24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2007 1:07 PM by Mortimer IOU

Quad Processors

Level 1
      Does anyone know if CS3 will make full use of the new Intel Quad processors, such as the Intel® Core2 Quad processor?

James
        • 1. Re: Quad Processors
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

The manual.

Cheers
          Eddie

Forum FAQ
          Premiere Pro Wiki
          - Over 250 frequently answered questions
          - Over 100 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          • 2. Re: Quad Processors
            Level 1
            So does this answer my question?

James
            • 3. Re: Quad Processors
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Yes, if you are capable of reading the first sentence.
              • 4. Re: Quad Processors
                Level 1
                Thanks. I was just looking for a one-word answer in the first place (unless, of course, you were unsure of the answer yourself).

I guess I actually WASN'T able to understand the first sentence in the ADOBE page, which stated:

"By default, Adobe Premiere Pro renders video using the maximum number of available processors, up to 16."

The way I would have written this sentence would have been as follows:

"Adobe CS3, unlike Premiere Pro 2.0, now takes full use of Quad Processors. Further, Adobe Premiere Pro renders video using the maximum number of available processors, up to 16."

Nevertheless, the unclarity still remains because the above sentence written by Adobe still does NOT answer my question: 'Does CS3 make full use of the new Intel Quad processors?' Adobe's sentence implies that "ADOBE PREMIERE PRO" makes use of multiple processors but it makes no mention of whether CS3 does, unless they are trying to say CS3 = Premiere Pro. If CS3 = Premiere Pro, does this mean it = Pro 3.0 or just Pro 2.0 or both? If CS3 = Pro 3.0, why didn't the bozos just name it Premiere Pro 3.0?! What manner of "corporate-think" is going on here? Combine this corporate nomenclature insanity with the idiots and morons that write these technical brochures and you have what we have. All these people need to go back to school and learn how to think and write. But then, that would do no good because the government-sponsored public school system would just ruin them even more.

James Jaeger
                • 5. Re: Quad Processors
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

There is no such thing as CS3. You're posting in the Premiere Pro CS3 forum, so contextually answers are about Premiere Pro CS3.

You are being deliberately argumentative. Are you trying to see how long it will take the moderators to give you a warning?

Cheers
                  Eddie

Forum FAQ
                  Premiere Pro Wiki
                  - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                  - Over 100 free tutorials
                  - Maintained by editors like you
                  • 6. Re: Quad Processors
                    Jeron Coolman Level 1
                    What is "Adobe CS3"?

FWIW From the CS3 Beta Forums.
                    • 7. Re: Quad Processors
                      Level 1
                      James...

The answer is your original question is yes....I spoke to someone from Adobe at NAB and asked them about Quad Core processors and PPro CS3 because I was just about to buy a new computer with dual Quads...as for your "CS3=PPro" rant, I've got nothing for you - sounds like you're just trying cause a stir....
                      • 8. Re: Quad Processors
                        Level 1
                        >The answer is your original question is yes....I spoke to someone from Adobe at NAB and asked them about Quad Core processors and PPro CS3 because I was just about to buy a new computer with dual Quads...

Okay, thanks I appreciate the answer ... but in the future don't be a politician.

>as for your "CS3=PPro" rant, I've got nothing for you

Okay, so you too are confused.

> - sounds like you're just trying cause a stir....

Well if you are also confused, might I not also have a valid point? :)

James
                        • 9. Re: Quad Processors
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                          The manual is for Premiere Pro CS3, so all statements in it refer to that particular version.

If other applications in any of the various CS3 packages support multiple processors, it is up to their help files and manuals to point that out.
                          • 10. Re: Quad Processors
                            Level 1
                            >There is no such thing as CS3. You're posting in the Premiere Pro CS3 forum, so contextually answers are about Premiere Pro CS3.

Yes I realize that.

>You are being deliberately argumentative.

