30 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2008 6:17 AM by Eddie Lotter

Type does not match message when re-linking

Ma3rk Level 1
      I just got CS3 this morning and have already made use of it to "translate" a project being done in Premiere 6 in order to do some corrective work in After Effects 7.

I've run into an error message that I'm not sure how to resolve. I've imported a Prem6 project into CS3 and some media is listed as offline. Odd, since I know they're there and working fine in Prem 6.

When I try to re-link the media, navigate to select the AVI file, then click Select, I get a message box stating:

"The selected file cannot be linked because its type (video) does not match the original file's type (audio and video)."

The file is video only though and with a fresh empty project started, it imports into CS3 just fine.

Anyway to get around this?

Thanks,
      Mark
        • 1. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          Apparently, the P6 project is telling the PPro CS3 project that the offline file should have audio as well as video.

Try importing the video-only clip separately, then use the new CS3 Replace Asset command to replace the offline clip.

I haven't tested this particular scenario myself, but if I were to test it, that's where I'd start.

BTW, mixing and matching new and old versions of individual and Suite apps like you've done (P6, PPro CS3, AE7) may continue to cause unexpected results in your workflow.
          • 2. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
            Ma3rk Level 1
            Thanks, Jeff. I'll give that a shot. That's also how I'm used to replacing a clip in an After Effects timeline.

As far as the workflow, for this project that came to me I don't get a choice. It was originally done years ago in P6 and a number of the assests simply aren't recognized by anything else unfortunately. I'm replacing as much as possible with new material. Clips were captured on different systems at different aspects, formats, field order, pixel ratios, and frame rates. It's a true "Frankenstein" of a project which is a bit ironic as it's a series on the old Hammer horror classics.

The other issue though is that the CS3 products have a serious problem in that my Matrox DigiSuite captured material isn't being properly recognized. The WAV files are fine but the AVI is truncated severely. Every version of AE that I've owned works fine with them as does Encore 1.5. Encore was the reason I upgraded in the first place to CS3, but this problem pretty much negates doing that at this point.

I tried opening a tech support case when I notice the problem with the trial version, but they responded that they don't do tech support on trial versions. Now that I've officially received the full product, perhaps they'll listen.

Thanks,

Mark
            • 3. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
              Mark, migrating a project from that far back is likely going to cause problems. If you have any of the newer versions between PR6.0 and CS3, try migrating it in steps. For example, PR6.0 to PR6.5, then PR6.5 to PPro 1.0, then PPro 1.0 to CS3.
              • 4. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                Ma3rk Level 1
                I'm not actually migrating the project to CS3, although I can use it to clean up sections exported from the Prem6 version. I wish I could but at this stage it would be too much extra work I fear.

Earlier, I tred to see if I could get a trial version of the last on CS3 version of PPro but it was no longer available to download.

M.
                • 5. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                  the selected file cannot be linked because its type (audio) does not match the oroginal file's type (audio and video)
                  • 7. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                    Level 1
                    I can't link the file. It was digitized as audio only but than it got lost and now I am trying to link it to the original file that its from and it doesnt link rather than giving me an error like this
                    • 8. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      Nothing you can do.
                      • 9. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                        Level 1
                        Welcome to my hell. I just posted about this a couple days ago.. I'm opening old PP1.5 and PP2 files and am having trouble linking files, and in CS3 documents themselves I find I cannot relink videos that differ in audio (mono/stereo/no audio/etc).

It's just a new 'feature' (ya right) that I hate so far, and people in my thread will tell you that premiere SHOULD do this, and you should pre-process all files to be similar before working with them. It's something I entirely don't agree with, but before they all find your thread, I think it should go back to how it used to be..
                        • 10. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                          Phil Griffith Level 2
                          i would recommend that you sell your copy of premiere and go buy something else and then you can post on their forum for a while.
                          • 12. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                            Level 1
                            the project was done in pp2 and was opened just a while later. therfore I am asking how can I link the files properly. Another thing is that I have same name files yet in a different folder from same project. same name but one is audio video and another is only audio.
                            • 13. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                              Level 1
                              They will tell you that you must prepare all your assets that differ for importing into the new premiere. That is, you must match your current source files to the original source you're linking them to. If one has stereo and the other has mono, you can't do it. If one has audio and the other doesn't, you can't do it. Welcome to the 'new' premiere.. Bonus points? They'll (being some forum morons here) will tell you that this is "good".
                              • 14. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                Phil Griffith Level 2
                                Roma, from one "moron", I would think that if you are trying to link to same files that you had in your old project, then the audio/video would be the same that it is looking for. I personally don't do much file relinking so I can't speak from experience.
                                • 15. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  Jason,

I think Roma has hit upon why Premiere does things the way it does. She has two files with the same name, but different extensions, one is video, the other is audio. She's trying to relink the wrong file to the wrong clip, hence she can't. While you would prefer Premiere allowed her to do so, it would have messed up her edits.

