29 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 8:08 AM by Frank Wylie

Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?

pmasters8941 Level 1
      I will admit, I had my doubts when Production Premium CS3 was announced. Sure the marketing sounded great and the examples and demos looked really good but as we all have learned, what you see is not always what you get.

Having had some time to play around with this suite, I find myself amazed with the value that Adobe has provided. There doesnt seem to be anything that you cant do with these apps. From OnLocation to Premiere to AE & Photoshop. Thus far, my fav app from the bunch has to be Soundbooth. Adobe has just made things a helluva lot easier. Will this guarantee Hollywood success? Of of course not but it surely increases the chances more now than ever before.

The plethora of features and apps make it seem to be impossible to become an expert at the all especially before CS4 ships. One thing is for sure that software has finally provided us a much more stable ground to build our visions. The only limitation I can see from this offering is our own imagination but then again, thats what brainstorm is for. :)

Good job Adobe.
        • 1. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          >There doesnt seem to be anything that you cant do with these apps.

Edit P2 files natively.
          • 2. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
            pmasters8941 Level 1
            But does that really take away from the price to get everything else? Not everyone has P2 nor will they go to P2 (which was a dumb idea to begin with IMO; too costly and not enough storage)Besides, XDCAM seems much better quality and affordable storage.
            • 3. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
              Level 1
              Patrick,

The CS3 suite is certainly a worthy product and a product that many of us have hoped for. A few components are not yet completely up to date, but I do hope that within the next version or 2, this will be an unbeatable suite. People often fail to realize the power of this suite.

- Aanarav
              • 4. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                pmasters8941 Level 1
                I am just amazed that we finally have a suite that one could essentially edit an entire major feature on instead of a tool that just contributes here and there. It feels really weird to say that i love being an Adobe customer now whereas in the past I was a customer because they werent a ton of alternatives (premiere 6.5). I havent even come close to unleashing its power and we still ill be able to do more once plugins start releasing as well.
                • 5. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >But does that really take away from the price to get everything else?

I suppose that's an individual assessment. For me, yeah it kind of does. The only thing I might actually miss is Blu-ray authoring, for which I would need the P2 support anyway.

>XDCAM seems much better quality and affordable storage.

Take care here. XDCAM is a video format which can theoretically be stored on various media. P2 is a storage format capable of holding various media. Two different things.
                  • 6. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                    Level 1
                    > I am just amazed that we finally have a suite that one could essentially edit an entire major feature on.

Patrick, CS3 still has some major holes that need to be filled, especially when it comes to audio integration and professional broadcast requirements.

Baz
                    • 7. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                      Thrill Media Level 2
                      I love the suite but I find PP to be the weakest link. It is hard for me because I use a different editor with realtime everything(transitions, 3D effects, etc. including realtime color correction(my most requested feature for PP because I tweak every clip).
                      I also miss a realtime waveform/vectorscope.

So, on the projects that I use the other editor on I miss the integration that the suite offers but I edit a lot faster. I have to decide at the onset which editor is best for the project and then move forward from that point.
                      • 8. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                        I would like to get the thing installed some year! I have done everything i can think of, and still no installation! I am happy you all have it up and running! Kelly
                        • 9. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Time for you to call Adobe Tech Support.

Cheers
                          Eddie

Forum FAQ
                          Premiere Pro Wiki
                          - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                          - Over 100 free tutorials
                          - Maintained by editors like you
                          • 10. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                            Level 1
                            >I am just amazed that we finally have a suite that one could essentially edit an entire major feature on instead of a tool that just contributes here and there. It feels really weird to say that i love being an Adobe customer now whereas in the past I was a customer because they werent a ton of alternatives (premiere 6.5). I havent even come close to unleashing its power and we still ill be able to do more once plugins start releasing as well.

I am very hapy to hear this as I have just dropped $1,277.25 for the CS3 Production Premium including shipping and taxes.

