5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2007 10:34 AM by (wesleyc)

Rendering question

This may be elementary to many, but I have never really understood this and don't see anything in my readings, so I am hoping someone here can elighten me?

When you are editing in PPro CS3, does the act of rendering actually cause a generation loss on the video? I 'think' my answer is no, it does not, as it appears to be only applying an effect to the video clip in my timeline, NOT the actual source clip. Please tell me if this is correct?

So, if this IS correct, does this mean that a generation loss ONLY occurs when you actually export a movie?

Thanks!

wes
        • 1. Re: Rendering question
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Rendering a DV file with an effect or a transition technically will cause a generational loss. But the chances are, you will never notice it.
          • 2. Re: Rendering question
            Level 1
            Ouch! I was hoping you were not going to say that it is a generational loss... I have tended to render over and over again while working with stills and video as I can't seem to stand seeing it in draft.

When you say 'you will never notice it' is that because it is at some level significantly below the generational loss that you experience when you export a movie?

Thanks -
            • 3. Re: Rendering question
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              No, it's because DV compression is very, very mild.

What you can do is simply delete all rendered files before export. That way you'll get only one generation of loss, and no one will ever notice it.

(P.S. Original files are never touched. Rendering simply makes a new file.)
              • 4. Re: Rendering question
                Gary Andrew Level 1
                Re-rendering (even many times) a section in Premiere does not result in ongoing generation losses since any new render always creates the preview file using the original untouched footage - the new render totally disregards any previously generated preview file. Therefore, the worst you can get out of Premiere is one generation loss. (unless you export and re-import). FYI - if you export using the Adobe Media Encoder it also uses the original files disregarding any preview files that have been created (thats why rendering the entire timeline before export to mpg, wma, etc. does not speed up the process). Premiere does use the preview files if you export to an AVI matching the project settings since it just creates a file with all the preview files (which remember are just one generation old) strung together. This process is very fast since no rendering needs to be done.
                • 5. Re: Rendering question
                  Level 1
                  Thanks guys - good explanations.