9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2007 4:30 AM by (idar_lettrem)

Why do I have to wait 15 minutes when importing tons of media to my project library?

Level 1
      Why does premiere care if I import 1 video or 5 MILLION videos to my project library? Why do I need to wait forever for them to import when I only wish to add them to the project library?

If I were adding them to a timeline, I could understand it would take a while. But I'm trying to add 20-40 WMVs to just the project library so I can even begin to use them on a timeline. But I sit here and wait.. and wait.. and wait.. and 10 minutes later it's not even done importing. My premiere is locked up.. I can't see anything.. my video card is futzing out, waiting.. and waiting.. and waiting.

Before anyone posts back, know I've been using computers, and programming them, in multiple languages, since punchcards were all the rage. I have a iddy biddy system at home. A little x2 3800+ with 2gb ram. Yeah, it's not a video workstation, but I'm just trying to add files to my project.

Why do I need to wait so long? What, oh what, are you doing to my pr0n while I try to add it to my project library premiere?
        • 1. Re: Why do I have to wait 15 minutes when importing tons of media to my project library?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          >add 20-40 WMVs

What happens if you do the same with 20-40 DV AVI Type 2 files?

While Pro3 may "work" with WMV input files... it PREFERS DV AVI Type 2 (as has been discussed in many message threads in the 4-5 years I've been reading in Premiere forums)

Your file type MAY be the cause of the delay
          • 2. Re: Why do I have to wait 15 minutes when importing tons of media to my project library?
            Level 1
            I suppose I should elaborate.

Why are you doing anything more than inserting a shortcut for this video into the project panel? Why do you need to analyze anything in the least about the asset I imported before I actually 'do' anything with it? And why does it take a machine 20 minutes to do 'whatever it is doing'?

Fix it. Premiere was so much better back in 6.5. You could change project settings after you made the project. You could re-link assets that didn't match identically without a problem and predictably. You could import any number of files instantly.

The only thing better about premiere these days is it renders assets better. Otherwise, 6.5 is superior in every possible way.
            • 3. Re: Why do I have to wait 15 minutes when importing tons of media to my project library?
              Level 1
              Jason I see you are back to rant.

> Why do you need to analyze anything in the least about the asset I imported before I actually 'do' anything with it?

Come on now, surely you cannot be serious?

> Otherwise, 6.5 is superior in every possible way.

Hmmm I'm sure it is...

Solve your problems and go back and use Premiere 6.5 and enjoy 8 bit truncation on your video.
              • 4. Re: Why do I have to wait 15 minutes when importing tons of media to my project library?
                Level 1
                The new studio offers many chances to rant! So why shouldn't I? You don't need to read this.

Windows Explorer can read length, codec and dimensions fairly instantly and accurately. What more does Premiere need to analyze on import? Why can explorer get all the details it needs instantly but premiere, a video editing app, can't?

Explain to me what it's doing that I don't understand if you wish, I'm sure there's more people that would like to know!

And do note I said, only thing better about premiere these days is it renders assets better. Possibly keyframing and product suite information sharing. Otherwise, the guts of editing and document setup are inferior. Obviously proper rendering of assets is needed and anchors me to newer versions, but the rest of the poor ideas turned 'features' do not need to bollux up this software any longer.

What's wrong with re-linking a media asset that differs in resolution, length, audio spec, etc?

Why shouldn't I be able to adjust project settings after I create the project?

Why does premiere need to lock up and analyze every piece of footage with a magnifying glass up its *** before you can use it?

Why can't I clip replace an entire video on a timeline with another asset while retaining in/out points?

There's just some serious sheer stupidity in this software now.
                • 5. Re: Why do I have to wait 15 minutes when importing tons of media to my project library?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                  >Why can explorer get all the details it needs instantly but premiere, a video editing app, can't?

Media Player merely has to play it. Premiere Pro has to get it organized to show the exact waveform of the audio, and figure out how to play a single frame, every frame. This is tough with temporally compressed media.

>What's wrong with re-linking a media asset that differs in resolution, length, audio spec, etc?

It just isn't allowed. However, now that "Replace Clip" works OK, it is not as critical except for people who build templates.

>Why can't I clip replace an entire video on a timeline with another asset while retaining in/out points?

Because they have not implemented that yet? Hell, Clip Replace just became an available feature. Give it time.

Seriously, there are lots of things wrong with Premiere Pro CS3. Many things work wrong, or backwards, or slow. Decide if it is better for you or not based on your own use cases. It is better for me than 6.5 was, but I can certainly see where it would be better for some people to use 6.5 or Avid, or even FCP.

Your NLE should work for you in a way as close to your desired work-flow as possible. Which is best for you?
                  • 6. Re: Why do I have to wait 15 minutes when importing tons of media to my project library?
                    Jeron Coolman Level 1
                    You said it takes 15 minutes to import 20-40 files, so if we say 30 files, then it is taking around 30 seconds per file to import.

To put this into perspective, I remember when it would take up to 5 minutes per file to import into an Avid project, so 30 seconds per file is no big deal for me, especially since it only happens once during a project when I first import it.

I do agree with you, that it would be really nice to know what Premiere Pro is doing when it imports a media file, but I'm a curious creature by nature :)
                    • 7. Re: Why do I have to wait 15 minutes when importing tons of media to my project library?
                      It takes 5-6 minutes (actual time) to open a project. I've learned to turn on my computer, Launch CS3, then click open my project. While I wait, I can check my e-mail, read the sports, by then it opens.

Well, at least I'm not the only one with these problems and opinions of Premiere. It's unfortunate that Adobe doesn't care.
                      • 8. Re: Why do I have to wait 15 minutes when importing tons of media to my project library?
                        Level 1
                        I really feel we need a sub-section here in the forums for people who just want to rant. Nothing wrong with a good rant, just need a place for them.
                        • 9. Re: Why do I have to wait 15 minutes when importing tons of media to my project library?
                          Level 1
                          Jason - are You sure that your "little x2 3800+ with 2gb ram" is not beeing strained by other ongoing tasks /processes/ codec issues, ... or that you have some machine dependent problems. I was also a former programmer but that didn't protect me from overseeing some basic machine related issues with respect to the "NLE aerea".
                          For my part - with a decent, but not top notch machine - file imports to my asset never occupies more than maximum 1-2 minutes. Normally such a task goes so fast that it is not even noticed by me as disturbing at all. And then we even speak of up until 20- 40-60 files (10 sec- 2 min's) in SD as well as HD. With and without cineform.