14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2007 11:27 AM by (tlc51369)

MpegProHD vs. Cineform

Level 1
      Anyone have any experience with MpegProHD - I'm thinking about getting it to use for an upcoming project (and maybe more if it works well enough). How does it stack up against Cineform?
        • 1. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
          Jeron Coolman Level 1
          Have you downloaded the demo of each program and tried them out?
          • 2. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
            Level 1
            Not yet...I was hoping for a little input from anyone who's used them on a regular basis.

I'll definitly do that before I buy either one...
            • 3. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
              Level 1
              MPegProHD 2 is a great PP2 plug-in for avoiding long render times when working in native HVD. It uses smart rendering that only affects changes and adjacent GOPs. It does not work with Premiere CS3 but there is new version out which I assume will work with CS3. In addition to HDV, it is also an excellent tool for editing DVD MPeg2 files using smart rendering.
              • 4. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
                Level 1
                Thanks Ron...that's great to know!
                • 5. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
                  Level 1
                  How does it work with Premiere native effects?

For Cineform you have to use their effects to get real time. I would be curious about MPegProHD.
                  • 6. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
                    Level 1
                    MPegProHD2 allows you to work with all Premiere native effects in real time as well as non-Adobe plug-ins such as Hollywood Effects & Steadymove. It also includes an export module in addition to the Adobe Media Encoder which provides an expansive number of presets. This plug-in will not provide a real time preview to an HD monitor using the Matrox Parhelia APVe graphics board. The capture module does provide on screen preview and device control but no scene detect.
                    • 7. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
                      Level 1
                      Just to set the record straight. SteadyMove PRO unfortunately does not work with Premiere PRO CS3 but it does work with After Effects CS3 (go figure?). As for Hollywood FX it can be made to work with CS3 using the same extension changes used with Premiere PRO 2.0
                      • 8. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
                        Jeron Coolman Level 1
                        >This plug-in will not provide a real time preview to an HD monitor using the Matrox Parhelia APVe graphics board.

It also won't work with any of the Aja boards as well.
                        • 9. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
                          Level 1
                          If this is true then why even consider Cineform. If you can use all the native Premiere effects I see no reason to use Cineform. Am I missing something? MpegProHD seems like it does everything you would want.
                          • 10. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
                            Jeron Coolman Level 1
                            MpegProHD does nothing to help with sequence timeline performance and they go out of their way in their manual to say this; e.g. if you are looking for a plug-in to help with performance, this is not the tool for you. MpegProHD will give you smart rendering and a lot more options for exporting. It will basically give you native editing of most flavors of MPEG. The Smart Requantizing sounds promising if you are trying to edit different forms of MPEG from different cameras on the same timeline.

One of Cineform's selling points is an accelerated timeline performance. Cineform supplies you with most of the common filters you would use, like a transition filter. The Cineform codec is supposed to perform better in AE than native HDV, so I would guess most of the Cineform users will do most of their filtering and composite work in AE. If you have Dynamic Link, this is no big deal. It also stands up to multiple generations of rendering very well. Cineform works with Aja boards for HD-SDI and component I/O, MpegProHD does not. For most people, Cineform can do the job and do it well.

It is 6 to one, half-dozen to another; e.g. It totally depends on your workflow.

I love the Cineform codec, but 70% of my sequences have non-Cineform-real-time effects since I use Adobe's Color Correction tools, Magic Bullet and Boris a lot. Going Cineform would force me to render way too much where I don't with HDV, so it makes using it not very feasible.
                            • 11. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
                              Level 1
                              Since I'm looking at the AJA board as well, seems like Cineform would be my choice. You all have given me some great input. Thanks for helping me sort this out. Anyone else who has input, I would love to hear it.
                              • 12. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
                                Level 1
                                >Ultra-fast performance:
                                Edit with up to real-time performance at DVD resolution.

This is right of their website (MpegProHD). If this is true Cinrform might be in trouble.
                                • 13. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
                                  Bill Heslip Level 1
                                  >This is right of their website (MpegProHD). If this is true Cinrform might be in trouble.

I think the key words are "DVD resolution". That's SD. The "up to real-time" also bothers me.
                                  • 14. Re: MpegProHD vs. Cineform
                                    Level 1
                                    Sorry - I just read the manual and it says the HD material is significantly slower. They failed to call that out on the features page.