6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2007 10:01 AM by Jeff Bellune

VCD Support

(*|*) Level 1
      Y Pr Pro CS3 doesn't support VCD output? (And also AVC-HD)
      VCD is very important & useful 4 me.
        • 1. Re: VCD Support
          Ruud Blauw Level 1
          PPro does support MPEG-1 export and you could use something like VCDEasy (or its older freeware version) to make VCDs from that.
          • 2. Re: VCD Support
            (*|*) Level 1
            The best way is Nero.
            It's totally sucks: Pr Pro 3 doesn't support VCD, SVCD.
            • 3. Re: VCD Support
              Level 1
              > Pr Pro 3 doesn't support VCD, SVCD.

Ruud answered your question already. VCD uses highly compressed MPEG 1 technology which Premiere Pro
              b does
              output to.

Do not forget Premiere PRO is a PRO application and nobody delivers high quality broadcast/corporate work on VCD, it is all DVD. The only reason to use VCD is because it is still a few cents cheaper...
              • 4. Re: VCD Support
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                And also keep in mind that Premiere Pro is an *editing* application, not an authoring application. Like DVDs, VCDs and SVCDs need to be authored.

Howard and Ruud are correct - PPro will export to MPEG1 that can be used on a VCD.
                • 5. Re: VCD Support
                  Level 1
                  >nobody delivers high quality broadcast/corporate work on VCD, it is all DVD.

So why the Flash integration then? ;)

>Like DVDs, VCDs and SVCDs need to be authored.

'Authoring' an (S)VCD is about as much work as encoding a compliant mpeg file (something Adobe's Media Encoder shouldn have any problems with) and then burning it to a CD with the proper settings. Of course if you need 'fancy' menus its a bit more work but hardly what I'd call 'authoring' ;)
                  • 6. Re: VCD Support
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                    >and then burning it to a CD with the proper settings...hardly what I'd call 'authoring'

What *would* you call that process, then? Keep in mind that a DVD with no menus still has to be "authored". Why? Because authoring involves "burning it to a [DVD] with the proper settings".

If you would prefer another word like "creation" or "implementation" that's fine.

My point is that you need an application designed to make a legal (S)VCD; you can't just drag and drop your mpeg1 or mpeg2 file onto a blank disc and call it (S)VCD. And I'm pretty sure you understood my point, even if you didn't like my use of the word, "authoring". ;)