24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2007 5:23 PM by shooternz

New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue

shooternz Level 6
      Has anyone managed to install the NEW Magic Bullet Looks for either PC or Mac

(especially Mac)

I am having install problems and getting errors and Red Giant are not responding to me (yet).
        • 1. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
          Yeah, Red Giant has fallen asleep. "LOOKs" has not been able to load into CS3. RG Website "implies" that it will not load into CS3, however, Movie Editors 2.0 is also not supposed to load, but it works fine in CS3.

P
          • 2. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
            shooternz Level 6
            I was informed (before I purchased) by Red Giant that the new Looks will work on Mac and CS3 with the Host applications I have. I have CS3 Suite incl AEFX as well as FCP STudio2. - all apps are supposedly able to host the plug in. I have tried using the others as Host when requested during the install process.

RG Quote:
            "The current version of Magic Bullet Editors (2.1) is not compatible with either Final Cut Studio or Adobe CS3 at this time. We are shipping Magic Bullet Looks 3.0 next week. It is a brand new product that draws on the capabilities of Magic Bullet Editors, and previous versions of Magic Bullet Suite. We will offer a crossgrade for all Magic Bullet Editors customers. The crossgrade will be $99.00 USD and will not be limited to one host application or operating system. You will be able to install in Win and Mac and all supported host applications.

Click here for more information:
            http://redgiantsoftware.stores.yahoo.net/magicbulletlooks.html"

End QUote
            • 3. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
              Level 1
              Does that mean if I need to work with Magic Bullet, I have to stay with Premiere 1.5?

We were going to upgrade to Vista. Will Premiere 1.5 work with Vista?
              • 4. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                No and no. Magic Bullet Editor works with PP 2.0, not with CS3 as was indicated in the previous post. Vista only works with CS3, but why downgrade from XP to Vista? I know Micros**t calls it an upgrade, but that is not true.
                • 5. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                  RDA972 Level 3
                  "Has anyone managed to install the NEW Magic Bullet Looks for either PC or Mac"
                  The answer is a resounding yes. Magic Bullet Looks installed without a hitch on my machine running PPro CS3 and Vista.
                  By the way, the new interface is a pleasure to work with.
                  • 6. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                    Level 1
                    Who is right? Craig or Robert? Does the new Magic Bullet work or not? Finally, does anybody here know if Sapphire works with CS3 and Vista?
                    • 7. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                      shooternz Level 6
                      Not a right or wrong issue or whether it works or not..

I am pleased to hear that Robert has managed to install the New MB Looks.n That gives me confidence.

The situation remains that I can not install it on my Mac but I have managed to install on my Windows PPRO2 system. Only glitch - the serial number does not work.

I also can confirm that it works (in trial mode) and the new interface is very cool.

? @ Robert - does your Program monitor reflect the "fx looks" you apply in the Looks interface? Did not seem to on mine. The Looks monitor window seemed to be the place to preview the fx.
                      • 8. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                        RDA972 Level 3
                        Hi Craig
                        Sorry for this somewhat belated answer. The fact is, I have been away from my machine all day.
                        You have it right : "the Looks monitor window is indeed the place to preview the fx". That doesn't bother me I must say.
                        • 9. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                          shooternz Level 6
                          Only thing about that is it does not "go out" to the external monitor for more critical analysis and judgement.
                          • 10. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                            Dag Norum Level 2
                            >I also can confirm that it works (in trial mode) and the new interface is very cool.

Apply looks and then press the "options" button in the effects control window. Now, try to insert the serial number.

(Got the above from Toolfarm Expert Forums, seems to be going on some "funny" things with the Looks)

Dag
                            • 11. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                              RDA972 Level 3
                              "Only thing about that is it does not "go out" to the external monitor for more critical analysis and judgement."
                              You have to apply the effect and close the MBL window to view the result on an external monitor.
                              • 12. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                shooternz Level 6
                                @ Dag I had tried your suggestion before and had no luck. I am awaree there is a serial number issue that they are addressing.

@ Robert - not the greatest or most efficient way to critically analyse the result but I guess its do-able at least.
                                • 13. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                  Dag Norum Level 2
                                  Craig,

Lucky you who at least got it working in demo mode :)

I installed it in After Effects 6.5, and when I try to apply the Looks (even in demo mode), I just get an error message saying "MB Looks is unauthorized, please register or reinstall".