No, have you actually carefully read what I posted? If you have I don't think you are getting what I'm saying. Perhaps I was not clear. The issue I am trying to resolve is that when Adobe refers to Premiere Pro are they talking specifically about Premier Pro CS3 or are they referring to Premier Pro 2.0 or both. I am also raising the question as to why they changed the nomenclature from Premiere Pro ... Premier Pro 1.0 ... Premiere Pro 1.5 Premiere Pro 2.0 and then, all of a sudden to Premiere Pro CS3. [This is as confusing as how INTEL names their processors (Core 2 Duo, Dual Core, etc). I think INTEL and ADOBE must have hired the same bozo to name their products.]

When I spoke to a very knowledgeable person at ADOBE customer service the other day, he told me that originally ADOBE was calling Premier Pro, Premiere 7. Then they renamed it Premiere Pro. They re-named it because they built the product from the ground up, so technically we are dealing with a version 1. To obfuscate this fact they tacked the description Pro onto the product. For its version, Premiere 6.5 is much a much more advanced, and bug-free product than Premier Pro and even Premiere Pro 2.0. That said, I'm sure when Premiere Pro 3 (or Premiere Pro CS3, if you prefer) reaches the 6.5 state it will be quite superior to Premiere 6.5. But what is ADOBE going to call it and the subsequent versions of Premiere Pro CS3? Who knows?

The entire point to my post here is that the naming convention ADOBE has been using is confusing because it has not been as consistent as it could have been. The person I spoke to at customer service also told me that one of the reasons the decision to rename Premiere 6.5, Premiere Pro, was because the MARKETING department felt that having versions so high was a negative. I don't agree. Higher version numbers canote a more mature product, a product that has gone through many builds and de-bugs. Here again we have a perfect example where the marketing/money guys are in there twisting the knobs with their money-grubbing insanity. All corporate-think as I mentioned earlier. Techies of the world should unite! Don't let marketing and money grubbers tell you what to do ... they would not even HAVE their jobs were it not for you.

You can label this a "rant" but it just demonstrates your lack of concern and/or awareness of these issues and the marketing politics.

>Are you trying to see how long it will take the moderators to give you a warning?

That is an unnecessary comment, but I will just take it as a joke. :) Again, thanks for your answer.

James Jaeger

>Cheers Eddie
                            • 11. Re: Quad Processors
                              Level 1
                              >The manual is for Premiere Pro CS3, so all statements in it refer to that particular version. If other applications in any of the various CS3 packages support multiple processors, it is up to their help files and manuals to point that out.

Yes.
                              • 12. Re: Quad Processors
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                James, the answer to your question is in post #9.

The manual for Premiere Pro CS3 only refers to Premiere Pro CS3.

As for me, I believe that trying to release Premiere Pro without a number was a huge mistake, but now we have version numbers.

Premiere 6.5 was Premiere, not Premiere Pro. They should not have allowed upgrades from Premiere to Premiere Pro. Merely huge rebates to owners of the old product. That might have helped people understand that it was a new product. If Premiere Pro gets to CS6, or whatever the name might be by then, it is still Premiere Pro and not Premiere.
                                • 13. Re: Quad Processors
                                  Level 1
                                  >James, the answer to your question is in post #9.

Thanks.

>The manual for Premiere Pro CS3 only refers to Premiere Pro CS3.

Yes.

>As for me, I believe that trying to release Premiere Pro without a number was a huge mistake, but now we have version numbers.

Okay.

>Premiere 6.5 was Premiere, not Premiere Pro.

Yes, in essence, the "Pro" replaced the version number "1.0." Confusing, but I do see ADOBE's justification for it as Pro was not only a new, ground-up build but built for a new hardware-set, the PCI-Express line.

>They should not have allowed upgrades from Premiere to Premiere Pro. Merely huge rebates to owners of the old product. That might have helped people understand that it was a new product.

