12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2007 1:44 PM by Miles Johnston

Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback

Level 1
      Hey all,

I have a Sony CRT studio refence monitor from the days when I was using a Pinnacle DV500 card with Premiere 6.5.

I have CS3 now with a 22" widescreen LCD for my desktop and PP program screen but instead of the timeline video window on the LCD only, I want full screen full res/motion output on my Sony CRT like I used to have.

I have an S-video out on my ATI X700 card, should that work?

Thanks,

John
        • 1. Re: Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Probably not. Few graphics card video outputs work with Premiere. Some have figured out how, so perhaps one will post his technique. But in the event you can't get it to work, the best solution is to go out via Firewire and use your camera as a pass through to the monitor.
          • 2. Re: Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback
            (Jon_Sands) Level 1
            uh, its actually really easy. plug in the crt, set it up in windows as a second monitor etc. then in your project in premiere go to

project>project settings>general

then click "playback settings"

under "external device", select your second monitor (your sony crt)
            • 3. Re: Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              What I was saying, John, is that your procedure doesn't always work. It seems to be vary with the card used.
              • 4. Re: Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback
                (Jon_Sands) Level 1
                ah. well i used to use a x300, same series, and it worked fine, so he should be in luck.
                • 5. Re: Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback
                  Sometimes I get that option and sometimes I don't. I haven;t figured out what circumsances prompt it. But it's a great feature when it's available.
                  • 6. Re: Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback
                    Level 1
                    Thanks for the input to date. Neither of the two suggestions offered worked satisfactorily. First I tried using the CRT monitor via S-video with the desktop extended to it as monitor 2. This is a FAR cry from a clean dedicated video output such as my former Pinnacle RT card used to output. It was bad.

As for the suggestion of Firewire to camera to S-video, the picture was beautiful, full screen, full motion and exactly what I was after. Sadly, there was also a full second delay between the timeline playback and the CRT video. I guess the loop takes a lot of milliseconds. This delay makes precision editing using the monitor a problem.

Still looking for an RT card type output from PPCS3. If anyone has it figured, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.
                    • 7. Re: Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >This delay makes precision editing using the monitor a problem.

You don't use a separate monitor for precision editing. You use it to check things like color and contrast and the final output. Use the Premiere monitor for editing. That's why it's there.
                      • 8. Re: Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback
                        Level 1
                        Sigh, with 17 years experience as a broadcast producer (gone independent DV producer) I can assure you that having a concurrent reference display is entirely the norm and preferable. Since hardware assist has been in large part abandoned due to faster rendering times this feature seems to have suddenly gone by the wayside. I assure you the program monitor is a poor cousin to a real time full screen external reference display. It doesn't even come close. Watch a program video window that is all of 5 inches physical size on my 22" widescreen LCD compared to full screen? I do of course edit with it but prefer to view all playback from the timeline via external reference monitor. It's glorious! However, with a one second lag (using the firewire camera loop method), I cannot suddenly stop the playback at a specific desired point on the timeline based on the reference monitor display. Both displays should be simultaneous. It seems the old Matrox/Pinnacle set-ups were light years ahead of the current software abilities in this one area. Just venting... I want it all :)

Thanks anyway for the help. I appreciate it.
                        • 9. Re: Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >I assure you the program monitor is a poor cousin to a real time full screen external reference display.

Different working methods I suppose. Seems easier to me to edit with the included program monitor. That way I can also see the timeline and audio levels as well. Hell, I don't even turn on my reference monitor unless I'm color correcting.

There are apparently some graphics cards that will use John Sand's method. You may have to find one.
                          • 10. Re: Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback
                            Keano66 Level 1
                            Same with me Jim. The only thing I really use my JVC external monitor is to make sure the text and colours look right. As regards the one second delay, this was all down to the msdv.dll from SP2 I believe. I replaced my msdv file with the old msdv file from SP1. Unfortunately, the msdv file keeps getting updated to the new SP2 msdv file whenever I capture with my XL2 camera. I've just got used to telling clients when watching to keep looking at the pc monitor.
                            • 11. Re: Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback
                              Level 1
                              I have a cool new thing that I have started doing recently since CS3 gave us the option to use the ` key to expand a palette full size.

I output to TV via firewire, and expand my timeline panel and edit over 2 full screens. I like it cause it really feels like a big canvas infront of me when I edit.
                              • 12. Re: Adding CRT reference monitor for timeline playback
                                Miles Johnston Level 1
                                Find a JVC Mini-DV -SVHS Combo unit, and use the Firewire port, to feed your monitor with your project timeline.
                                I deliberately have a TV set/ SONY 28" 16:9 monitor, so I can check what the punter will actually see. You can check for frame errors.

Obviously for HD, its not relevant, But it gives a real result for your graphics / fonts/ transitions. Looking at these on the we PGM monitors in the work space simply doesn't give the real deal.

The PCs frame rate and progressive scan, and colorimetry simply will not give you a reliable confidence displ;ay iof what you are actually editing.

Unfortunately Software designers are notorious for being isolated in the world of their PC displays, and simply do not comprehend what the end result of their software is actually for.

There are lots of DVD recorders with Firewire, so use one of them, to translate to analogue video. SONY have a good HDV player /recorder, which can display on any display. I use these stand alone Mini/DVcam items to play in/record to tape, rather than having the cameras sitting around in the way.