6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2007 5:35 PM by shooternz

Best Way to get widescreen ?

I have regular mini-dv footage shot and i would like to make it into widescreen format in Premiere Pro cs3 how do i do this?
      Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Best Way to get widescreen ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Crop the top and bottom.
          • 2. Re: Best Way to get widescreen ?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            To elaborate on Harm's post, what I do is create a template Title using the widescreen matte. This creates a 2.35:1 look. For an Academy Ratio, I increase the size of the matte to 114%.
            • 3. Re: Best Way to get widescreen ?
              Level 1
              Hi,

I know there is more than one way to do it, but why not just use the crop effect tool by setting the top and bottom parameters to 14.

However, all of these solutions are still 4x3 with the top and bottom of the picture matted out to give you the illusion of a widescreen picture.
              when you play the video on a wide screen tv, it will still have black on the left and right sides of the screen. You will have to ZOOM the picture on your wide screen tv in order for it to fill the wide screen screen.

The other way to get wide screen from a 4x3 video is to import it into a wide screen project then scale the video until the sides of the video fill the width of the program screen. Top and bottom croping will automatically occur. If your creating a dvd, encode the project using a 16x9 wide screen aspect ratio. Then when you view it on a wide screen tv, it will automatically fill the screen.

Keep in mined that either way, the video is being scaled. Either on the tv or in premiere and it will appear a little soft focused on the tv screen.

regards,
              • 4. Re: Best Way to get widescreen ?
                shooternz Level 6
                Take a look at Red Giant Software - 'Instant HD' if your desire is to out put to widescreen TV (16:9)
                • 5. Re: Best Way to get widescreen ?
                  Level 1
                  thanks Craig,

Hey I looked it up myself - what a big boy i am! :)

Craig, i assume you have used this product. If so, have you compared the output of "Instant HD" to the output of the other methods posted above?

Anyway... here's some info from the site:

"Overview

Instant HD up-converts DV video into a variety of HD video formats. You can choose from a list of preset resolutions to make it easy to integrate DV video into your next High Definition production. When scaling from standard definition (SD) to high definition (HD), the missing pixels must be generated in an intelligent way. Instant HD provides a high-quality method for converting SD sources to HD within your favorite video application.

IMPORTANT NOTE The product is specifically designed to work with progressive (non-interlaced) images. That means that if you are starting with interlaced video such as a standard Sony PD150 DVCAM capture, you will need to convert the image to progressive in the host application before applying Instant HD.

If you use a camera that has a progressive mode like the Panasonic DVX100 or the Canon XL2 there is no need to pre-process the material in any way."

regards,
                  • 6. Re: Best Way to get widescreen ?
                    shooternz Level 6
                    None of the methods above output a "true" widescreen. They create a widescreen look more commonly called a letterbox. It is not anamorphic 16:9 which is true widescreen. A wide screen TV knows its this becausze of the PAR it detects.

I was not sure if the OP was wanting a ws look or true ws because he did not say. Instant HD will create a true ws. I use it so I can mix SD media with new WS media. Works fine.