7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2007 12:14 AM by (Wil_Renczes)

Cannot import stills in premiere CS3

I have seen multiple remarks on this. I also have this problem. I am running Win XP Pro SP2, prem CS3 3.1, Intel dual core E6850 3 GHZ, 2 GB RAM and 500 GB diskspace.
      I have tried to import straight high resolution pics but below the adobe-stated max size, I have reduced the size, I have extracted the exif data but I cannot import more than a couple of pics. Some I can display but the others remain grey or black. Nothing works.
      Importing high resols gets me the error : low on system memory.
      Medium resols give me the black images.
      Low resols seem to work better but the quality is not good.
      Anybody including adobe themselves has a solution to this?
      Thanks for any suggestions
        • 1. Re: Cannot import stills in premiere CS3
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          > I have tried to import straight high resolution pics but below the adobe-stated max size, I have reduced the size, I have extracted the exif data but I cannot import more than a couple of pics.

What format is used, how have you reduced size and what do you mean by extracted the exif data?

I recently copied around 900 high res pictures from a digital photo camera in jpg format to the server, incorporated these in a project, some using scale to frame size, other using motion and scale effects and did not encounter any problems, not even when all these pictures were on the network server instead of on a local hard disk. This with 2 GB memory, like you.
          • 2. Re: Cannot import stills in premiere CS3
            Level 1
            I imported in all kind of ways. My images are JPG 3888X2592
            When I import as such I get out of memory
            When I reside raising the resolution to 300 and no resampling and saving at max quality I get out of memory.
            When I save the same with quality of medium I see only a black image.
            When I save in q-low still a black image.
            Conclusion I am unable to import correctly any of my pics.
            This package is to me unusable.
            I am not the only one and cannot understand adobe does not address this problem.
            • 3. Re: Cannot import stills in premiere CS3
              shooternz Level 6
              What is the eventual Output or purpose of your project?

The image resolutions are maybe far higher than you need and if so you should donwsize them to project dimension size.
              • 4. Re: Cannot import stills in premiere CS3
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                > When I reside raising the resolution to 300 and no resampling and saving at max quality I get out of memory.
                When I save the same with quality of medium I see only a black image.
                When I save in q-low still a black image.

Meaning...???
                • 5. Re: Cannot import stills in premiere CS3
                  Level 1
                  Here is what I do: I imported the sequences from my Sony DV camera in PR.It is widescreen pal.Screen size w=720 H=576.
                  I want to add some of my pics taken with a 10,2 megapics still camera.
                  I tried to import the original pics but i cannot view the pic in premiere source monitor.
                  I tried various changes and finally I can import an image after having done image size changes in PS CS3 as follows:
                  The image is 3888X2592 pixels
                  I set in the doc size constraints on, resample on dpi=72 and docsize
                  H=480 W=720
                  Now after import I can view the image but on the timeline the imaged is zoomed although I have checked in the preferences scale to frame.
                  What am I doing wrong? Also is 72 dpi not insufficient for quality?

Thanks for any advice.
                  • 6. Re: Cannot import stills in premiere CS3
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    DPI is completely irrelevant for video, only for print. Why not resize to 720x576 with 1.067 PAR or 768x576 with square pixels? Why go for 720x480?
                    • 7. Re: Cannot import stills in premiere CS3
                      Level 1
                      The scale to frame size option only affects clips at the moment they're added to the project - any existing clips in your project window won't be affected simply by flipping the setting.