10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2007 7:26 AM by (Rick_Starsick)

My YouTube video looks blurry using Adobe Media Encoder

Im trying to upload a video to YouTube but the video always turns out blurry and pixilated regardless of what settings I use in my Adobe Media Encoder. I shot the video on a Sony 1080i HD camcorder, I know YouTube reduces the quality but I expect my images (ie peoples faces) should still be clear enough to see but that hasnt been the case. I went to the following site for guidance but I still cant get it right.

http://www.squidoo.com/youtuberight

Here are my settings that I thought would make my video look great on YouTube. What am I doing wrong?

H.264 format
      Frame Width (pixels): 320
      Frame Height (pixels): 240
      4:3 Aspect Ratio
      30 frames per second
      TV Standard: NTSC
      Bitrate Encoding: VBR, 1 Pass
      Target Bitrate (Mbps): 0.344
      Maximum Bitrate (Mbps): 0.64
      MP3 audio

Drogba
        • 1. Re: My YouTube video looks blurry using Adobe Media Encoder
          (C._David_Young) Level 1
          I did a quick search and found

http://adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc48741/5

I am sure there are other posts if you just look around.
          • 2. Re: My YouTube video looks blurry using Adobe Media Encoder
            Here is what I have done to make my YouTube videos look as good as possible. Check them out by searching for Wondermous Media on YouTube and let me know what you think. Just go to Adobe Media encoder, and select the preset for Apple Ipod 720x480 resolution. The YouTube preset does not work well because YouTube reencodes EVERYTTHING when you upload to the site. Therefore more pixels is better.

BELIEVE ME, I have tried everything and this has worked the best so far. Any other comments are welcome!
            • 3. Re: My YouTube video looks blurry using Adobe Media Encoder
              Level 1
              Hey Rick,
              I YouTube'd Wondermous Media, and found a bunch of production and dance videos. Are these yours? They look great!
              So what preset EXACTLY are you using? H.264? Or Quicktime? And you're exporting 720x480 files, then uploading those to YouTube? Are you using the default settings, or changing anything? CBR or VBR?
              As you can see, I am VERY curious. I upload a LOT of YouTube videos, and would love better quality like this.
              ~Corey
              • 4. Re: My YouTube video looks blurry using Adobe Media Encoder
                Level 1
                Yes-these are mine. Thank you very much for your compliment, and I appreciate any feedback.

Key to a great You Tube video is your source. Was it shot on a pretty good camera (HD, 3 CCD SD or eq.) Also, I use the Adobe Media Encoder, H.264 Apple IPod 720x480 setting to get a smaller file size, yet maintain quality as much as possible. I also use the default settings.

Let me know if this was helpful, and I am uploading more of my work to You Tube for review. Take care!
                • 5. Re: My YouTube video looks blurry using Adobe Media Encoder
                  Miles Johnston Level 1
                  Uploading as Flash Video file gave me much better results, in the Adobe Media Encoder, as I have been led to believe that is what YOUTUBE uses. Using Windows Media is a disaster. But I will check the ipod setting.
                  • 6. Re: My YouTube video looks blurry using Adobe Media Encoder
                    Level 1
                    -Rick
                    I checked one of your videos.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tCi2RD4nenM

The resolution and clarity of the video was great but I was really impressed with the effects, especially at the begining of the video.

I'm going to test out the preset for Apple Ipod 720x480 resolution to see how my video turns out.

-Cory
                    What problems have you been experiencing uploading to YouTube?

-Miles
                    Did you use the default settings when uploading as Flash Video file?
                    • 7. Re: My YouTube video looks blurry using Adobe Media Encoder
                      x34 Level 1
                      I heard sometime ago that YouTube converts everything uploaded to
                      Flash or FLV format. I have not used the iPod format for this purpose in CS3 but Rick has obviously found that it works well, however, I would recommend using Adobe Media Encoder to FLV and set it to 320X240 with no more than 1MB/sec bit rate to maximize quality and minimize file size since it's not going to be larger than that on Youtube.

The FLV raw file will be ecoded using VP6 or Sorenson's older version courtesy of PPro CS3 unfortunatley, but I feel the best codec to use is 264. Why PPro, especially CS3, does not offer this codec is unkown. That could be a reason why Rick's videos look good and that he may have shot them in HD. But then again, HD to 320X240 would seem to be self defeating. iPod format is indeed, believe it or not, 720X480. If you have published anything to the iTunes store, this is a required format which is not optional as it is with Youtube.
                      • 8. Re: My YouTube video looks blurry using Adobe Media Encoder
                        Level 1
                        Thanks for the compliments! I have uploaded some other videos as well-check'em out and let me know what you think. I used the IPOD LARGE preset, but changed the video size to 720x480. What you will also notice is that the more movement you have in any video you upload to YouTube, the blockier or more blurry they will become. I think it has to do with the sampling rate it is down-sampled to by YouTube. In reference to my videos, I usually use AE and Magic Bullet Look Suite to change the frame rate to 24fps and diffuse the white a little, plus every "lighting" effect, slow-motion, etc., is post-production. As far as Flash is concerned, I have yet to get a very good sample for YouTube(I must be doing something wrong). H.264 is it for me so far. Please keep checking Wondermous Media for new video samples!
                        • 9. Re: My YouTube video looks blurry using Adobe Media Encoder
                          Level 1
                          Oh sorry- last point is I shot all of my videos in SD, but use the Canon GL1 as my camera....I have four that we use in our shoots. Great lenses on these babies!
                          • 10. Re: My YouTube video looks blurry using Adobe Media Encoder
                            Level 1
                            Used The IPOD Large preset and changed the resolution to 720x480(default is 640x480) for my latest uploads - about 12 so far, with some dating before I bought the GL1's and ripped from archived DVD's. Some quality loss, but with the "block-party" of YouTube, it isn't noticeable. I tried different settings with Flash, but still can't get it too work well. H.264 for me I think, is it. Check out my videos by searching for Wondermous Media and if you like, comment on them. Thanks!