3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2007 3:58 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Work Flow between PP and AE

mickkeay Level 1
      I am newB to AE and wanted to ask the following: If I am in PP and have a timeline with a bunch of clips and decide I want to apply an AE effect to one (lets say a 10 sec clip which is sourced from a 10 minute long footage file) Now I cant copy the clip segment from the PP timeline and paste into AE (wishful thinking) Using the Dynamic link from PP just creates a new AE Comp with a link back to PP. So should I render out my 10 secs in PP and use that file in AE (dont like the sound of that) or should I import the 10 min source file and manually trim it in AE (also painful) I tried to chop it down in Virtualdub - but no luck as it is a HDV mts source. Thanks in advance Mick
        • 1. Re: Work Flow between PP and AE
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          Just copy the clip from the timeline and paste it into an After Effects timeline.
          • 2. Re: Work Flow between PP and AE
            mickkeay Level 1
            Thanks Steve. When I do this and copy the clip from PP timeline OK, but when I paste into AE I get the whole source file (not just my PP timeline portion) Is that right? I can live with it but wanted to make sure I was not missing something. The actual HDV file is 9G - so AE reports media pending for quite a while. I then have find my portion and trim it in the AE timeline to find my (PP timeline part) I want to work with. Am I making sense?
            • 3. Re: Work Flow between PP and AE
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
              That is one of the advantages of using Cineform Aspect HD. I can export the 10 second clip and not lose additional quality. I forget that other people don't use Aspect HD. Sorry.

I also use Scene Detection when editing HDV natively, (HDVSplit) so I seldom get long files, or at least, not any longer than I need.