Given your unusual work flow with translations, I'm starting to think the way Premiere works now is the better way, and that it's you who need to find a better work flow.
                                  • 16. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                    OsakaWebbie Level 1
                                    Pardon me for jumping onto an old thread, but I have the same problem (except that in my case the error message is very truthful - after using only the video portion of some clips in my project, I edited the original files to be video-only AVI clips, because the audio will never be used). The reason I jumped in here is that I want to respond to this in Jeff's first reply:
                                    > Try importing the video-only clip separately, then use the new CS3 Replace Asset command to replace the offline clip.

I imported the video-only clips, but I can't find any Replace Asset command in PPro CS3. There is also no mention of it in the help files, and Google hits I found seem to all be talking about Encore, not PPro, with one exception that was also a post by Jeff (I think it's the same Jeff, anyway - if I'm wrong, forgive me). It sounds like a handy command, if I can find it.

Naturally I can Alt-Drag the imported clip onto the offline placeholder in the timeline, but then it will use the first part of the clip, not start where the old one did. I could drag it to the source monitor first and set the In Point, but I would need to know where the In Point needs to be - since the clip is offline I can't tell that easily... or can I? Is there a way to determine from the offline clip placeholder what point in the original asset the placeholder's In Point was? That would be sufficient as a solution for me.

In case you are wondering, my new and old clips are exactly the same length and the same video content - the only difference is lack of audio (which I wasn't using anyway).
                                    • 17. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                      Hi Karen,

Yes, I was referring to the Alt+Drag/Replace With Clip command.

When you double-click the offline clip in the sequence, you only get the Edit Offline Clip dialog, which only contains the media start/end timecode.

*However*, if you drag the offline clip from the timeline to the Source Monitor, the in/out points for the clip will show up in the SM time ruler.

HTH,

-Jeff
                                      • 18. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                        OsakaWebbie Level 1
                                        Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I was busy with something else, so it took me awhile to get back to this project, but dragging from the timeline to the source monitor was helpful. It sure would be nice if there was a way to directly relink an asset even if the new one doesn't have audio, but I guess that will have to be a hope for a future version.

One more related question: Is there a way to ask PPro to tell you about all the clips it considers offline, and if used, which timeline each is used in? If offline clips had their own label color, I'd make it bright red so I would notice it, but it appears that even when offline, a clip retains the label of what it would be. Explanation: I am doing a lot of housekeeping with my massive collection of clips (reorganizing folders, removing unwanted audio, cleaning up filenames, etc.), and it's difficult to remember what I have used already and have to fix in the project. In this case, I didn't discover the lost links until I was showing my in-process project via a DVD, when everyone turned to me and asked what those big red scenes were that had "OFFLINE" in many languages. If they were all in the same bin I could just order by the Offline Properties column, but this is a complex project - 12 songs with something like 30-40 video clips per song - so if I don't use bins I'll lose my mind.
                                        • 19. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                          Type "offline" into the Search bar above the bin list in the Project pane.. All offline clips will be revealed.

Next to the thumbnail of a selected clip in the Project panel is a list of statistics. Under the clip name is an entry that indicates how many times that clip is used in the project. Clicking on the little triangle next to that entry will list the sequences and the sequence time codes where the instances of the clip occur.
                                          • 20. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                            OsakaWebbie Level 1
                                            Wow, I had never before noticed the Search bar - I guess I'm blind (in my defense, I have only had CS3 for about a month...[wink]). I did have to experiment a bit to figure out exactly how to get the offline clips, though. Typing "offline" in the "Find:" box didn't produce any results, either with the "In:" equal to the default ("Name", which I didn't expect to work) or "Offline Properties". I didn't try any other "In:" settings with the word "offline" as the search word, so I don't know if there is perhaps a field where that is the value to look for. But I next edited the columns to add Offline Properties as a column so I could see what value PPro uses for that field: the answer is "Video".

