6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2007 11:17 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Ipod used as storage device and CS3

I have a few students who want to use their Ipods to store their projects onto to work on other computers around the school. I know the Ipod works as a sort of external hard drive but will it work with CS3 PP?

Also, I have been trying to explain to a few of my students the concept of saving their work in CS3. Many fall under the impression that "save project" will simply give them the files they need, when instead it's just the shell of their project. Is there a way to actually quickly save ALL of your used files to another location or is a simple case of copy and paste?

I'd like for them to be able to use any external on any computer and not have Adobe missing files they have to relocate each time they connect the external drive.

Thanks a lot!
        • 1. Re: Ipod used as storage device and CS3
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          The Project Manager offers an option to copy all used files to a new location, but an iPod may not be the best place to copy them to.
          • 2. Re: Ipod used as storage device and CS3
            Level 1
            I am unfamiliar with the Project Manager as I just installed CS3 but I will take a look tomorrow.
            • 3. Re: Ipod used as storage device and CS3
              Maybe I misunderstood your question, but if you are looking to save or transfer a project in CS3 to another computer you want to consider two things: File management, and Platform. For file management, instruct your students to reset the scratch disks to a project folder that contains all of their project files each time they start a new project. This way all the files that they use in their projects and want to transfer to another system are in one folder. From there it is a simple matter of cutting and pasting the project folder to where ever they like.

Depending on the size of the iPod, they can use it as a storage device, they just need to think about the Platforms (Mac, PC, Linux) they are using. You cannot interchange CS3 project files from a Mac onto a PC. The same might be for the iPod. If it is formatted for a PC and their project is on a Mac (or vise versa) the iPod might not let you transfer the files. Or they may transfer, but will not be usable on their final editing system (platform). I have not tested that so I might not have it right there. But in theory...

Hope that helps.
              • 4. Re: Ipod used as storage device and CS3
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >instruct your students to reset the scratch disks to a project folder that contains all of their project files each time they start a new project.

That could cause performance issues. Using Project Manager for the occasional transfer might be the better option.
                • 5. Re: Ipod used as storage device and CS3
                  Level 1
                  Thanks guys. I am not familiar with the scratch disc feature. What is it? I will try and check during work today.

I had a student use the Project Manager yesterday and it worked great. I am a little concerned about the mentioning of it possibly creating problems once additional projects are added.
                  • 6. Re: Ipod used as storage device and CS3
                    Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
                    >You cannot interchange CS3 project files from a Mac onto a PC.

Yes, you can. Premiere Pro CS3 projects are cross-platform. What you can't do is open a pre-CS3 PPro project on Mac.

The problem with iPods is that they are rather slow for video projects. But I have done it, and it works on both platforms.

Mac formatted iPods can be read on PC by using MacDrive. PC formatted iPods should work on Mac directly. Just be careful not to have iTunes reformat the iPod for the other platform!