36 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2007 3:12 PM by (Robert_P_Young)

How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?

I was using IMovie and it permitted you to alter the audio volume of a soundtrack by increasing the volume "curve" when you wanted and decreasing it to a whisper when you had dialogue.

There is no such control in Adobe Premiere CS3 or maybe I have not been able to figure out how to lower and raise the volume of the soundtrack according to the timeline.

Where do you give feedback about this? This is very basic and very important and either 1) its not intuitive enough to allow ease of use or 2) its not there.

The interface for Premiere is really cluttered and crowded which is the difference between what is professional and userfriendly vs. something that has been designed by some lazy programmer. The reason why something is user friendly vs. NOT is selectivity and ability to add to the view/perspective and being able to dig deeper into view. Apologies for this harsh message, I just feel someone should do IN DEPTH comparison of features and a survey of what features matter (if the person doing just the indepth comparison doesn't know the importance of a feature to the userbase and the frequency of use they will not be able to make an impact: Amdahl's law).
        • 1. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Sometimes the help file is very useful, look under audio.
          • 2. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
            Level 1
            Welcome to CS3.

Before you post any further questions, please take a look at the video tutorials in Adobe's video workshop. I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to save you from having to ask many basic questions that can be answered by watching the video tutorials.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/

It is a great resource and can get you up and running. Just select Premiere Pro CS3 from the products window, then select the topic "Getting Started" and finally the title. Start by selecting "setting up a project" under the titles window.

Its like having your own in-house instructor.

Good luck.
            • 3. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
              Gary Andrew Level 1
              You obviously are a great candidate for some quality time with the Ppro Manual. Its rather amusing to read you complain about an application that you clearly have almost no understanding of. With more power comes more complexity.

There are at least 3 completely different ways to accomplish the task you desire.

1. Use the effects control window set desired volume level using keyframes in the audio property

2. Click on the Show Keyframe icon on the far left of the audio Timeline that contains your audio clip. Select Show Clip Volume - use the pen tool (CTL-Click) to set keyframes on the yellow volume line - then drag the volume line to desired volume.

3. Use the audio mixer youll need to read up on this as it has many options.
              • 4. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                The reason that there are many different workspaces is that there are many different tasks. Get used to using the right workspace.
                • 5. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                  Level 1
                  Thank you for welcoming me.
                  Thanks Gary for the instructions. Neither workshop, nor manual nor help helped. Using the pen didnt work almost either. One ought to be edit the "volume rubberband" with one tool instead of setting points or keyframes on the yellow volume line. That is what I was trying to state with the previous post.

Also I dont recall the other editors using these extra tools like the in point and out point. Is it possible to have more than one inpoint and out points in the source window?

The help needs to show the things more visually because following Gary's instructions I almost didnt get how to modify the rubberband (from reading the text).
                  • 6. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Mr. Shiraz,

I think you may be over-complicating the Volume adjustment. Click on the Audio Clip, with the Effects Panel forward/active (yellow band around it), and look down a bit. You will see Volume with a little arrow. twirl down and it will open up to give you the controls that you'll need. Set the keyframes there and adjust their levels. Also read up on Bezier Curves in the manual, as they will add a lot to your Audio adjustments.

As Gary Andrew points out, this can be done on a Track basis (rather than a Clip basis), with the Audio Mixer. You can automate the potting of the Track, but it takes a bit more reading to understand how it works. The only problem that I have ever found with Premiere, regarding video Audio is that one cannot gang the pots of several tracks, or work one with one's left hand, while working the other with the right, as you're likely to do on an analog mixing console. Maybe I can hook up three mice! [Grin] Other than that, Premiere offers so very much that you will be astounded, when you start to use it.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                      shooternz Level 6
                      This could get interesting.
                      • 8. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                        Sure you can gang them! That is what "Sends" are all about, isn't it?
                        • 9. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                          Level 1
                          My point in the original post was that something can be feature packed but if its not intuitive and user friendly or "accessible" then its going to be difficult to use. Instead of using different tools to manipulate sound I ought to be able to manipulate the
                          "yellow rubber band volume line" with my mouse clicks but ...

I didnt find out about this vol. manipulation from the manual (despite looking ) and I couldnt figure out the instructions the other fellow gave me because the pen tool didnt seem to work...