So to readers who might find this thread, change the "In:" to "Offline Properties" and then type "video" (or even just "v" will do it) in the "Find:" spot, and offline video clips will be shown, and if they are in sub-bins, those bins will expand. I suppose other types of assets would have other values, perhaps "Audio", "Title", etc. - I didn't experiment with that. But this appears to be the principle. I guess if I want to check for all the different types of assets I'll need to enter the first letter of each type (I doubt I can just say "not null" or something). Thanks once again, Jeff, for pointing me in the right direction.

Next question (hopefully my last on this thread), which would be useful for not only offline clips but other clip management as well: If I see an asset in my project list and it says it is being used some number of times (i.e. at least once), can I get it to tell me which timeline(s) it is used in?
                                            • 21. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                              Eddie Lotter Level 4

See Find a clip in the Timeline in the PPro CS3 Help.

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
                                              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                              - Over 250 free tutorials
                                              - Maintained by editors like you
                                              Forum FAQ
                                              • 22. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                                >If I see an asset in my project list and it says it is being used some number of times (i.e. at least once), can I get it to tell me which timeline(s) it is used in?

Please read the last paragraph of post #19 again. The thumbnail is the video thumbnail at the top of the Project panel (unless you have changed your settings to hide it).
                                                • 23. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

I'm sure once she sees the picture in the PPro Help she will understand the process. :)

Cheers
                                                  Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                                  • 24. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                                    OsakaWebbie Level 1
                                                    Sorry, Jeff! I was focused on the searching step when I read #19, and it was only after that when I thought about wanting to know where a clip is used. That's the world's smallest triangle, but it tells me exactly what I want. Thanks!

Eddie, sometimes it works to search the PPro Help for what I want to know, especially if I know a functionality exists and what part of PPro that functionality is in but I can't remember how to use it (or the question has distinctive search words). But if I don't know if what I want is possible, and don't know what part of the workspace would do it (e.g. in this case it could have been related to the project pane, the clip menu, or a right-click menu) and the search words would be vague (in this case, something like "clip usage timeline"), the Help doesn't help, if you know what I mean. So, sorry for my dumb questions (especially since Jeff already told me the answer but I missed it! I promise to pay better attention), but I'm getting more and more of the hang of CS3 and will hopefully be soon starting to help answer questions instead of just asking. It sure is nice to have my user interface in English (in my Premiere 6.5 and PPro 1.0 the whole interface was in Japanese), so that should speed up the learning curve.
                                                    • 25. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                                      You're welcome. :)
                                                      • 26. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                                        Karen, thanks for posting your results to help others who find the thread. The "find" you wanted is "offline" in the find box and "Status" in the "In" box. This works even if you don't have the status column as one of those you list. Your solution worked because the offline clips you were interested in had "video" offline.
                                                        • 27. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                                          OsakaWebbie Level 1
                                                          Thanks. There were lots of choices for "In:", and I wouldn't have had a clue which ones to try. That method is better than using the "Offline Properties" because it will catch any type of asset in one search. I'm learning more every day!
                                                          • 28. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                                            Eddie Lotter Level 4

Karen, I was not being critical of your searching capabilities. Editing has a whole world of jargon, which needs to be learned. Hence the link I provided to tutorials that really will teach you what you need to know.

Cheers
                                                            Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                                            • 29. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                                              OsakaWebbie Level 1
                                                              Wow, I really need to get my eyes checked! (Or always click "Show All Messages" - perhaps the pagination tricked me this time.) Eddie, I not only didn't notice half of one of Jeff's posts previously, I also completely missed your post #21. As far as I knew, the replies to #20 were Jeff's #22 and your #23 only. So I thought you were suggesting that I should have been able to find that Help page on my own with searches. I did think it was out of character, since I know you are normally not the type to just say "read the manual" with no other information (you are always very helpful, and yes, those look like good tutorials). But if I had seen #21, I would have realized that #23 was actually more talking to Jeff than to me, and not your first post in this discussion. (Those three posts were all written while I was asleep, so I wasn't seeing them gradually as they came in.)

All three of you guys have been a lot of help - thanks! :-) And sorry for my blindness!
                                                              • 30. Re: Type does not match message when re-linking
                                                                Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                                                >And sorry for my blindness!

No problem. We're all Human, but sometimes it takes a little reminding. ;)

Cheers
                                                                Eddie

Forum FAQ