5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2007 9:30 AM by John T Smith

no sound with imported video

Hello,

I am new to Adobe CS3. i'm trying to import raw footage but it imports the video without sound. the footage is a mpeg. Thanks for any help/
        • 1. Re: no sound with imported video
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          MPEG is not suited for editing, only for watching. Better use Elements or another consumer product if you want to edit unsuitable material. Good luck.
          • 2. Re: no sound with imported video
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read

There are other products better suited to your task
            • 3. Re: no sound with imported video
              fburleigh
              Claire, I think you've asked two questions here, and I'll give you my experiences over the past nine months on both questions.

First, I asked a question a lot like this toward the beginning of the year. I believe Harm said about what he's just said, and maybe John as well. Someone else encourages me to go forward. Then I described the kind of video *I* have: talking heads at a lectern in our law school's Moot Court Room.

Harm and John both know more about this than I do, and have more experiences than me. Still, I needed a solution that would let me use the output of digital cameras for Real Media streams and MP3 audio files. Another product had let me down in an "upgrade" and work was backing up. I bought the Production Studio 2.0 product, learned how to import mpeg files and was soon making the kind of product we need to make here. The quality of the video was much better than what we'd made before (probably because the analog component was removed from the workflow).

I also had the "no sound" problem. My analysis is that the camera's Dolby 5.1 sound used a codec not known to my computer. I installed an AC3 codec, and learned that Premier must "conform" the mpeg files when they're imported to a project. See the bottom of the Premier window to see that happen.

Harm and John may be completely correct that Encore or some other product may be more appropriate. I frankly don't even know what Encore is, and would love for them to say more about why Encore's a better match to task. I *can* say that Premier Pro 2 and CS3 are successful at the kind of work I have to do--importing mpeg from digital cameras, trimming and light "redaction," and producing media for streaming that will be seen at maybe 340 x 180 pixels.

YMMV.
              • 4. Re: no sound with imported video
                Level 1
                Thanks for the help frank. i actually found a excellent conversion program at http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter.aspx

i've been using premiere for a year, just upgraded to cs3 and love it for my work too.

thanks again.
                • 5. Re: no sound with imported video
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Premiere is an editor, Encore is a DVD authoring program

Premiere MAY (or may NOT) work with MPEG as input, but it is really not designed to edit that type of file (as discussed at several links on my notes page)

I don't use it, but Premiere Elements is Adobe's program aimed at the "edit MPEG" market... and it also includes parts of Encore, so you may edit and author a DVD using one program