25 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2007 7:25 PM by (C._David_Young)

Premiere Pro 3.1.0

Steven L. Gotz Level 5
      So, how many of you have tried downloading the update for 3.1.0 found by using the Update function within Premiere Pro CS3?

MXF is finally here. Anyone spot anything else new? I wish Adobe would put it on the web site already so we could read about it.
        • 1. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
          Level 1
          Do you expect more then this?

http://www.adobe.com/go/pr_readme_de
          • 2. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
            shooternz Level 6
            The update function worked fine for me on CS3 Mac.

I did not spot anything else... but wasnt expecting to.

P2 / MXF support was all I had my heart set on.
            • 3. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
              Pierre,

Thanks for the link, I could not find it on my own for some reason.

Actually, the fixes were more than I expected. Nice that they fixed the "too many fonts" problem and the trimming of the WAV files.

This ought to quiet down some of the people who have been complaining about updates. It looks like Adobe is getting some advantages out of having the people on board from aquired companies.
              • 4. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                Level 1
                Steven, what do you mean by "Adobe is getting some advantages out of having the people on board from aquired companies." How does that mesh with CS3 and P2 support? As for acquired companies, I know Adobe does this all the time. Afterall, it was Cosa AfterEffects before it became Adobe AfterEffects.
                • 5. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                  I meant that the companies they have acquired lately have brought in fresh blood. The new people seems to have been able to encourage the use of the updater for Premiere Pro, something unusual for Adobe.

We have seen two updates to Premiere Pro CS3 already. More than I had come to expect.
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    And twice what all earlier version combined received.
                    • 7. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                      x34 Level 1
                      I for one have attempted to update to 3.1.0 but the update fails. I am still at 3.0. I must say that Adobe certainly hid the release note. Why was it not part of the Windows update? There is no mention of it on the site anywhere that I could find.

I did notice that even though an Encore was also included in the list of updates found when the update notice appeared, it loaded fine but may have caused some existing file recognition issues. One project that I re-opened after the update to Encore had to be completely re donee from scratch as only the thumbnails of the assets were being displayed but the files were no longer being recognized. I think this was due to the update patch.

At any rate, I am unable to update PPro CS3 to 3.1.0 in the Windows environment and so far have not been provided any assistance with this issue. Maybe someone out there has a suggestion a location for additional reading on this issue.

Thanks!
                      • 8. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                        Level 1
                        Worked for me first time.

Steve someone has posted a link, I'm not sure where but it's there outlining what the fixes are.
                        • 9. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                          Level 1
                          I am having the same problem updating to 3.1.0. The Adobe Updater downloads the patch but does not install it. I tried to manually install it to no avail. I am also working with Windows XP.

Does anyone have any advice?
                          • 10. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                            Phil Griffith Level 2
                            I had trble at first, make sure that you close all adobe programs before you start to install the update.
                            • 11. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                              x34 Level 1
                              Gus,

There are lots of folks having all sorts of problems from all or some of the programs in the production suite (PPro, AE, Photoshop, Encore, ETC.) crashing after applying the patch to some who report less harmful results such as the patch not completing.

The only patch for PPro that I can find posted on the Adobe site is 3.0.1 NOT 3.1. More confusing is the reference to the version the patch is to be applied. If you search the updates in Adobe for PPro CS3, you will find a patch for 3.0.1 not 3.0, the version that was first released and the one that everyone is patching. Adobe should have listed version 3.0 in the patch info NOT 3.0.1 since that version does not exist until you patch 3.0, (APPARENTLY FOR SOME OF US)if you are one of the lucky ones who actually get the patch to work. Then there is the MAC version. Maybe it gets patch to version 3.1, but not the windows version.

Still more confusing is the update tool inside of PPro which can be selected to "fetch" the updates while PPR is still running! Adobe clearly states to close all programs meaning PPRo as well, but I do not believe PPro will close on it's own in this process. That's another detail they left out.

