5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2007 7:09 PM by (Roger_Meeker)

What does "Hardware acceleration" do?

Level 1
      Searched & read a number of articles, but still not clear as to what hardware acceleration brings to the PP3 table.

One thing I do know is that if I have acceleration set to "Full" on my Dell Precision M90 notebook PP3 WILL crash-- blue-screen-of-death-frozen-solid-crash. Upon manual power off/on, then a dire looking page about recovering from serious error appears...

If I slide acceleration back to the point where "Disable all DirectDraw and Direct 3D... " message appears, things seem to be stable (I read online where this helped another user).

So even though it runs with this setting, am I missing out on some kind of functionality that those who are able to run a "Full" experience??
        • 1. Re: What does "Hardware acceleration" do?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          When people talk about "hardware acceleration", they're generally referring more to third party hardware that is designed to work specifically with Premiere (such as those by Matrox, BlackMagic and AJA) rather than the general hardware already built into a desktop or laptop (such as a graphics card).
          • 2. Re: What does "Hardware acceleration" do?
            Level 1
            Microsoft's "hardware acceleration" feature within the display properties pertains mainly to how much you want the system's graphic hardware subsystem to handle graphic functions. If you are experiencing problems, then back it off one tick at a time until the problem disappears. It the problem does not disappear, then you have other problems.

I don't know what impact there will be on Premiere. Obviously, apps that require DirectDraw and Direct 3D may not function well or at all.

I lifted the following but it explains the issue better than i did.

Today, almost all software applications use multimedia including graphics, audio, video, animation and text to make using the PC an enjoyable experience. This directly translates into a surge in demand for processing power, leading to the manufacture of powerful video and graphic cards. The Hardware Acceleration tab allows you to specify the performance of the graphics hardware present on your PC.

All applications have different hardware acceleration requirements, depending on the task they are meant to perform. Problems due to improper hardware acceleration settings include - mouse pointer problems, corrupt images, problems while working with or converting videos in MPEG and DVR MS formats, issues in playing video files in different media players and display problems with graphics in games. The symptoms include jerky videos and applications running slowly or failing to run at all. This problem is especially common in older PC's.

If the issue is resolved with hardware acceleration turned off, the source of the problem could be old video drivers for your video adapter. In that case, you need to contact the manufacturer of your video card to get the latest drivers.

If you have installed the latest video driver for your video adapter and you continue to experience graphic issues with the Graphics Hardware Acceleration slider set to Full, try experimenting by reducing the acceleration by one notch and checking the results.

Regards.
            • 3. Re: What does "Hardware acceleration" do?
              Level 1
              Nelson,

Thanks much for the input.

>If you are experiencing problems, then back it off one tick at a time until the problem disappears.

As I noted, this is precisely what I did and the crashing stopped when I backed it off to the "Disable all DirectDraw and Direct 3D... " level.

Perhaps you, or someone reading this could tell me if in more general terms my understanding of how graphics cards impact workflow and quality is correct.

For example, take a high end SD editing computer/monitor with all the bells & whistles. Everything works very fast and very well. Output is exceptional.

Now take that very same system and swap out for a much lower-end graphics card & monitor and disable all hardware acceleration for this skimpy graphics card.

Despite any slow down or graphic oddities you may have to deal with, wouldn't the quality of the actual output be the same? IOW, it might look like crap on this cheap monitor, but a DVD produced with either configuration would be the same?

Similar to connecting twenty dollar speakers to a five thousand dollar audio system. It may sound horrible, but the signal is still high quality.
              • 4. Re: What does "Hardware acceleration" do?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                The final DVD will not change, the quality will be identical. The only thing you might notice, as Premiere does use the GPU to help with some playback, is maybe reduced Premiere performance.
                • 5. Re: What does "Hardware acceleration" do?
                  Level 1
                  Hi Jim,

>The final DVD will not change, the quality will be identical.

Great, I had thought as much but wanted to make sure.