17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2007 2:45 PM by (Klaus_Fokken)

Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe

Level 1
      I am having a struggle trying to get a native HDV project to play out to an HD monitor. I'm using the Matrox Parhelia APVe graphics card set up for two independent displays and an HDTV feature display with the RCA component out of the APVe feeding a 24" LG L245WP HD monitor. I find that this works fine with a standard DV project but cannot get anything to it from an HVD project. Is is necessary to purchase Aspect HD in order to do this or is there a way to display native HDV? Any suggestions would be appreciated. using an Asus P5K mb, Q6600 processor, XP Pro SP2.
        • 1. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          Mine works with native HDV as well as Cineform. Check your playback settings.
          • 2. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
            Level 1
            Steven, perhaps you might suggest what settings are working for you.

At this time in the Matrox video playback settings I have the "Use Video Overlay" box checked and the "Use PureVideo/DVDMax" box checked and the "Assist video motion compensation" box checked. My PureVideo/DVDMax Settings are as follows: Always scale to full screen selected and preserve source cropping selected. All others are unselected.

In Premiere playback settings are:

External device: None

When I look at the dropdown, one of my desktop monitors shows as a selection and it will work to display playback if selected but the HD monitor is not showing.

Desktop Display Mode: Compatible
            Desktop Audio selected
            External Device: None (with none showing in dropdown)
            Disable video output when Premiere is in the background: selected

I should also mention that M2T files play out to the HD monitor just fine when using Windows Media Player. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
            • 3. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
              I am not set up correctly at this time, but if I recall correctly, I think that HDV would play out to the second monitor and the HD monitor, both, when set up to use the second monitor.
              • 4. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                Level 1
                Well I just tried selecting my second desktop monitor from the external device dropdown in playback settings and it plays full screen on the second desktop monitor but still does not make it to the HD monitor. When playing back in this manner, even if it did go out to the HD monitor, it messes up my desktop as I lose all of the editing windows that are normally docked on the second monitor.

I have tried just about every combination of playback settings that I can think of with no luck thus far. I should mention I am testing with PP2 as I have not installed CS3 on this computer as yet but I assume this feature should work on both platforms.

Thoughts?
                • 5. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                  Level 1
                  Since no one seemed to have the solution to this problem, I kept pounding away at it until I hit upon the fix. The Matrox APVe WYSIWYG plug-in for Premiere cannot handle component output to an HD monitor where its screen resolution is setup for greater than 1920 x 1080 dpi. This makes sense with the rather limited memory the Parhelia has to work with. My LG L245WP HD monitor has a native resolution of 1920 x 1200. By dropping the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080 I was able to get a preview out of Premiere onto the monitor. Since most HD monitors are generally less than 1920 x 1200 I presume that this problem has not been encountered very frequently.
                  • 6. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                    I certainly would never have attempted anything other than exporting the exact size of the original media. I am glad you found the problem. It would never have ocurred to me.
                    • 7. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I wish these computer monitors would stop coming out with weird resolutions. My 19" is 1280 x 1024. That's a very unusual 1.25 aspect ratio, where it should be 1.33. Makes all my wallpapers look slightly off.

And all widescreen monitors should be 1.76, not that weird 1.58 of 1900 x 1200.

Standards, boys. Use 'em!
                      • 8. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                        I don't see a point to following any artificial standard on a PC monitor. Get the most pixels you can out of the space available. After all, you don't need to watch videos full screen. You can still watch them at the correct ratio. And then you can still have lots of room for editing, icons, word processing, whatever.

As for HDTV screen, you bet. Follow the standards.
                        • 9. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >I don't see a point to following any artificial standard on a PC monitor.

To keep things looking correctly. I've no quarrel with increasing any resolution, just increase the other to match.
                          • 10. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                            Level 1
                            I'm thinking of getting the Parahelia for HD output as well.

I have a couple questions:

Is the monitor output interlaced, and can be viewed properly on an external interlaced monitor?

And, will it output projects that are a full 1920 x 1080i?

Thanks,
                            Robert
                            • 11. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                              Level 1
                              Here are the video output specs on the Parhelia APVe. It pretty well covers the full range and according to the specs you can run component output and S-Video at the same time, although SD displays quite nicely via component on a HD monitor. Haven't tested either SD or HD on the S-video out.

Component, composite and S-video output

YPbPr component output at 1080i/25, 1080i/30, 1080p/24, 1080p/25, 1080p/30, 720p/60, 483p/60, 480p/59.94 and 576p/50

Don't expect smooth display of fast motion at 1920 x 1080i/30. It gets a bit blocky but for the most part the picture is pretty awesome when displayed on a full 1920 x 1200 monitor.
                              • 12. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                >Haven't tested either SD or HD on the S-video out.

Just for clarification, S-Video connections cannot carry an HD signal. Analog HD must be component or VGA connections.
                                • 13. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                                  I´m also having problems trying to get a native HDV project to play out to an HD monitor. I'm using the Matrox Parhelia APVe graphics card set up for two independent displays and an HDTV feature display with the RCA component out of the APVe feeding a 22" LG M228WA monitor.
                                  My monitor displays only SD projects. The max resolution of the LG is only 1680 x 1050. Do you think that this might be the reason?
                                  • 14. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                                    Level 1
                                    Klaus, On my LG monitor, using the menu button at the bottom left of the screen I had to change the ARC (Aspect Ratio Conversion) setting from "Full" to "Original". Not sure if your monitor has the same configuration settings but you should check this out. Also, be sure that there is a component signal being sent to the monitor while you use the menu button, otherwise it will not function.
                                    • 15. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                                      Level 1
                                      I was already planing to send the monitor back, because I thought the problem has to do that my monitor only can provide a 1680 x 1050 resolution. I was already giving up to solve this prob. But that the thing is running on your APVe gives me hope...

I will rent a full resolution HD video monitor just to test it!

What driver version are you using with your Martrox and what version of the WYSIWYG?

Shows the HD-output a slick video, or is it jerking a lot?

...On my matrox I have to choose, if I want to use the TV or the HDTV output in combination with two independent computermonitors (VGA)...
                                      so there is no way to get the video signal on the TV- and the HDTV-screen at the same time (it wouldn´t make sense two, I guess).
                                      • 16. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                                        Level 1
                                        Klaus, my APVe Display driver package is version 1.13.0.158, Graphics BIOS: 3.4-37, Premiere WYSIWYG: version 1.01

The picture that I get on the L245WP is pretty spectacular but the APVe output gets blocky with fast pans and camera shake. Generally, if your HDV video is shot properly, the output to the HD monitor is great. Single frame by frame display will show any artifacts embedded in the video caused by camera movement or fast motion.

As you suggest, if your monitor cannot handle a YPbPr component input at 1080i/25, 1080i/30, 1080p/24, 1080p/25, 1080p/30 or 720p/60, then this may be the reason why you can't get the APVe HD output.

If you select the "Use Video Overlay" option in the Matrox Powerdesk utility, you can display the output from the Windows Media Player onto an external HD monitor. This should work even if the WYSIWYG plugin is not working but you would have to use an HDV m2t file to output an HD signal from WMP.

I haven't tried using both the SD and HD TV simultaneously but from what you say, it sounds like you would need to select either one or the other, however, SD output displays fine on my HD monitor.
                                        • 17. Re: Getting HDV out to an HD Monitor via Matrox Parhelia APVe
                                          Level 1
                                          Thanks Ron, you were a great help!