4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2007 11:01 PM by TM2-Megatron

Audio/Video sync problems with importing and conversion

TM2-Megatron Level 1
      I'm a fairly new user to Premiere Pro, and while I haven't had any problems so far, I ran into one today and can't seem to get around it. And before I start, yes, I do realize Premiere Pro isn't meant to work with MPEG files and that may be one of the problems. And I generally don't use MPEG stuff, but I would like to use this clip. So any advice on how to get this imported properly would be appreciated.

Anyway, I took a short (about 4 minutes) clip off a commercial DVD because I wanted to play around with it a bit in the Adobe software. I renamed the VOB file to *.mpeg and initially, just tried importing it directly into Premiere Pro on the off-chance it may work... though I didn't really expect it to. And it didn't. Although it imported allright with good video quality, for some reason Premiere didn't have the right runtime. When I play the mpeg file in PowerDVD, it runs about 4:10... but Premiere Pro seems to think it's 4:23. The weird part of it is that the audio portion of the clip runs true to its real length of 4:10... which means there's a growing sync problem as the video continues to run, finally ending at a 13 second difference.

Unfortunately, After Effects seems to read it the same way. Even when I try adding it to the render queue and exporting as an DV-AVI file... it has the exact same runtime and audio sync issue.

Is there any particular setting I'm using, or something I'm doing wrong that makes Premiere Pro and After Effects do this?
        • 1. Re: Audio/Video sync problems with importing and conversion
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          If the disc was copy-protected, how did you get the vob/mpeg file on to your hard drive? Your choice of ripping software may make a difference, as well as defining your options from this point on.
          • 2. Re: Audio/Video sync problems with importing and conversion
            TM2-Megatron Level 1
            I'm using AnyDVD from Slysoft to bypass the protection, and for this I used DVDShrink (which, as far as I know, is basically Nero Recode) to take the VOB down to my hard drive. I tried the same process with two different clips, both from different DVDs, and one worked while the other didn't. I've read on here that MPEG editing is largely hit-and-miss with Premiere Pro, so I suppose it was to be expected. Fortunately, I only really use MPEG files when I'm playing around with pre-existing clips for fun... I use DV for actual productive work.

Unfortunately, I haven't really got a decent solution at the moment for converting MPEG-2 files to something Premiere Pro will accept. I know that Premiere Elements is the better solution for MPEG (though why Adobe wouldn't have just included this functionality in the Pro version is beyond me)... would that be able to take in MPEG files and convert them to DV-AVI type 2 that Premiere Pro could use? Or does elements use type 1?

Now that Vegas Pro 8 has been released, I may eventually look into picking that up if I can get it at an academic discount, as well. Going from their website, it seems Sony doesn't share Adobe's reluctance to include all the basic features in the Pro product... Sony makes a point of mentioning Vegas Pro 8 can work with files from a DVD camcorder and AC3 audio... something Premiere Pro, unfortunately, seems to lack.
            • 3. Re: Audio/Video sync problems with importing and conversion
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
              MPEG editing is largely hit-and-miss with *any* application. It is fair to say that Premiere is less tolerant of wonky GOP structures than dedicated mpeg editors.
              • 4. Re: Audio/Video sync problems with importing and conversion
                TM2-Megatron Level 1
                After downloading and taking a run through the trial of the new Vegas Pro 8 that was released last week, I must say I'm pretty impressed. It successfully opened, played and flawlessly converted (to DV-AVI) all three of the MPEG clips for which Premiere Pro failed in 2 out of 3 cases. I'm going to have to pick up Vegas when the new version becomes available at one of the Canadian academic discount stores... hopefully that won't be too long. Premiere Pro CS3 was a great deal for the price I got it from my school, especially considering it came with all the other stuff in the Master Collection (which I use a great deal). But the new Vegas, in terms of straight video editing, seems more up my alley... I especially appreciate how Sony sees the need to include both support for the higher-quality formats designed for editing, but also including the same abilities the consumer versions of Vegas have. Having both Vegas and PP together should provide any feature I could want, I imagine.

It should make an excellent complement to Premiere Pro, picking up the slack for the basic features Adobe leaves out for whatever reason, as well as supporting the formats not implemented natively into Premiere Pro yet, like AVCHD.