond the In and Out points used to create the subclip when in the source monitor, but you can do so by simply dragging the end of the subclip in a timeline without first doing anything else to it, like making it a master clip.

Premiere 6.5 was the last version to handle subclips correctly. No version of Premiere Pro ever has. Does this still hold true?
                              • 12. Re: Positive Feed Back
                                Averdahl Level 3
                                >Do subclips work correctly, though Roger?

For me they work correct because they dont cause PPro to freeze anymore.

For you they dont work correct in CS3. However, i think its easy enough to use Match Frame > Edit Subclip in the Source to go beyond the In and Out, without converting to Master Clip, and then trim the clip on the Timeline.

/Roger
                                • 13. Re: Positive Feed Back
                                  Wade S Zimmerman Level 1
                                  I think Averdahl has it correct stability and performance first.
                                  • 14. Re: Positive Feed Back
                                    Level 1
                                    Use the Edit Subclip command to re-set the media boundaries if you want a little more media than you originally marked when you created the subclip. The media boundaries prevent you from inadvertently trimming into unwanted media, a bad take, color bars to mark the end of a scene, a camera wobble, etc. Isn't this what subclips are good for? They also prevent you from accidentally using the same footage (frames) multiple times if you've created a series of subclips from a longer master clip.
                                    • 15. Re: Positive Feed Back
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      >However, i think its easy enough to use

Thanks for the tip. But "easy enough" just isn't easy enough. I want easiest, and that means a simple drag in the sequence.

Efficiency is the name of the game. The fewer clicks and keyboard taps, the better.

>Isn't this what subclips are good for?

Maybe. I've always used them to get specific takes from a larger clip. I honestly see this as their primary purpose. Trimming mistakes already have two easy fixes - CTRL-Z and the History palette. Preventing a drag of subclips beyond original boundaries in the sequence isn't a required safety measure, and only adds unnecessary steps for those that want or need to see what's beyond the boundaries.

Premiere 6.5 was the last version of Premiere to treat subclips correctly.

But, at least there's no playback delay. That's some progress.