4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2007 3:54 AM by Steven L. Gotz

PrPro CS3 and footage interpretation

Ma3rk Level 1
      Im nearly finished updating a 10 year old, 2½+ hour documentary that Ive been working on the past few months. The project consists of older source material that was a real hodge-podge in how it was originally digitized, interspersed with newly captured material.

Theres an aspect of PrPro CS3 and the method it uses for setting field interpretation that completely baffles me as to the design logic used when compared to other Adobe products (i.e. After Effects).

In After Effects for example, when you import a video clip asset, you can set EVERY aspect of the clips interpretation (frame rate, field order, aspect ratio, pull-down, alpha, etc,) directly in the Project Bin. If you use that clip multiple times, all those settings are maintained.

In PrPro CS3 however, the only settings you can change by selecting the clip in the Project Bin are Frame Rate, Aspect Ratio, and Alpha channel. So, if you have a source clip that uses a different field order than the project and its used multiple times in the timeline, you have to go to each clip, one at a time, and change the setting.

WHAT SORT OF WORKFLOW LOGIC IS THAT? My project has dozens of such clips, some used 50-60 times, so Ill let you imagine some of the choice monikers Ive come up with for whoever designed this.

Additionally, how do you tell CS3 to just treat interlaced footage normally as interlaced? The only options available are:

None which DOESNT process fields. Does this mean it ignores fields or that it simply treats them normally based on Project Settings? My tests indicate the former.

Interlace Consecutive Frames which is for converting NON-INTERLACED footage to interlaced.

and,

Always Deinterlace- which converts interlaced to whole frames but by tossing one field & interpolates a new one.

Also, why are all clips set to Frame Blend by default? Why isnt there a Global Preference for that instead.

Is there some oddly hidden setting or technique that Im not finding in the manual to do these things perhaps? I really wish those who are writing this software would spend some time with those who actually try to use it.

Thanks,

M.
        • 1. Re: PrPro CS3 and footage interpretation
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          1. Use AE to invert the field order of your clips. Use the inverted clips from AE as your source files in PPro. In my experience, AE does a much better job of inverting field order than PPro.

2. Investigate ReVision FX's FieldsKit. Really good stuff, that.

3. Frame Blend only affects speed-changed clips. It doesn't affect anything that is running at normal speed.

4. If your project is interlaced, you don't need to touch the Field Order options in PPro. Your exported output will be just fine.
          • 2. Re: PrPro CS3 and footage interpretation
            Ma3rk Level 1
            I'm sure AE does much better at a number of things. The problem unfortunately is not being able to tell what's really going on wtihin PPro. If Adobe would utilize the AE clip viewer in PPro, then it would be a simple matter.

I do have the Revision tools for AE BTW.

So on a clip w/o any sort of time stretch, there's no rendering hit then?

I've some of these rogue 3rd+ generation clips with dubious capture lineage that turn out generally to have upper first and you simply can't tell until I do a test DVD. Think I pretty well have them set now and doubt if I'd gain much going the AE route on them at this stage.

Thanks for the suggestions for next time.

M.
            • 3. Re: PrPro CS3 and footage interpretation
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
              >I've some of these rogue 3rd+ generation clips with dubious capture lineage that turn out generally to have upper first and you simply can't tell until I do a test DVD.

Try GSpot . You'll like it.
              • 4. Re: PrPro CS3 and footage interpretation
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                You can use AE to separate the fields. Then when you step through them you can easily tell if you have the right order.