The way I came to "understand" it quite firmly was when I had to go and shell out about $3,500 to build a new PCI-Express PC. At the time I purchased an up "upgrade" from Premiere 6.5 to Premiere Pro 1.5, some $200, I didn't realize that Premiere Pro 1.5 required a PCI-Express system to run on. By the time I got a PCI-Express system built, ADOBE had announced Premiere Pro 2.0. I never even INSTALLED Premiere Pro 1.5. I asked ADOBE for a free upgrade, since I had not even broken the seal on the box, but they declined. So I purchased Pro 2.0.

>If Premiere Pro gets to CS6, or whatever the name might be by then, it is still Premiere Pro and not Premiere.

Yes, exactly.

James Jaeger
                                  • 14. Re: Quad Processors
                                    Level 1
                                    What? No version of PPro has ever required a PCI-Express video card...
                                    • 15. Re: Quad Processors
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                      The system I used 1.5 on had an AGP card. And I ran 2.0 on that system for quite a while as well.
                                      • 16. Re: Quad Processors
                                        Level 1
                                        Yep. CS3 is no different. My guess would be at the time he upgraded to PPro1.0 he had to upgrade his system for other reasons (maybe SSE support?), and a new system was probably likely to have a PCI-e slot on the mobo, although it certainly was never required.
                                        • 17. Re: Quad Processors
                                          pmasters8941 Level 1
                                          "I didn't realize that Premiere Pro 1.5 required a PCI-Express system to run on. By the time I got a PCI-Express system built, ADOBE had announced Premiere Pro 2.0. I never even INSTALLED Premiere Pro 1.5. I asked ADOBE for a free upgrade, since I had not even broken the seal on the box, but they declined. So I purchased Pro 2.0. "

Untrue. Premiere Pro has always run on an AGP system especially since PCIXpress wasnt widely used three years ago. PCI-e has really come on now with 64bit systems and three years ago there just werent that many of them.
                                          • 18. Re: Quad Processors
                                            Level 1
                                            You know, come to think of it you are probably correct. The reason I was forced to go to a PCI-express sys was because my capture card required it. The card was, of course, the Matrox RTx10. Pinnacle suddenly stopped writing drivers for Premiere after the DV-500.

James
                                            • 19. Re: Quad Processors
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                                              The RT-X10, as its successor the RT-X100 were both PCI cards. Not PCI-e.
                                              • 20. Re: Quad Processors
                                                Level 1
                                                Still making personal attacks. What a slug!
                                                • 21. Re: Quad Processors
                                                  Phil Griffith Level 2
                                                  you ought to get a life!
                                                  • 22. Re: Quad Processors
                                                    pmasters8941 Level 1
                                                    Banders you are still discussing warez and cracks. What a slug.
                                                    • 23. Re: Quad Processors
                                                      Jay Zacharias Level 1
                                                      YOU SAID:
                                                      "They should not have allowed upgrades from Premiere to Premiere Pro. Merely huge rebates to owners of the old product. That might have helped people understand that it was a new product. "

I have to disagree with this...I came up through the upgrade route, and would not have been able to stay with Adobe as long as I have were it otherwise...

Two things DID hapen though, going from Premiere 6.5 to Premiere Pro required me to go to Windows XP...Previously, I had run on Win 2K Pro, and hated to change the OS...THEN, right after I bought Premiere Pro, they upgraded to Premiere Pro 1.5...I hadn't even had Premiere Pro for a month when it was announced...

Fortunately, NAB was just around the corner, and I was able to pidgeon-hole the product manager and explained my dilema...He agreed that I should have to pay for the upgrade, and made arrangements for me to get it at no charge, once it was released.

Needless to say, I was a happy camper...Now, I'm dragging my feet on Premiere Pro CS3...Waiting to see how well it works for everybody else before I jump in...

Cheers!
                                                      • 24. Re: Quad Processors
                                                        Mortimer IOU Level 2
                                                        I guess the original question was answered?

So that should be enough for this thread.

The non-technical off-topic posts can be continued in the Lounge if absolutely necessary.