We all know the lessons of powerful systems which went nowhere because they were difficult to use or were used only by a few but I am new to this and I must be in the minority here... thanks all!
                          • 10. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                            I find it pretty simple to Ctrl-Click on a point, then a little farther along, then go to the next spot and do it again. Then pull down the section you want to mute of diminish.

You are new, and because you have not watched the tutorials, you think it is difficult. It isn't for beginners, too true. But that is why there are so many tutorials available.
                            • 11. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                              Level 1
                              Good point Steven.

Shiraz,

I don't mean to be rude, but the forum is here to provide help and support - not training.

Yes there are some methods and features that i find unintuitive or missing. You'll find thats the case with most products. No product is perfect. But all in all, CS3 is highly workable, customizable and intuitive to use.

I'm sorry you can't seem to find the information you're looking for. But if I can find it - so can you. Most of the basic and some advanced training I learned on how to use CS3 - I found by reading and searching the "Help" docs that come with the product. Searching the internet for free video tutorials filled in the rest of the gaps.

Besides "searching" the help files and internet, Adobe as well as other well known companies like "Total Training" and "Lynda" that sell great dvd tutorials on all the different aspects of CS3 from the basics to advanced features. Its well suited for beginners and experts alike.

Give one of them a try.

http://www.adobe.com/training/
                              • 12. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Steven:

i "Sure you can gang them! That is what "Sends" are all about, isn't it?"

Maybe I missed something in my working with the Audio Mixer. What I'd often like to do is pot up one Track, while potting down another, or pot up two, or more, at the same time. The only way that I can find to do this with the digital Audio Mixer is to work with one Track at a time. Maybe there is a feature to lock the Tracks, or to set one to respond to the inverse of another, but I've yet to locate that.

I can use the Sends to do several things, such as float back to the previous setting, once I let it go, etc., but it's the ability to control more than one, that I was referring to.

For the potting up of one and down of the other, I'd just use both hands on an analog consloe, but since the pots are available only from the mouse interface, I have to play Sequence (setting proper Send) riding the pot. Rewind and then run through the Sequence doing something with another Track. Either I wasn't clear on what I'd like to do, or you know a trick, or two, that I'd love to learn. I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Hunt
                                • 13. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                  Bill,

I thought you meant to gang them, meaning all up or down. No, I don't know of devices that would allow you to raise volume on one while reducing another. It is not something I need to deal with, since I generally just have a couple of audio tracks.
                                  • 14. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    A. Shiraz,

i "We all know the lessons of powerful systems which went nowhere because they were difficult to use or were used only by a few but I am new to this and I must be in the minority here... thanks all!"

APP has basically one level - Expert i.e. all features with all controls. Some programs allow the user to set the interface for several levels from "Beginner," to "Expert," enacting a change in how things are done, and the number of features available. APP doesn't do this directly, but Adobe has Premiere Elements which eliminates many advanced features and has a bit more "friendly" interface. I have not used it, so cannot comment on what might be different, other than it's targeted at a different level of audience and lacks many APP features. I'd guess that it would make a great learning platform until full migration to Pro.

There is an often overwhelming array of features, that I doubt I'll ever use in APP, but I'd not want anything changed, because many others use these features and understand their workings completely. It behoves me to learn them, though sometimes, I feel that I need a PhD in Audio Engineering, just to comprehend what many of them are.

Don't give up, or get frustrated with the program. As Nelso Moldenado explains, there are a lot of great training programs available, as well as many good and useful books on the subject.

Happy editing,
                                    Hunt
                                    • 15. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                      Level 1
                                      Bill, - Thats "Nelson Maldonado" to you bub! :)

Shiraz,

As Bil Hont explained, unless your doing very complicated edits that cover most aspects CS3 has to offer, you'll never learn or remember how to use all of the features - especially when you need them.

I'm always having to refer to the help docs, internet and forums when i run into an effect i want to use but don't know or can't remember how to do.
                                      • 16. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                        I'm fairly new to Premiere, and I *still* haven't figured out to use the keyframe animation to bring the audio level down as a sound bed under a soundbite. I read the other forum postings here, and get that you use the effects panel -- but I can't seem to actually make a keyframe. What's the secret, my friends? I know it's easy to do, I just can't seem to find the directions anyhwere. And as Shiraz said, it's not as intuitive as perhaps we might like. Or, as i think he tried to say, that for such a common step, it's darn hard to figure it out.
                                        Anyway, basic help on this for the newbie would be much appreciated.
                                        Thanks, Karla
                                        • 17. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                                          Did you consider to consult the Help file or manual? When you search for keyframe you will find numerous entries to help you get started.
                                          • 18. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            >I can't seem to actually make a keyframe. What's the secret

It's no secret. Click the Keyframe button.
                                            • 19. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                              Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the Premiere Pro Wiki that will quickly show you how things are done in PPro.

