5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2007 8:40 PM by (Matt_Albright)

Two complete live shows on a single DVD+R double layer disc

Level 1
      Hello!

I am a new customer of Adobe's and have gone from Sonic MyDVD v6.1 to v9.0, then to Adobe Premiere Element 3.0 last month, and finally to Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 with Adobe Encore CS3 a few days ago with the digital downloads. Absolutely no problems downloading 3.5GB of files, which is unheard of for my computer and no problems whatsoever with serial numbers for the downloads either.

Fortunately for me, all of my problems have been stemming from being inexperienced with Premiere Pro and the online tutorials and help from Forum users have been fantastic! Well, with the exception of the "Desktop Display Mode has been reset because the video card returned an error" error message that seems to keep cropping up and causing my video to look unrendered, despite it all now being rendered, I am at a crossroads of what to do here.

Two years ago, I videotaped one of my favorite local bands performing an outdoor live show in the afternoon and then videotaped them performing at a club the same night. Now I am trying to re-make the same DVD that I made for them using Sonic MyDVD 6.1, because they want to sell it now, but this time on a double-layer disc for better quality (plus I upgraded my crap NEC DVD burner that came with my Dell computer to an LG GSA-H10L since then, which works great and doesn't make error-prone DVDs) and also remove some bonus materials that they thought would only be of interest to them and took up too much space. The only problem is that I deleted all of my original source files because they were taking up too much space and I couldn't save a 10MB file anywhere else. In hindsight, I probably could have split it up into smaller pieces, but that's not the issue now.

When I bought Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0, I remember reading something that said to put two complete video files on the same timeline and just add Main Menu markers and End Point markers to allow the program to auto-populate the chosen DVD template. So I did that, but I hated the templates and there was very little control over anything. Sonic MyDVD at least gave me the option to center the button text. In the end, I upgraded to Adobe Premiere Pro CS3.

Now I have completed editing the timeline and am happy with everything, but now I see there are no Main Menu markers or End Point markers. Can I still make a decent DVD with two main menu motion buttons that each have Play and Scene Selections options below them with everything on the same timeline/sequence, or do I need to create a new sequence and copy everything from part two of my original timeline to the new sequence? Is there a preferred method?

I didn't see this covered in any of the tutorials, help files, forums, or the downloadable manual that I also purchased. Maybe I missed it, but can anyone offer any insight on this?

Thank you!
      Matt
        • 1. Re: Two complete live shows on a single DVD+R double layer disc
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Premiere Pro 2.0 came with the ability to create DVDs directly. Premiere Pro CS3 now comes with Encore for all DVD authoring. Have you tried the Export to Encore option yet?
          • 2. Re: Two complete live shows on a single DVD+R double layer disc
            Level 1
            Yes, I have Encore installed and did a 4-hour first pass to Export to Encore last night, but it failed about 2 hours in when my Zone Alarm pop-up came up saying it was trying to access the Internet and I was away from my computer for 15 minutes while it was up. Then I restarted it at 11pm and it ran until 3am, when I was hoping to go to bed, but then it began its second pass. Grr! I can't remember if I went to bed at this point and found this when I woke up, or if I was staying up watching its second pass to see if it would go any quicker than the first time, but when it completed, I received this pop-up message:

"The instruction at 0x11ce445a referenced memory at 0x11d00000. The memory could not be written."

When I clicked OK, Adobe Encore shut down.

I'm guessing that if I started with two .AVI files totaling 19.4GB, I should have ended up with something larger than a 3.8GB .M2V file, an 82MB .M2V.XMPSES file, a 936MB .WAV file, and a 3KB .XMP file when this was done rendering. At this point, I don't know what to do with the resulting files or if they are incomplete.

Anyhow, after all that, my main question in my original post was this:

"Can I still make a decent DVD with two main menu motion buttons that each have Play and Scene Selections options below them with everything on the same timeline/sequence, or do I need to create a new sequence and copy everything from part two of my original timeline to the new sequence? Is there a preferred method?"

Thanks!
            Matt
            • 4. Re: Two complete live shows on a single DVD+R double layer disc
              neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Matt.

Please can you take this over to the Encore forums, in exhaustive detail. I'll do my best to sort you out here.
              Quick advice.
              Disable all background applications like Zone Alarm. Disable internet access if this is a worry (you can enable it again on a mouse-click) the point being you simply should *not* run things like Zone Alarm in the background, as it can all too easily interfere with the process.

For your structure, I would set it up in Encore this way:
              One timeline for each show.
              Then decide if you want the individual "Scene Selection" tracks to be "in" points or just the single song before returning to menu.
              For Just a single song and a return:-
              On Show #1, set the following:
              Play All (link this to Chapter 1, Main timeline in Encore)
              Then create a series of Chapter Playlists - one for each track/song.
              For Song #1, just insert Chapter 1 in the Chapter Playlist.
              For Song #2, insert Chapter 2 only.
              Repeat until all are listed.
              Set the End Actions of the Chapter Playlists to revert back to the song selection menu.

For "in" points only (song plays, followed by the rest of the gig from that entry point)
              Drop the Chapter Playlists - set up your song selection menu & point each button to the relevant chapter.

That'll do the job, and you only write the timeline once.
              Works a treat, and in Encore CS3 the Chapter Playlist bug is fixed too!
              • 5. Re: Two complete live shows on a single DVD+R double layer disc
                Level 1
                Neil, thank you for your comments. The key thing that I wanted to know was whether I should leave both shows on the same timeline in Premiere Pro or split them into two timelines before I exported to Encore, so you confirmed my suspicions. :) Thanks!

Last night, I decided to save a copy of my original file and then take the new file and split up the timeline into two timelines. It's way better to render a 2-hour render that double passes for another 2 hours than to render a 4-hour render that double passes for another 4 hours anyway. I ended up rendering show #1 while I slept and then set show #2 to render while I was at work today.

When I got home, show #2 had rendered perfectly without error and now I am ready to begin authoring this DVD finally! I was planning on doing the "in" points only method like I did two years ago.

We can consider this case closed now. :)

Thanks again!
                Matt