25 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2007 9:22 PM by Jim_Simon

Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3

Any help you people can provide me is much appreciated.
      I bought Premiere Pro 2.0 in May and it was advertised i will get the CS3 upgrade free of charge. I found the CS3 is available for download full or upgrade versions. Please can somebody post the phone number or link for download? I understand i have to call Adobe to get the serial number which i will.
      Thanks to all.
        • 1. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
          Bob Ramage Level 1
          I believe you simply call the regular customer support number. I called earlier today and they told me that new serial numbers will not be available until the end of this week, however.
          • 2. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Personal opinion here... I would not trust downloading that large and expensive a package

I'm going to wait until the physical media is available later this month to order my free upgrade

Too easy for something to go wrong with that large a download
            • 3. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
              Level 1
              Thank you for your replies.
              • 4. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                Level 1
                Are you sure the the boxed version is not ready for sale? It say's it is in the Adobe store.
                • 5. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  I don't know about the boxed version as a NEW sale... I bought PPro2 during the "buy now, get 3 for free" time... and that I do know is not ready, 'cause I've called the 800 number and was told the upgrade won't be ready until the end of July
                  • 6. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                    If you do not have the upgrade pdf document for the free upgrade to Premiere Pro CS3 here is the link to a copy:
                    http://www.videoguys.com/images/PDF/CS3UpgradeProgram.pdf

I sent mine in two months ago and received a confirmation back from Adobe.
                    PPBM+ Premiere Pro
                    DV & HDV Benchmarks
                    • 7. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                      Level 1
                      Thanks. I called Adobe and got all the info i needed now i'm waiting for my package.
                      • 8. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                        I called on the telephone a couple of months ago when I ordered Premiere Pro 2.0 and I gave them my credit card number to cover the shipping ($6.38) and was told that they would just charge me and mail CS3 upgrade out as soon as it was ready. Hope to see that in the mail soon!
                        • 9. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                          (*|*) Level 1
                          Good support.
                          • 10. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                            >Personal opinion here... I would not trust downloading that large and expensive a package <snip> Too easy for something to go wrong with that large a download<br /><br />You are absolutely correct on this.  It's INSANE to rely on a download that large.  Further, IMO, as mentioned on another post, it's insane to load CS3 on anything but a freshly loaded, dedicated system.  Do a format C and reload your OS and service packs and drivers.  Keep the system as simple as possible ... no extraneous software or drivers or hardware.  I am going to get rid of my CREATIVE LABS SoundBlaster sound card as I suspect its drivers such and are conflicting or adding complexity to the sys.  Anyone here had problems with CREATIVE LABS drivers?<br /><br />James<br /><br />P.S. Also, all the Matrox hardware and drivers will be HISTORY.  I'll keep my Matrox Parhelia APVe tripple head video card and HOPE it doesn't enter any problems into the sys and if it does, I'm throwing it out the window.  (I will film it and post if I do.)
                            • 11. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                              My Matrox Parhelia APVe works fine with CS3. And by Creative Labs Audigy card works fine as well.

I will be selling my APVe card soon and getting one with OpenGL for my SD projects since my new AJA XENA card will provide HD output to my external monitor.
                              • 12. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                                Level 1
                                >My Matrox Parhelia APVe works fine with CS3.

Good to hear that you're happy with your APVe. I don't want to have to suspect this element once I re-load my sys with CS3.

>And by Creative Labs Audigy card works fine as well.

Is there any reason you don't just use your motherboard sound?

I am seriously skeptical of CREATIVE LAB'S products because, after NEVER in my life having had a sound problem on a PC, I purchse three (3) of their products in the past year (their high-end card, their mid-end card and their low-end card) and ALL of them have given me driver installation problems and rough operation.

>I will be selling my APVe card soon and getting one with OpenGL for my SD projects since my new AJA XENA card will provide HD output to my external monitor.

How much do you want for the card?

