14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2007 1:09 PM by (Dark_Ownage)

Help Where to start?

Hello I am new to the whole video editing world! I am going to be making a movie, and thought Adobe Premiere Pro(Beta) would be the best thing to try to test out and use for my movie, I was wondering if there were any good complete beginner tutorials that basicly explain the basics of everything I need to know, I seem to only be able to find specific tutorials for specific things and I do not even know what there talking about because I don't even know the basics. Thank's for your help!
      Also I was wondering if anyone could give some tutorials or effects that you think I should use for my little horror/action movie, I assume I'll need muzzle flashes and know how to add in sounds properly, Ounce again thnk you for the help!
        • 1. Re: Help Where to start?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          >Premiere Pro(Beta)

How do you have the BETA version when that program is closed and the real product has been issued?

Dvd Authoring Info and Tutorials

Wikipedia and VideoGuys and VideoHelp and at Encore and Doog

All Free and All Great !!! Wrigley Video Tutorials

Some other places to read
          http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/3.0/index.html
          http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/EncoreDVD/3.0/index.html
          http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
          http://www.stevengotz.com/
          • 2. Re: Help Where to start?
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
            I highly suggest that you start with the Lynda.com tutorials that were just released. You can take them online for free for 30 days if you choose that option when you register your copy of the Adobe CS3 Production Premium. Otherwise, it is only $25 for a month of tutorials on many varied subjects.
            • 3. Re: Help Where to start?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >I was wondering if there were any good complete beginner tutorials that basicly explain the basics of everything I need to know

Yes. It's called "school". Great place to learn things. Any other suggestions offered should only be considered after this one.
              • 4. Re: Help Where to start?
                Level 1
                What is your problem Jim? You don't need school to learn Premiere for god sakes. Give people a break. A couple good tutorials and he would be good to go. Oh, I forgot. You want everybody to spend a fortune on school before they can start having fun editing.
                • 5. Re: Help Where to start?
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will find links to many free tutorials in the Premiere Pro Wiki that will quickly show you how things are done in PPro.

Cheers
                  Eddie

Forum FAQ
                  Premiere Pro Wiki
                  - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                  - Over 100 free tutorials
                  - Maintained by editors like you
                  • 6. Re: Help Where to start?
                    pmasters8941 Level 1
                    IMO, film schools are overrated big time. The best way to learn is to play with everything and just start trying things out. Most of the time you will stumble on something cool that you never would have thought of when planning things.
                    • 7. Re: Help Where to start?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      There are three kinds of people:

1. Those who make things happen,
                      2. Those who watch things happen, and
                      3. Those who wonder what happened.

The best category to belong to is the first one, even if it means being an autodidact, which only means you had a fool as a teacher.

As Anna Freud once said,
                      i Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training....

I agree with Patrick on this and Jim, as much as I value formal education, nothing can replace experience. As is often said:

i "Good judgment comes from experience; and experience, well, that comes from bad judgment."

or

i "Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again."
                      • 8. Re: Help Where to start?
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        I'm still now sure how the OP (that is Original Poster, for the OP who is just starting) has a BETA install running now that the real software is shipping (don't Beta installs have ending dates?) but at least there have been enough links entered for a good start

Doing a search at Amazon would be another resource, or a Google for likely terms to help a beginnner

Again to the OP - the people here will help any way they can, but that help is generally devoted to specific answers to specific questions

You really need to be a SELF STARTER now, and do a lot of reading, both online and any books you decide to buy... plus actually use the software... then come back with any specific questions you may have
                        • 9. Re: Help Where to start?
                          pmasters8941 Level 1
                          Wasn't the Preview which I assume the OP is calling a Beta time out in August? Thats the only way I can see it because to be on the beta team, one would expect you would already know where to start.
                          • 10. Re: Help Where to start?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >You don't need school to learn Premiere for god sakes.

True, but that's not what I was suggesting. The OP was looking for "any good complete beginner tutorials that basicly explain the basics of everything I need to know".

I took this to mean he has no idea how to edit, not just how to use Premiere. The dude wants to make a movie, he should learn how first. Then get trained in specific software.
                            • 11. Re: Help Where to start?
                              Level 1
                              Check out the MINI MOGUL MANUAL at http://www.moviepubs.net/bk0003.htm

James
                              • 12. Re: Help Where to start?
                                Level 1
                                What about the Classroom in a Book for Premiere Pro? Although there isn't explicitly a CS3 CiB yet though.

http://www.adobepress.com
                                • 13. Re: Help Where to start?
                                  JoeBulleit Level 1
                                  My first book on Premiere (6.0 I believe) was "Teach Yourself Premiere in 24 Hours" by SAMS Publishing. I later had the Adobe CIB and found the SAMS book to be much better, especially for a beginner.

Good Luck & Have Fun!

jb
                                  • 14. Re: Help Where to start?
                                    Level 1
                                    Oky Doky Thanks for the links guys!