Cheers
                                              Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                              Premiere Pro Wiki
                                              - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                                              - Over 100 free tutorials
                                              - Maintained by editors like you
                                              • 20. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                Phil Griffith Level 2
                                                > I just feel someone should do IN DEPTH comparison of features and a survey of what features matter

Preferably before you buy a program and then complain that it's not what you want.
                                                • 21. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                  iMovie is a consumer level program designed for people who don't really know what they're doing and and who want to skip out on paying a trained professional to do the job. Premiere Pro is designed for those trained professionals. It's not surprising there's a big difference in the user interface.
                                                  • 22. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                    Level 1
                                                    How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question from late last week. But none of it answers the question I'm still struggling with: when I click t he keyframe button, it allows me to bring the whole audio line down, but I can't see how to be able to keep the sound level up, then bring it down under a soundbite, as a soundbed,then back up again after the soundbite, which is my goal.

I know it must be a simple task, I'm puzzled as to why I can't figure this out, but I will keep trying. Thanks for any hints you experts can pass along!
                                                    • 24. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                      Level 1
                                                      "I know it must be a simple task, I'm puzzled as to why I can't figure this out, but I will keep trying. Thanks for any hints you experts can pass along! "

Hey Karla,

Here is a story:
                                                      There were these "experts" who spent years of their lives going through arcane manuals and figured out how to operate a machine x. Their livelihood depended on this knowledge and so to maintain the barrier to entry to their profession they requested everyone to follow the same path as they did.

Sometimes innovations come along and the clergy are swept aside by the flood. Sometimes the clergy are not ; sometimes the innovation is swept aside by the clerical unions. When innovation suffers everyone suffers (including the children of the unions).

This is what I discovered Karla almost by accident (like Fleming discovering the antibiotic fungi):
                                                      after you have the yellow volume line showing you double click on the volume line and wala! you have a point which you can move up or down (instead of the entire line).

This is easy to do in other editors (FCP/IMovie etc.) but to get this answer people have told me about bezier curves etc. and a bunch of other things.

There are some who sit upon the gates of knowledge like serpents guarding a treasure ... I have been fortunate to be blessed with folks who shared generously. An old saying in the ruined parts of Asia goes so "teach the student 80% and keep the 20% hidden lest the student become a master"; the progressive and good say "teach the student with the aim that one day they become masters"
                                                      • 25. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                        shooternz Level 6
                                                        Nice analogy.

If I can also reccommend reading the manual Page 306/307, +427(Mac Vers) only because this will explain it better than I can write it out nad there is a step by step to follow.

Essentially :You need to establish key frames in the audio timeline and drag these to create the levels you wish. Its easier than you think and the shortcut keys will help.

Hope this helps somewhat.
                                                        • 26. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                          Level 1
                                                          Craig. You could copy and paste the instruction manual's excerpts in your post. It might help for future.

This is what I was working on (it is my attempt to share the treasure I have been blessed with). Your feedback would be appreciated.

I didn't use Premiere for the following but I was intending on using it :

The extended version of the video on Simplicity:
                                                          Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiyviPD-Mpk
                                                          Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tRyxz5PYXA
                                                          Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8tdBFBaXT4
                                                          Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76t1y2uGxFk

This extended edition of the video on simplicity tackles the following
                                                          feedback and critiques:
                                                          1) pro west bias (balanced by including examples from the east) (in part 1)
                                                          2) elaborate decorations that are cheap (or free) ( addressed in part 3 of 4)
                                                          3) more examples (part 4, part 2, part 1)
                                                          4) formula for success (part 3 of 4)

Previously or the shorter version:
                                                          Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibeqciF6Us
                                                          Part 2 and conclusion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG0A6Ob641g
                                                          • 27. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                            I prefer the story of the hungry man and the fish.

It does little good to give people their fish.
                                                            • 28. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                              Level 1
                                                              >You could copy and paste the instruction manual's excerpts in your post.

