This content has been marked as final. Show 17 replies
It should work fine. Save a copy of the project from PPro1.0 just for your peace of mind. Then open up the copy of the project in CS3.
Simply installing CS3 certainly isn't going to break PPro1.0 projects.
I thought I had seen that some people have had "issues" with CS3 opening PPro 2.0 projects.
It usually insn't a good idea to upgrade mid-project. I would only do that if I had a compelling reason to; e.g. new features that I HAD to use in the project, or crippling bugs that were fixed.
But if he can make a backup of the project file first... What does he have to lose? I could understand a more complex project maybe having an issue, but the he's describing a very simple, straightforward project.
If he can backup the project file first, the only thing he has to loose is time.
We are talking about the unknown. I'm not worried about the complexity of his project. I'm worried about other things that might mess with the stability of the system.
Worse case scenario, he has to rebuild his machine because installing CS3 along with 1.0 breaks a bunch of things that only a reformat and re-install of the OS and all of the software will fix it.
Sometimes my NLE machines are like "houses of cards", where any change can upset the delicate balance of things. I've had to rebuild an NLE system in the past because I installed or updated a seemingly unrelated mundane piece of software and had the whole system get messed up beyond repair.
>had to rebuild an NLE system in the past because I installed or updated
I use a drive swap setup discussed here and drive image software to make a hard drive image to an external USB drive before I change ANYTHING
I have 3 different boot drives (all identical brand/model 80Gig drives) and "rotate" on/off a storage shelf as needed... to insure that I always have a known good configuration in reserve, and use the image I made just before putting the drive on the shelf (at the back, like a grocer rotates stock) to setup another drive and then install anything new
It's a "bit" of extra time... but works well for me
When I say rebuild, usually it means an image restore :)
>Worse case scenario, he has to rebuild his machine because installing CS3 along with 1.0 breaks a bunch of things
I can't say it's impossible, but I've had 1.5, 2.0 and CS3 beta installed simultaneously without difficulty, as well as several other Adobe apps of differing versions.
It seems like this problem might be rare enough that worrying about it verges on paranoia.
Kind'a half way on/off topic for this...
I bought ProCS3 as an upgrade to Pro2, but then installed ONLY Encore3
When I went back to use Pro2, it had been DEactivated, and wouldn't let me REactivate
I wound up having to call the 866 number on the telephone activation screen and, after trying twice and it wouldn't accept the number, the system passed me along to a real human
Once I explained what had happened, and she looked me up in the registration database, she was able to give me an activation number for Pro2 which, so far after opening/closing the program a half dozen times, seems to be working
Now that everything seems to be working right, I'm going to make an Image as a full drive restore point
Sigh... do one thing, something else goes "flooey" and needs fixing
"It seems like this problem might be rare enough that worrying about it verges on paranoia."
Heh heh, it only takes one time to update your software tools in the middle of a project, mess things up, loose a bunch of time and be late with your project to infuse you with a health dose of of paranoia :)
(Especially if you could have waited to update the software tools until after the project was completed. It is easy to be tempted to install the latest and greatest tools as soon as they come out.)
>Especially if you could have waited to update the software tools until after the project was completed.
Well now that's just good advice all around. But, CS3 is not an "update" to 2.0 in the sense that it overwrites the program, it's a separate program in and of itself. Both can peacefully coexist.
Just don't open the current 1.0 project in CS3 without making a copy first.
"Both can peacefully coexist."
That is good to know :)
I have 1.5.1, 2.0 and CS3 installed on one machine without issue.
I'm sure what JimS and natem say is true for the FULL versions... and it may be there was just "oddity" about what happened to me... but my experience with the UPGRADE version of CS3 is that it DE-activates the Pro2 I was updating
After installing Encore3 my Pro2 came up as DE-activated, and even calling the 866 number on the activation screen and being given a code to enter manually did not get Pro2 to STAY activated
So... I removed Pro2 and installed Pro3 and all is happy in Adobe-land on my computer
Like I said... this could be some "oddity" of my configuration... but it sure looked to me like installing even one part of the CS3 UPGRADE caused the program that was upgraded to DE-activate itself
At least in my case, yes, I'm referring to full versions, not upgrades.
Edit: But I should add that upgrades SHOULD NOT deactivate earlier versions. The "upgrade" is just a pricing thing, the software that is actually installed is identical to a retail version.
You have to watch out for the "trials" though.
I found out that installing the CS3 trial de-activated some things in PP2. I wasn't supposed to be able to work with mpeg in 3 but could no longer work with it in 2. Had to uninstall both and re-install PP2 to work with HDV again.
Now I've got the full upgrade and am running both CS3 and PP2 on the same machine without problems.
>upgrades SHOULD NOT deactivate earlier versions
Oh well... not really a big issue for me (having Encore3 DEactivate PPro3) since it was just a matter of install timing (wanted to jump right in to E3) and the time it takes to install software
I still have Premiere6 on my computer... can't use it, but needs to be there so the Dv500 software will work with SCLive and PPro3 and Encore3 seem to be running OK, so not having PPro2 installed is OK with me