James
                                • 13. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                  James,

I didn't specify the motherboard to the guy who built my system. I specified the chip before it was actually released, and the audio card. I didn't even know until quite recently that my mobo had decent audio features.

That's why.

I haven't figured out what the card is worth. I figure 75% of average prices quoted around the 'net. So 75% of $350 is a bit over $250 - seems like $250 would be fair. It has been in use since late October as I recall.
                                  • 14. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                                    Level 1
                                    Just to let you guys to know that today July 6 i have received my package. During the installation i got an error 2739 i don't know why but i'm calling Adobe shortly. All the serial numbers are in the package, premiere pro, encore and onlocation. Good luck and thanks to the ones who help me.
                                    • 15. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                                      Level 1
                                      >James, I didn't specify the motherboard to the guy who built my system.

I guess that makes sense. I have asked myself this question several times, should one match their motherboard to their processor or the processor to the motherboard. In my case, when building my last sys, I started with the motherboard. I told my TD that for this sys I wanted a motherboard that I would not "grow out of" for at least 3 - 4 years. This meant it had to be large enough to handle many HDs and slots for various cards, as well as processors.

At this time I don't know if I have made a mistake, because I don't think the HUGE mother bd I got can handle the new QUAD processors. I went to the Intel site where thay list all the motherbds and noted they didn't seem to list the new QUAD processors. This is really a pisser, can't win if you do can't win if you don't.

>I specified the chip before it was actually released,

So by this I surmise you figure out the best chip (processor) to get and then back that into the motherboard, making certain the bd has enough expansion capability? There is also the memory and the power supply to consider.

>and the audio card. I didn't even know until quite recently that my mobo had decent audio features.

Yes, today's mother bds, according to my TD, have on-board audio that is as good and often better than cards, such as the Sound Blaster series.

Tonight, however, my new ALESIS Multimix 12 USB mixer with phantom power and pre amps just arrived from B&H Photo in NYC. After spending about 2 hours studying the very nicely and carefully written 40-page instruction booklet (complete with glossary), I see that this mixer can double as a sophisticated external SOUND CARD. Wow! So, not only will it give me compyter I/O via the USB cable, but all the additional benefits of a recording studio mixer and sound reinforcement mixer. I still havent plugged it into the sys, but I look forward to seeing how it will integrate and how it will work with ADOBE's new sound package,

BTW, for those of you who aren't familiar with B&H you should be. These peole are totally professional, sell quality professional products, ship out almost immediately and often for free, charge the best or reasonable prices and wave sales tax on out of state order. ALso, in the rare even you have to return something, they return and refund quickly and without hassel if you follow their reasonable proceedure.

>I haven't figured out what the card is worth. I figure 75% of average prices quoted around the 'net. So 75% of $350 is a bit over $250 - seems like $250 would be fair. It has been in use since late October as I recall.

I think I paid something like $399 for my card about 19 months ago. I don't know what a reasonable amount to discount something is vs time, and I'm sure you are being fair, however I would'nt want to pay more than $50 to $100 for this card because I really don't need it. I would simply be purchasing it for my boys' computer. I have two sons who are becomming "avid" Premiere Pro users (NPI).

James
                                      • 16. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                                        Level 1
                                        >Just to let you guys to know that today July 6 i have received my package.

By this I now understand that ADOBE is shipping CS3 in boxes as well as downloads. You just received it in the box. I mentioned in an earlier post that I felt downloading this program, given it' size is unwise (actually I said insane).

>During the installation i got an error 2739 i don't know why but i'm calling Adobe shortly.

Please tell us what this means? Thanks in advance.

Question: DID YOU RE_LOAD YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE INSTALLING CS3? Did you reformat your c-drive, re-load Win XP and Service Pack 2 before loading CS2. Also, as I have mentioned here in earlier posts, I would never dream of loading CS3 (or any complex application) onto a system that has been adulterated by previous versions, stale or uninstalled drivers, and a sys reg, ini files, autoexec.bat and bios settings that are not fresh and current.