Anyway, I have a question for you:
                                  I saw in the Toolfarm forums that somebody said something about the "standalone Looks builder" that works, did you get that one and if so , does it work for you?
                                  (I did not (didn't show up anywhere), and I know it's supposed to be there)

Dag
                                  • 14. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                    shooternz Level 6
                                    I also was confused by that and not sure what was meant. I thought that there maybe was an option to open the app standalone without opening Premiere or a Host. This does not seem to be the case in the package I have (half) installed. - serial number issue!. It maybe that in has an exe file that will launch it so I will take a look for it.

I would say that the app when opened in Premiere is kind of standalone and as Robert says - the app has to close for the effect to show in Premiere Program Monitor.

RG are quite confusing in all info for their MB software releases. I never know if I have Looks, Editors, Looks Suite etc...and version numbers confuse me also.

!!!! I have still had no contact from RG regarding both my install issues and they have not automatically sent me a new Serial number as mentioned on Tool FArm site!!!!
                                    • 15. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                      Dag Norum Level 2
                                      Craig,

>I will take a look for it

Program Files/LooksBuilder/LooksBuilder.exe
                                      (If I try to double click that one I get a Windows error message)

>version numbers confuse me

MB Editors came basically in v1 and v2, MB Looks Suite also in v1 and v2 but only for After Effects (and maybe something else, but NOT for Premiere). MB Looks should now be v1 (even though some have called it v3), and is supposed to replace both the Editors and the Suite because it comes with installers for both PPro and AE (Avid also by the way).

Movie Looks, that was the one that came with PPro v1 first, and had nothing but presets, Latest version 1.1.3

The MB software from RG used to be rock solid for me. My guess now is that RG has done a bit too quick release and they are working night and day to fix the issues, at least I hope so.

Red Giant seems to be a sort of representative company for a lot of very good video software (also Trapcode now), and I don't think they want to screw up their reputation.

Dag
                                      • 16. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                        RDA972 Level 3
                                        Hi Craig
                                        "I thought that there maybe was an option to open the app standalone without opening Premiere or a Host. This does not seem to be the case in the package I have (half) installed. - serial number issue!. It maybe that in has an exe file that will launch it so I will take a look for it."
                                        There is indeed a standalone application to be found in the Looksbuilder folder in the program files folder. It works as advertised if you ask me.
                                        • 17. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                          shooternz Level 6
                                          Thanx Dag - I am still confused but no matter...thats normal for me. I have been into MB's since the start and they worked perfectly also.

Hope you get the new one working because I am sure you will enjoy the power of the new interface. It got a "Pro" feel and look to it.

Red Giant are now helping me through Tool Farm Forum. They admitted they were a bit inundated on the release of the new vers. I am sure I will get it sorted. BTW (my username on Tool Farm is Shooter)
                                          • 18. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                            I have also a problem with both premiere CS3 and After Effects CS3. I can install the Looks software, and I can drag and drop it to footage, and when I edit it I can preview it in the Looks builder, but when I get back to premiere or AE, the effect is only outputted as a white screen (or sometimes red).
                                            When I disable the effect, I get a normal output. Interestingly, I noticed that the level of whit in the effect output is comparable to the opacity level, so 50% opacity gives a gray output.
                                            I've tried the looks on two different computers, running Vista and XP, both have the same problem...
                                            Anybody had the same problem?
                                            • 19. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                              Level 1
                                              MB Looks installed correctly and works fine for me in CS3. I wish I could tell you all I did something magical but I didn't.

And I didn't know there was a standalone editor. I ran LooksBuilder.exe but it only lets me open image files... not video?
                                              • 20. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                                Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                                I think the Looks Builder only allows video if you have purchased and registered the software.
                                                • 21. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                                  shooternz Level 6
                                                  I didnt think so. I think it only ever works with a still image and is basically a Looks "designer"
                                                  • 22. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Check out this page on Red Giant's web site for CS3 compatibility and updates...

http://redgiantsoftware.com/cs3fcp2macintel.html
                                                    • 23. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                      No problems with installation on PC and it seems to work as supposed. Just installed it a couple hours ago, but will try it out in the next couple of days. Initial reaction is that it does what it is supposed to do.
                                                      • 24. Re: New Magic Bullet Looks ... question/issue
                                                        shooternz Level 6
                                                        I got it to successfully install on my Mac eventually. I installed it with the Mac in "safe mode". Here seemed to be a conflict with the Graphics card drivers any other way.

THe PC was a straightforward install.