7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2007 9:24 AM by (Howard_Cromwell)

What HARDWARE can do for "low system memory" bug ???

fredou_79 Level 1
      Hi,

I've been having this bug forever witgh PP2 then PP3 with AspectHD v4.0 then v5.0, I've fixed about any Windows settings possible enabled /3GB and /PAE switch, nothing fixes it just make it less bad... I also use a little application to free ram (like the one in AE) when editing in PP3, but when I render it crashes since I can't do that during rendering.

Whenever my PP3 exe gets to 2GB of VM size or to 1GB of Mem usage it crashes with a "sorry PP3 has encountered a serious error" message.

The only thing that tech support at CINEFORM can offer me is to fragment my project file into lots of smaller ones. This I absolutly can't and won't do since I want to have access to all my clips in one project, and in doing so, would totally mess up my workflow.

I had a thought that since I get a low system memory message and that system memory consist of roughly RAM and CACHE; and that my RAM is 4 GB with /3GB and /PAE switches enabled and that the maximum PP3 can handle RAMwise, that the low system memory must be caused then by low cache...!

My CPU is AMD64 Athlon x2 4600+ with 512 MB of L2 cache, which means 256 MB per core... not much when I look at the new XEONs or Core Duo with 4096 MB (2GB per core).

To what extend can Cache impact on this bug, am I right to a certain degree? Or Cache hasn't an impact significant enough...

What about the rize in clocking, would this impact the memory leak or this would just fasten the time it takes my computer to crash upon rendering ?

And what about something like MATROX x2 would this help solve the bug or maybe and probably not ?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Frédéric Leclair

My project settings are:
      CFHD low resolution 1440x1080, 60i
      about 1.2 TB of data including wav and CFHD files (low res)

My computer settings:
      Windows XP Pro (all upgrapded)
      Adobe Premiere CS3 with AspectHD v5.0 (last Build upgraded)
      Ultramon with 2 monitor LCD 19" wide
      AMD64 Athlon x2 4600+
      ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
      4 GB of DDR2 RAM 733 mghz (4 x 1 GB chips)
      MATROX APVe
      Soundblaster X-FI
      c: 160 GB
      Z: RAID 0 of 1 TB (3x320GB)
      Y: RAID 0 of 500 GB (2x250GB)
        • 1. Re: What HARDWARE can do for "low system memory" bug ???
          Level 1
          I haven't received this error, yet. Can you try to edit with a native HDV project to see if the problem still occurs?

- Aanarav
          • 2. Re: What HARDWARE can do for "low system memory" bug ???
            fredou_79 Level 1
            Sorry but the only way I could edit native HDV and replicate the project is to trnascode all the files which takes about 1 TB: I don't have the hard drive space to do that.

But, my small project in CFHD don't have this crash.

Never edited in HDV but read on forums that the result was less then flawless.

Right now I've trying to export all my project to DV for my assistant-editor who works with AVID and don't own PP3 nor CINEFORM... So maybe I'll be able to try and replicate in DV, but that will be in a couple of days no less the time I transcode all...

Any thoughts on the rest of my post?

Thank you.

Frédéric

BTW: PP2 was worse when moving clip around in timeline but it could render wityhout problem even if memory went high; PP3 is the reverse, I can hadle better editing workflow without crashing even if I get the memory message, but it crashes automaticaly when I try to render or export anything.
            • 3. Re: What HARDWARE can do for "low system memory" bug ???
              Andy Urtu Level 1
              There is a new setting in CS3 under preferences "Optimize rendering" for Memory or Speed. (or something like that. I am not at my machine) Change the setting to optimize for Memory.

CS3 uses more threads for rendering and can use up memory fast. Setting to Optimize for Memory reduces the number of threads and may help the out of memory problem. This is also explained in the manual.
              • 4. Re: What HARDWARE can do for "low system memory" bug ???
                Level 1
                You may also want to download a program to check your ram. Since RAM is accessed randomly, small projects may not access enough RAM for the problem to show up. Just a thought, I had a bad stick once that caused similar problems.

http://www.memtest86.com/

KMS
                • 5. Re: What HARDWARE can do for "low system memory" bug ???
                  Miles Johnston
                  CS3, XP Pro, P4 dual core, , 3GB, 4GB RAM, Xtrem Pro100 Matrox card. The Display card is a Matrox P750 dual screen card, running at 1920x1280-60Hz

With a project, 10 mins long, 4 titles, I get Warning Error:- CS3 is running low on memory, Save your project. So I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB, no difference.
                  I have also had pages of yellow triangle dispay card errors. I f I see any yelloe triangle alerts (bottom right of the CS3 display), I Save and shut down (power down).

I have lost one entire project already,
                  I have broken things down to 10min sections, which is ridiculous.
                  Doing almost nothing the memory useage is running near 3.6GB!

Seems to occur when adjusting titles/ resizing /adjusting them. Doing any keframe work is also prone to Errors.
                  The Fonts are what came with CS3.

Its like walking on ice doing edits.

Editing SD product.
                  The project I lost was an hour long, and I already had disjointed Audio and video sections in the later part of the timeline. This took a great deal of time to resync the audio with the video. (these A&V sections were still linked, but thrown about the time line like confetti. Shown up with big red error alerts.)
                  • 6. Re: What HARDWARE can do for "low system memory" bug ???
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    It may be Matrox related. Ask over there.
                    • 7. Re: What HARDWARE can do for "low system memory" bug ???
                      Level 1
                      > This I absolutly can't and won't do since I want to have access to all my clips in one project, and in doing so, would totally mess up my workflow

How so?