I'm confident that ADOBE will get it right and that they truly want to see us all edit great documentaries and features ... especially when we all place credits for "ADOBE CORPORATION" at the end of our shows (as I did for my last Telly Award-winning documentary, FIAT EMPIRE, cut entirely on Premiere 6.5 and Premiere Pro 2.0. See http://www.FiatEmpire.com)

James Jaeger
                            • 11. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                              pmasters8941 Level 1
                              James, I saw that. I was very impressed with it. :) The banking industry is the biggest scam ever put on this country for sure. :)
                              • 12. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                Level 1
                                [Mod Edit - Sorry James. The Ron Paul comments have created a thread in the Lounge. Please feel free to continue it there. No room for politics in the technical forum thanks. KL]
                                • 13. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                  Level 1
                                  What's with the CONSTANT unnecessary CAPITALS?
                                  • 14. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                    Hi,

Here's my view on CS3...

Up till now, we have had a number of Adobe products that "worked" together. Yes, we had problems with some components, but overall they worked pretty well together.

CS3 I see as the Foundation product for Going forward. It runs on Windows and on Mac.

Some things Adobe couldn't get working on the Mac (effects/filters etc) so they were removed from the product. This probably doesn't mean they are gone forever, but they had to get CS3 out the door by a particular date. We will probably see those missing things coming back in patches/updates or future versions.

We will see more and more features being added in future versions, but their developement problem is they have to make sure it runs on both platforms.

So - summarising - In CS3 we might be missing things, and Windows users feel the upgrade price isn't worth it, but we have a good and pretty stable "Base" product running on Both platforms, allowing Adobe to move forward in building a truly amazing suite of products while keeping the price at a reasonable level.

-mark
                                    • 15. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                      I will repeat here what I posted in the AE forum.

I got to say lads, after buying an M90 with 2.33 procecessor, 4 gigs of Ram and the 2500 graphics card especially for the new Adobe Master Collection and having tried out both After Effects CS3 and Premiere CS3 Trials I am really disapointed by the lack of improvement in the rendering times from my last specs.

I don't see any real diference between Premiere 6.5 on my old Dell 8200 with 750mgs of Ram and my new Dual core Multiprocessor Workstation?

Surely in this day and age and with multiprocessors etc....they have to make inroads into Rendering times. All well and good the Adobe is fantastic with bells and whistles but if it takes days to render anything....come on.
                                      • 16. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                        Level 1
                                        Okay, sorry. Will try to curb my enthusiasm in the future.

:)

James
                                        • 17. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                          Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                          Eire, I wonder how much of the "rendering issue" you are discussing, has to do with running a 32 bit application in a 32 bit operating system?

In that evironment, there is only so much a developer can do to make use of the multiple-cores. Effort will start to produce diminishing returns when you start to weigh the creation of innovative ways to work around 32 bit environmental limitations, versus just converting the 32 bit application to a 64 bit one to run on a 64 bit operating system.
                                          • 18. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                            Level 1
                                            As I mentioned earlier, I purchase CS3 Production Premium on 15 June 2007 and GUESS WHAT ... it arrived in good condition yesterday, 19 June 2007! Good job shipping quickly and safely ADOBE! Thanks.

Now, as soon as my TD and I tear the system down to zero, remove the Matrox RTX10 and SoundBlaster aliens from the ship and re-load a fresh Win XP OS, we'll install the 6-some ADOBE disks of the suite and hope there are no difficulties. Can't wait.

I really want this package to be the one. ADOBE (and my team) have really been working hard since 5.1c.

I also purchased, at the advice of some here, the CANOPUS ADVC-110 Bidirectional Media Converted from B&H for $209.95 + $8.90 shipping. I will need this to I/O analog to Premiere CS3. I hope this one works better than the last one I purchased and had to return (such being the the AV Tool Box AVT-2050), which cost about $250 plus $9 shipping.

I'll post my experiences when I get everything running.

James Jaeger

P.S. I am going to stay with my current motherboard and processor, being the Intel D955XBK and Pentium D 3GHz dual core processor, respectively. In order to upgrade to the Quad processor, I would have to also upgrade my motherboard and the whole thing would probably run about $500. At this point in time, I don't see any reason to do this ... does anyone else?
                                            • 19. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                              Level 1
                                              >I would like to get the thing installed some year! I have done everything i can think of, and still no installation! I am happy you all have it up and running! Kelly

Did you clean your sys before installing Premiere CS3? By this I mean, format your c-drive, reload Win XP with all appropropriate service packs and drivers?

