12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2007 10:57 AM by (Paul_Jacobus)

Adobe Media Encoder

I've been trying to export a short clip using the Adobe Media Encoder option. I want to export in Windows Media format. I'm having a serious problem with the video so here are my video settings:

Codec: Windows Media Video 9
      Passes: 2
      Bitrate: Variable Unconstrained
      Frame size: 320 x 240
      Frame Rate: 29.97
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

I'm using NTSC Source to Download at 256 Kbps

Even when I try different settings, the video comes out extremely dark, barely visible. The audio is fine. What am I doing wrong? This should be a very simple task. I used to do it frequently with Premiere 6.5.

Thanks,
      Paul
        • 1. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
          Level 1
          What are you viewing them in? Perhaps your media player is causing it?

Perhaps you have some effects on your clips causing this?

Do they come out dark in another file type?
          • 2. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
            Level 1
            Thanks for the reply.

I'm viewing the exported clips in Windows Media Player. I've tried 3 different versions of Windows Media Player: 9, 10, and 11. The video is extremely dark (barely visible) in all 3 versions of the player. So I've ruled out the player as being the problem. By the way, the video looks fine when I play it in the timeline in Premiere.

There are no effects at all. I've just got two clips on the timeline, one after the other with no transition or other effects. I'm trying to get the export function to work properly and don't want to complicate the testing with any effects at all.

When I export the clip using the command File>Export>Movie and export the short clip as an AVI file, using the Cinepak codec with the default settings, the video looks just fine (and the audio is fine too). It appears to be something with the Adobe Mpeg Encoder. The only time I have trouble is when I use that function to export.

BTW, the exported clip also looks good when I export it as a Quicktime Video.

(I'm hoping to get the size of the exported files down for use with a non-profit I'm trying to help and I want ot use the MPEG encoder to give me more exporting options.)

Thanks,

Paul
            • 3. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >I've tried 3 different versions of Windows Media Player

Just to be sure, try a totally different player. The KMPlayer is a very good free choice.

Also, try upping the preset to the next level (512K download) just to see what happens.
              • 4. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                Level 1
                Thanks for the reply.

This is extraordinarily frustrating. I've spent hours troubleshooting this ridiculous problem. I've tried increasing the bit rate, I've tried viewing the exported file in several different viewers including KMPlayer and Winamp. Loads of fun. It still isn't working right.

When I export via the Adobe Encoder, it just doesn't work properly.

I remember using Premiere 6.5 and visiting the forums to see all the other users suffering with issues ranging from major crashes to exporting problems, to who knows what else. I see that virtually nothing has changed with the "newer" version of Premiere.

I'll keep working on it, but I'll probably do one of two things, either just use the export to AVI function or switch over to Avid. I have it on my system and it exports just fine.

Paul Jacobus
                • 5. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                  Level 1
                  GOM Player is awesome. It plays MXF files (I do not know another player that does) and it plays incomplete and broken files. Try it: http://www.gomplayer.com/download.html

"I remember using Premiere 6.5 and visiting the forums to see all the other users suffering with issues ranging from major crashes to exporting problems, to who knows what else. I see that virtually nothing has changed with the "newer" version of Premiere."

Go look at forums for every major product you can think of, things always crash. :-)
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Paul,

Try also an MPEG option through the AME. Report back the results.
                    • 7. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                      Miles Johnston Level 1
                      Instant Error on export:- Immediate close of Adobe Media Enmcoder under any settings.
                      Trying to Export 10 min sequence, to Window Media Player 9. (Actually for You Tube).
                      Source :- 9min 30 sec Sequence
                      720X576 25f (1.422 pixel)
                      Exporting to a different drive. I have tried any drive, the IDE Export drive, and a SATA drive, and a drive on the USB .
                      Error is:- "Writer Initialization Error".

I have adjusted bitrates to make sure this short clip is down below the YOU Tube limit.

I can export the MOVIE as an AVI, and make DVDs, but I have ZERO success trying ANY Adobe Media export.
                      • 8. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Miles,

You should start your own new thread with this problem, rather than hijacking two other threads.
                        • 9. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                          Level 1
                          Howard,

You're right, lots of programs cause computer crashes and other problems. I don't disagree with you. Nevertheless, we (you and I) paid a lot of money for this product and all of those others that cause crashes and sometimes simply don't work right, and I think that's just wrong. When a company charges any fee (and with Premiere CS3, it's a pretty substantial fee) for a product, it simply ought to work properly. I'm sure you'd agree with that?

But I digress...I've tried pretty much every combination of settings possible only to determine that it just ain't gonna work correctly. I've tried MPEG and pretty much all the other options and every time the video comes out so dark that I can just barely see it. I may try to reinstall (my favorite thing to do) and report back to this forum.

Paul
                          • 10. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                            Level 1
                            > I'm sure you'd agree with that?

I do :-)

When thngs freeze or crash I just get over it and push on towards finishing in time for the deadline...

> I may try to reinstall

Try that. Your problem is a weird one I have never encountered.
                            • 11. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                              Level 1
                              This is extremely frustrating. I just de-activated my copy of Premeire, defragmented my hard drive, then did a clean reinstall, and exported some video. And the end result is even worse than before. Now the video is practically black when I export directly as a movie file (avi format) or use the Adobve MPEG Encoder. So now I can't get acceptable video using any export function.

I render the video before exporting it and the video looks perfect when played on the timeline. I'm rapidly reaching the point of MF (maximum frustration). Not sure what to do at this point.

Paul Jacobus
                              • 12. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                Level 1
                                After hours of frustration and disappointment, I have figured out the problem. And you guys are going to say, "Why didn't he do that earlier"? I updated the video drivers for my Nvidia Video Card and the exported clips now look just fine. It was the video drivers that were causing the problem. And yes, I should have thought of that earlier, but I didn't.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I suspect that I'll be visiting this forum again, soon.

Paul Jacobus