The thinking is that a lot of the information people need to operate the program is available in the Help file and the manual. Unfortunately, while I understand your analogy, a lot of people are scared of the manual because of the sheer weight of the information. However, if, as Craig has done, you can show people that simple, relevant information is available in the Help file it demystifies it as an "arcane manual" and shows that knowledge can be attained far quicker with that reference than waiting here for an answer.

I've always felt that this forum is more of a path of last resort, to gain info on the non-standard fringes that the manual just can't cover, to ask for the opinion of peers and to act as a support network when you get frustrated as hell.
                                                              • 29. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                Well said King, especially the last part.
                                                                • 30. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  I did read the manual and it did not help. I searched quite a bit through the online help (that is indeed what I do first because forums take longer to get a response from). One of the forum users helped with instructions but it was still no help (I didnt know I had to double click in order to get a purple dot on the yellow rubber band).

Now if the tool was intuitive we would not have to worry about searching for basic things like altering the volume of the soundtrack (the yellow rubber band).

It is always better to teach people to fish but the instruction manual that comes with the fishing pole is awful; there is not ONE screenshot in the online help despite it being a graphical tool. There is one introductory video worth the name on the adobe site and the rest of the "tons of tutorials" do not answer the simple question. The fishing pole itself resembles the enigma machine (how do you work it?).

The basic principle of the greeks was : simple clear transferable tools and knowledge (despite their "mysteries"). The founding principle of the reformation was God's word for the farmboy and the country lad. I hope we can embrace those good aspects and break the stranglehold of any clergy that resides over knowledge.
                                                                  • 31. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

There are many screenshots in the online help. Your rhetoric is not doing your credibility any good.

There are many more tutorials than just those on the Adobe Web site, as I pointed out before. The "knowledge" is not being guarded by some clandestine group, it's freely available to everyone.

Cheers
                                                                    Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                                                    Premiere Pro Wiki
                                                                    - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                                                                    - Over 100 free tutorials
                                                                    - Maintained by editors like you
                                                                    • 32. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      I finally figured it out, with help from a friend. So may I share for anyone else who runs up against the same problem/question I did, this is ever-so-slightly easier to read than the help manual:

* Select the sound bite audio track you want to modify.
                                                                      * Click on the key frame button (the small round button on the track preferences interface on the left).
                                                                      * That should insert a key frame in the audio track.
                                                                      * Move the video head to another part of the track and click the key frame button again. Now you have two and can move each in either direction.

Simple enough, especially for everyone familiar with the software. But I hope it helps another newbie.

Again, thanks to everyone who took time to try to help.
                                                                      • 33. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        I take that back, there are screenshots in the help. I may have encountered them while reading the help but if I did encounter they didn't somehow register. What I recall is this that the font was really horrid (almost brittle and bristly) it was utterly difficult to read, no steps were indicated and no screenshots.
                                                                        • 34. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                                          Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                                                          > * Select the sound bite audio track you want to modify.

> * Click on the key frame button (the small round button on the track preferences interface on the left).

> * That should insert a key frame in the audio track.

> * Move the video head to another part of the track and click the key frame button again. Now you have two and can move each in either direction.

>Simple enough, especially for everyone familiar with the software. But I hope it helps another newbie.

Here's another tip from the "teaching you how to fish" file...

That is an example of a SIMPLE concept that Premiere Pro (and many other professional DAW and NLE applications) uses in many places to control values over time called, Key Framing.

Once you grasp that SIMPLE concept, you can apply it when performing other operations like controlling opacity.

Gratz on figuring that out Karla!
                                                                          • 35. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            >[Me] I've always felt that this forum

>[Karla] ...this is ever-so-slightly easier to read than the help manual

And clarification! I forgot to include clarification as one of this forum's strengths.
                                                                            • 36. Re: How to Control Audio Volume of Soundtrack?
                                                                              Karla V and A Shiraz: Both of you appear to have little experience with Pro level NLE/graphics/audio software. Certain tools, like keyframes for example, have wide and recurring use across the spectrum of video and audio applications. I'm sure that Adobe does make some assumptions regarding the user's baseline knowledge when they write the manuals. The learning curve for programs like the CS3 series is huge. If you want to speed up this educational process, I would strongly recommend investing in the Total Training DVD tutorials (www.totaltraining.com) for PPro, etc. and be willing to set your project aside for a bit while you work thru the tutorials. It will enable you to gain some mastery in an organized, balanced fashion, and will ultimately be much, much faster than trial and error at every step of your project.
                                                                              If this is more than you bargained for, then you might be better off to stick with consumer level software.