3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2007 10:11 AM by sminnis

distortion in audio when exporting HDV to tape

sminnis
      I'm having trouble sending a native HDV project back to tape. The picture looks fine on the export, but the audio is severely distorted. It's not overmodulation. I have a -10 limiter on the audio master track, and the VUs on my deck don't show anything like any clipping. But the sound it's making is similar to clipping. Any ideas? Thanks,

Stu

system specs:

Dell Precision PWS390
      Intel Core2 6400
      2.13GHz, 2GB RAM
      NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000
      Sony HV-U15 deck
        • 1. Re: distortion in audio when exporting HDV to tape
          sminnis Level 1
          Nobody? Really? Pretty Please?

(bump)
          • 2. Re: distortion in audio when exporting HDV to tape
            Level 1
            Patience...

Not everybody is online all the time.

If it is not clipping (as you say) what does it sound like, and is it constant?
            • 3. Re: distortion in audio when exporting HDV to tape
              sminnis Level 1
              Howard,

Thanks for the reply. It's hard to describe the sound...it actually reminds me of the sound a 16mm projector makes when it loses its loop, sort of a strobing distortion. As for constancy, no it's definitely not constant in the sense that, say, ground loop hum is constant. It's "attached" to the sounds as the play back, so that when the timeline is very quiet it's hardly audible, but when you get any sound at all, it comes up. I know that might sound like clipping, but I don't see how it could possibly be for a few reasons:

1. There's a -9 limiter on the audio master track.
              2. It sounds perfectly fine both in timeline playback and when exported to Encore.
              3. The VUs in the original source clips, the timeline, and the deck on output all show clean levels with no clipping.

I'm wondering if it's related to my deck, but I haven't had a chance to check that yet. I'll try outputting to the camera when I get back in to work on Monday, but if you have any other ideas as to what the cause might be, I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks.

Stu