Please tell me the conditions you loaded CS3. I am willing to bet that CS3 will run perfectly if it is a) installed on a clean fresh system and b) installed from a box version and c) no adulterating drivers (such as Matrox RTX10 or SoundBlaster) are installed.

>All the serial numbers are in the package, premiere pro, encore and onlocation.

Good to hear. I'm sure the serial number problems will be handled by ADOBE quickly. I personally don't like this stuff whereby you have to activate the software by TCPIP or phone but I guess they have to do what they have to do to keep people from stealing their product. Actually, there is no real liability to people "stealing" their product as this is a/the way MICROSOFT became the dominant software company on the planet. They WANTED people to "steal" their product. This way they were able to disseminate their product to the entire WORLD and involk MetCalf's Law. Now that everyone is hooked on the MSDOS, we all HAVE to buy their product, and we do. ADOBE Premiere Pro is not nearly ubiquitous enough to arrogantly worry about theft at this point. ADOBE should WANT thousands of additional poor editors (people who can't afford the initial $600 purchase price) to get a copy and start using it. This way these people will eventually become professional and good. They will then get jobs or make films that make money and THEN they will gladly purchase the software from ADOBE, not only because they will feel an ethical sense of duty to do so, but because they will easily be able to afford it. Now ADOBE has added a base of thousands of additional potential customers whereas by listening to the young-dumb-greedy execs in their company, they are cutting off a sizable portion of their future market. But big greedy corporations and the young & the dumb -- like people who don't vote for "spoilers" -- have their brains wired up to only consider the short-term, not the long-term. Short-term people and entities are thus one of the key plagues that are ruining this world and they need to be handled ASAP.

James Jaeger
                                        • 17. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                                          Level 1
                                          .............During the installation i got an error 2739 i don't know why but i'm calling Adobe shortly.
                                          Please tell us what this means? Thanks in advance..........

After a few hours i got a hold of Adobe tech support.
                                          The error is a dll file needs to reactivate. After that it installed run like a champ. It looks nice but it's too early, some people have report some problems, but so far i got none.
                                          I'm running Vista Ultimate, i didn't have to format the hard drive, i uninstalled ppro 2 and sony vegas 6 to take all the codecs and other files so this way there wouldn't be any incompatabilities with ppro cs3.
                                          • 18. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                                            I just downloaded Production Premiere CS3 and loaded most of the the suite. I did not do anything except remove the public betas. It loaded like a charm and CS3 is editing fine.

Since the download for this is 16 GB it is only practical if you have access to a super high speed ISP. My own service is 768 kbits/sec and with that service I would estimate it would have taken 50+ hours. Fortunately I have a good friend that has FIOS with 600+ kBytes/second.

Now to work on my weekly video and then on to developing a new PPBM 3 since the current one does not work on CS3 (they removed a few obscure effects that are in the current PPBM benchmark).
                                            PPBM+ Premiere Pro
                                            DV & HDV Benchmarks
                                            • 19. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                                              pmasters8941 Level 1
                                              B&H are definitely top notch. Majorily recommended.
                                              • 20. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                                                pmasters8941 Level 1
                                                does the download break it into separate dvds so that you can make backups in case of a system crash? How dvds or separate downloads are there?
                                                • 22. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                                                  Unfortunately, there is one file that is 5 GB (dual layer???). Then there are 3 each 3 GB files, a 1 GB file and about 6 or 7 files much smaller than the 1GB.

You have to have Java installed and if you are using Firefox there is no intelligent error message if it is missing.

I third the motion that B&H is a great supplier.
                                                  PPBM+ Premiere Pro
                                                  DV & HDV Benchmarks
                                                  • 24. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                                                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                                    Just walk into that store and soak it all in. A pilgrimage to NYC to see a store where all of the best stuff is in one place is very cool.

In lieu of that, just order from them. I get all of my stuff that way.
                                                    • 25. Re: Need help...Upgrading PP2 to CS3
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                      B&H is my candy store. I'm lucky enough to live within driving distance.