4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2007 1:20 PM by akribie

Creating a coloured lense flare in CS3

I am trying to work out how to add colour to my lens flares, can anybody help?
        • 1. Re: Creating a coloured lense flare in CS3
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          Nested sequences allow you to create the lens flare on a transparent video, then move it to another sequence, cover it with a colored titles at less than full opacity, and nest the sequence back into the original.
          • 2. Re: Creating a coloured lense flare in CS3
            Level 1
            Thanks alot for you reply, i am relatively new to premiere and feel a bit stupid. Could you explain the technique a little more?
            I don't understand the difference between creating a flare on a nested sequence and a normal sequence is.
            When you say cover it with a colored title at less than full opacity, do you mean create a title then add a tint to it, then place it above the nested sequence of the flare?
            thanks again for your help
            • 3. Re: Creating a coloured lense flare in CS3
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
              If you want to create a tint on a lens flare, you can't do that if you apply it to the original clip.

After trying to get a color, I ended up having to apply it to a black video and then used the Luma key to reveal the original clip. I managed a bit of red.

This is probably a job for After Effects.
              • 4. Re: Creating a coloured lense flare in CS3
                akribie Level 2
                One way is to apply the lens flare to an empty title in a separate sequence.

Put that sequence above another title which is filled with the colour you want.

Apply the Track Matte effect to the filled title, with the lens flare sequence as the mask layer.

If your colour clip has uneven colour, so will the final result, so all sorts of colour effects are possible if that is what you want. You could even animate it.