15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2007 8:32 AM by Harm Millaard

Premier and Ultra

Level 1
      Hey I keep getting this Runtime error when trying to Import an Uncompressed 32- Bit keyed 16-9 .Avi file from Ultra into Premier. This caused Premier to fail and close...?!?! Why! Am I doing something wrong here? My format is HDV 16-9 60i

Als isn't there supposed to be a way where I can take a clip directly from Premier into ultra and then back? Its kind of bugging me how UNsimple this SIMPLE stuff is supposed to be.

Any help is apreciated
      -)_-.
      • 0. Re: Premier and Ultra
        Harm Millaard Level 7
        If it is a USB external, yes, that could cause the problems in combination with Vista.
        • 2. Re: Premier and Ultra
          Level 1
          As of writting the post 10 minutes I've been trying to Get premiere to close...which it wont. Not too happy with Adobe atm...
          • 3. Re: Premier and Ultra
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            Without specifics about your system, I can only guess that your system is possibly overtaxed from the uncompressed AVI. Did you try with 32 bit HuffYuv?
            • 4. Re: Premier and Ultra
              Level 1
              I have a Dell with Vista Intel core duo 2. 2 gigs of ram.

Currently this file that I"m trying to import is on a External drive. Think that could cause any issues?
              • 5. Re: Premier and Ultra
                Level 1
                ah... Thats a 12 gig file I'm sticking on my internal then...
                O well I'll give it a shot

O wait 4 gigs! thats a relief!
                • 6. Re: Premier and Ultra
                  Level 1
                  Thats a big negative on the most be the external hard drives fault. It still isn't working after moving it to internal. Any other ideas?
                  • 7. Re: Premier and Ultra
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Uncompressed requires about 18 MB/s sustained transfer rate in DV. Average transfer rates for a USB drive are around 20-23 MB/s, depending on the fill rate of the disk. If indexing service is on you quickly run out of transfer room. Add to that Vista, which is a memory and resource hog, and this could very well be the cause of your problems. However, your internal disk, even though probably quicker than the external one may suffer from 5400 RPM properties and maybe a relatively small cache. That is why I suggested lossless HuffYuv 32 bit as the codec to try. It requires less space.
                    • 8. Re: Premier and Ultra
                      Level 1
                      Huffyuv is that in Ultra? Codec wise in Ultra ther is a Intel IYUV is that what your talking about? Well I exported a trial clip in the IYUV format and that importated without any difficulty.
                      • 9. Re: Premier and Ultra
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Maybe I'm way off base here, but I thought Premiere could handle only up to 10 bit video files. 32 bit seems like huge overkill. Humans just can't see that much information.
                        • 10. Re: Premier and Ultra
                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                          Maybe not by default, but you can get it here:
                          http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley.edu/benrg/huffyuv.html
                          • 11. Re: Premier and Ultra
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            Jim,

There is a misunderstanding here. We are talking about 8 bits per channel, not 10, and with three channels (RGB) that adds up to 24 bits. Add the alpha channel into the equation and you have 32 bits. However, if you were to start out with 10 bit material per channel, you would need 40 bits.
                            • 12. Re: Premier and Ultra
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              My mistake. Thanks for the clarification. I've just not heard people using total bits before, only bits per channel.
                              • 13. Re: Premier and Ultra
                                Level 1
                                Well Ultra can only export In a 24 or 32 Bit format. Uncompressed anways.
                                • 14. Re: Premier and Ultra
                                  Level 1
                                  After all this trouble it looks like it was just an error in Ultra's exporting of the Umcompressed 32 bit file. Seems to be working now with this other clip I've been using. I think i just need to keep things in smaller chunks.

Thanks for the help
                                  • 15. Re: Premier and Ultra
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                                    In Ultra it is not uncommon to talk about 32 bit, meaning that you want to include explicitly the alpha channel in the output. In AE terms it would be called "Lossless with Alpha".