Finally, Adobe has absolutely no information posted on their site (as far as I could find) even ACKNOWLEDGING the problems with the Windows patch or a few helpful suggestions.

There are some very bright folks in this forum who may discover the solution (my bet is on one of them, NOT ADOBE) but I can't help but wonder why Adobe won't take some level of responsibility of the issue.

Oddly, some have reported they have had no difficulty in patching the PPro, I assume they are referring to the Windows version not the MAC version. However, with the number of issues with the Windows version, there is more here than a few isolated occurrences that demand a solution.

Wish I could offer something in terms of a solution I could pass along since Adobe hasn't. I can tell you that completely removing PPRo, rebooting, then reinstalling, will NOT fix the issue, nor will simply reinstalling it over the existing installation, at least neither worked for me. Come on Adobe, step up to the plate, take a swing at it!
                              • 12. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                Level 1
                                I had no problem installing it on both my XP system and my Vista laptop, and everything is working just as it should. It can be done. Sorry to hear everyone's having problems...
                                • 13. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                  Installed fine for me too. A dialog box told me it was available and asked if i wanted to install. Said yes and its installed.

Curt
                                  • 14. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                    RDA972 Level 3
                                    Ditto here. It installed smoothly on both my Vista machines (laptop and desktop).
                                    • 15. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                      I had to go look for it using the Updates menu item, but it worked. The link to the description is in Reply #1.
                                      • 16. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                        Level 1
                                        I think you're describing a bug in the Adobe updater engine. I've found that if you don't install all the available updates you currently have downloaded, the 3.1.0 updater won't show up. (Alternatively, by choosing 'delete all' in the dialog that shows the list of available updates, the list then refreshed correctly & showed the 3.1.0 update as expected.)

We're actively bugging the updater team to get this fixed.
                                        • 17. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                          (C._David_Young) Level 1
                                          I had the same problem with the update. I then downloaded the 3.0.1 update and it would also not install. However, after restarting my computer 3.0.1 did install. Then 3.1.0 installed without a problem.
                                          • 18. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                            Level 1
                                            The PPRO CS3 3.1.0 update is now available on the PPRO CS3 download page.
                                            • 19. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                              Level 1
                                              Is it necessary to install both updates, i.e., 3.0.1 then 3.1.0 or does the newest update 3.1.0 encompass the 3.0.1 enhancements/fixes as well?
                                              • 20. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                                Eddie Lotter Level 4

Frequently answered question

Cheers
                                                Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                                Premiere Pro Wiki
                                                - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                                                - Over 100 free tutorials
                                                - Maintained by editors like you
                                                • 21. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                                  (C._David_Young) Level 1
                                                  Based on my experience I am not sure this FAQ is correct. However, looking back at the steps required for me to install 3.1.0 it could be that the restart was the key and not installing 3.0.1. In any case, if you can't get 3.1.0 to install even after restarting your computer then you might install 3.0.1 first. That worked for me.
                                                  • 22. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                                    I am trying to install the 3.1.0 and 3.0.1 patch on a trial version of PPRO CS3. It says that the patch cannot find the program. Is there something I am doing wrong or is it not meant to install on the trial version? I would really like to try out the MXF support before I buy (coming from Avid).
                                                    • 23. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                      Not supported in the trial version.
                                                      • 24. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                                        Level 1
                                                        I have been trying to install this patch for what seems like weeks. I have tried to install through Adobe Updater to no avail. Then, I tried to install through the download on the Adobe site to no avail. Each time that i try, I get either the green bar moving endlessly (over 12 hours last time I tried) saying that the patch is installing when it clearly is not. Other times, I get the "Installation was Unsuccessful". I don't have a P2 need at this time, but I was looking forward to staying current and getting some of the bug fixes.

Does anyone have any advice at all?

Thanks.
                                                        • 25. Re: Premiere Pro 3.1.0
                                                          (C._David_Young) Level 1
                                                          Uninstall CS3, reinstall, followed by 3.0.1 and finally 3.1.0. The FAQ says it is not necessary to install 3.0.1 but it worked for me.