James
                                              • 20. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                >At this point in time, I don't see any reason to do this ... does anyone else?

Judge for yourself.
                                                • 21. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                                  Frank Wylie

No, I am not feeling good abotu CS3;

After Effects is very buggy and crashes about 30 times a day on me.

Encore cannot author a blu-ray longer 45 minutes and crashes constantly with cryptic error messages that are impossible to interpret.

Adobe refuses to address any problems unless I upgrade to CS4, where multiple people are having huge problems in the same areas.

NO I AM NOT.

Frank Wylie

• 22. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

You likely have a local environment problem; as its pretty uncommon to hear that after effects constantly crashes.

If you are interested in resolving the problems, detail steps that can reproduce your crashes, any steps you've takes so far and details on your system and media used.

• 23. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Frank,

If you do wish to take Curt's suggestion, this ARTICLE might help you get started solving the issues. I would definitely do this in a new thread, so you'll likey get the most and best help.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I agree that for the vast majority, AE is crashproof, and not crashprone.

• 24. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                                        Frank Wylie Level 1

Well once I get through beating Encore until it gives up a useable Blu-ray image of my over-the-deadline project, I will revisit this and make the futile gesture once again.

However, since it involves CS3 Production Premium, Red Giant Plugins and Nucleo Pro 2 on a 8 Core Dell running XP 32 bit w/16 GB ram, I doubt we will get anywhere other than that perfect circle of finger pointing to the right...

Sorry, I know you're trying to help, but... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Frank "two clicks and a save or you'll be sorry" Wylie

• 25. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                                          shooternz Level 6

Three posts in this Forum doesnt indicate much of a willingness to resolve issues by way of searching for solutions.

Your experience would appear to be outside the norm for Premiere / AEFX / Encore users. That does not mean others have no issues but I am prepared to state that most dont have them to such a degree as you do.

My own experience is that the Adobe Suite works fine and productively for me in a professional environment.

• 26. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                                            Frank Wylie Level 1

My experience on many other mutlimedia site contradicts your rosy view of the problems many users are having with CS3 and CS4 while Adobe begins to turn its attention to a pure 64 bit version.

I am keenly anticpating the answer(s) on this form to be... UPGRADE and "oh, why would you WANT to do THAT?" !

You may be prepared to state anything, and yet, somehow, it doesn't invalidate hundreds of users who find NO ANSWERS forthcoming from Adobe on the myriad of problems that perisist from verision to version.

As for my attitude, you may think as you wish, but I don't subscribe to a "tinkerbell will live if we all believe" method of customer support.

I FINALLY got Encore to spit out a useable blu-ray BUT I had to name the project "disk" and save the project in the root OS directory or it would endlessly give an "Error 6" code and double or triple the size of the assets to be encoded and abort the project.

I was only able to do this after finding the solution on Creative Cow, when another desperate user tried guess after guess after guess when Adobe REFUSED to admit there was a problem.

Say what you will about how warm and fuzzy Adobe makes you feel, but I feel the opposite right now and don't care to hear the glossing over by fans.

• 27. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

In that case I consider this thread http://www.millcon.nl/Harm/Icons/closed.gif

• 28. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Frank Wylie wrote:

Say what you will about how warm and fuzzy Adobe makes you feel, but I feel the opposite right now and don't care to hear the glossing over by fans.

You need to suck it up and put up with opinions and experiences that are different from yours.  Just as the rest of us who don't care to hear ranting about problems that don't exist for us endure it because legitimate issues need to be addressed in the forum.

-Jeff

• 29. Re: Anyone else feeling really good about their purchase?
                                                                  Frank Wylie Level 1

I do all the time, Mr. Bellune, but so far, and it has been 9 months of on and off seeking answers and dealing with ragged work-arounds that were discovered in large part by users, NOT Adobe.

I do not find pat assurances that my circumstances are unusual any more comforting than before.

I don't seek to do anything outside of what Adobe advertises as possible with their software, according to the official documentation that shipped with the Production Suite Premium CS3 bundle, so your criticism that my issues are invalid IS invalid.

You are welcome to your opinions, but I don't have to share them.

That's the last I will comment on this thread.