18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2008 8:59 AM by fredou_79

Rendered sections aren't saving

This is a new problem on a feature-length video project that I am currently working on. The project is showing up in the timeline as being completely unrendered. Whenever I render a section, and then close and re-open the proejct, the rendered sections show up as unrendered again. I have checked the preview files folder and the render files are still there.

I am running CS3 in XP 32-bit, all internal hard drives. I have tried switching the scratch disc to a different drive, but I get the same results.
        • 1. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
          shooternz Level 6
          Try the old stand by solution:

Open a new project and import the old one into that.
          • 2. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
            Level 1
            Thanks for the suggestion - didn't work. Just tried importing it into a new project, rendering a section, saving/closing and then reopening and the rendered section is back to being unrendered again.
            • 3. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
              shooternz Level 6
              Delete all Render/Preview Files.

What are they rendering anyway? ie C.C, F.x, transitions...?
              • 4. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                Level 1
                Craig - Thanks for giving this your time.

It's an HDV project with transitions, some images and simple motion FX that I did in Premiere. I was working with Vista but ditched that a couple of weeks ago, set up XP and reinstalled CS3. But then when I opened the project up all of the files had to be "reconnected" and everything, including all of the videos, was unrendered.

I guess in the long run the rendering doesn't matter since all I care about is the finished video that I export when everything is done (as I understand it, rendering isn't necessary for video exporting?). It's just made previewing a few sections with transitions difficult. That, and anytime a new problem like this pops up I get concerned. I have been using Premiere for 6 years and I've never seen this before.

I'll give "Delete all Render/Preview Files" a shot.
                • 5. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                  jbaumchen Level 1
                  I am having the same problem on an SD project. I set the scratch disks, render the project, save it and close.

When I reopen the project, it asks me where the rendered preview files are. The window inside Premiere used to search for the files doesn't see any AVI files but when I use windows explorer, can see all of them.

What gives?
                  • 6. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

PPro will never ask you where temporary files are. If it can't find them it will automatically recreate them. It only ever asks about source files that it cannot find.

Please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
                    Eddie

Forum FAQ
                    Premiere Pro Wiki
                    - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                    - Over 100 free tutorials
                    - Maintained by editors like you
                    • 7. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                      jbaumchen Level 1
                      Thanks Eddie,

I assumed that the preview files were the source files for those sections, (transitions.....etc.), that required rendering.

Funny thing though, I closed the window without locating the files or checking the skip selections and the project came up with all green bars.

Actually, it's a bit scary because I don't know why it's acting this way.
                      • 8. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                        creig bryan-mUOxt4 Level 1
                        > PPro will never ask you where temporary files are. If it can't find them it will automatically recreate them.

I'm not so sure, Eddie. I've deleted render files (using the File Explorer, not Ppro's "Delete Render Files" option), only to have Ppro ask me to locate them again.

Keep Smiling
                        • 9. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Creig, interesting. I will have to investigate further.

Cheers
                          Eddie

Forum FAQ
                          Premiere Pro Wiki
                          - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                          - Over 100 free tutorials
                          - Maintained by editors like you
                          • 10. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                            Level 1
                            It seems this "Rendered sections aren't saving" is yet another bug with CS3 - and now I have been infected with it. I was working away on a project to see if CS3 is working any better with HDV so I rendered the project, closed shop and went home for the night. Came in the following day and re-opened the project (takes about 8 mins to open!) and when it has opened its all red render. So I rendered a small portion and closed/re-opened and it was red render again. tried it a few times with all the know techniques eg restart comp/delete prefs/open in a fresh project and import etc etc but it just will NOT remember the renders. So I opened a previous project that I know was rendered and it was fine so it has no logic to it. My workaround was to start all over again in PPro 2.

Baz
                            • 11. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                              Level 1
                              > Rendered sections aren't saving" is yet another bug with CS3

My rendered sections ave all the time.

Try removing unused media from your project, find it keeps things neat and speeds things up a little bit.
                              • 12. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                                Level 1
                                Hi Baz -

- Is there any device (ie flash drive, external firewire drive, or a network location) that might have caused your drive letters to change between the time you saved the project & the next day when you reloaded it?

- Could you look inside your user folder for a file called Plugin Loading.log & confirm that ImporterFastMPEG.prm is loading properly on launch?

Barring that, is it possible to get a couple things from you: 1) the project file that's showing this behaviour, and 2) a text dump of the project's preview file directory (easy way to do this: bring up a command-line prompt, 'cd' to the appropriate folder, and do 'dir /a > folderdump.txt').

Thanks!
                                • 13. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                                  Level 1
                                  Hey Wil

> Is there any device (ie flash drive, external firewire drive, or a network location) that might have caused your drive letters to change between the time you saved the project & the next day when you reloaded it?

No - nothing has changed. Just closing and re-opening exhibits the problem.

> Could you look inside your user folder for a file called Plugin Loading.log & confirm that ImporterFastMPEG.prm is loading properly on launch?

This from the log -
                                  "Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\Plug-ins\en_US\ImporterFastMPEG.prm
                                  Loading from disk...
                                  This plugin was recognized by loader 5."

I can upload all the other stuff to my server - can you email me so I can give you the link. The project size is 18,287KB. You can get my email address from www.lefflerpost.com.au as I don't want to post it here for the p h i s h e r s to sniff out and send me more p***s enlargement applications. I am quite happy the way I am.

Baz
                                  • 14. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                    >I don't want to post it here for the p h i s h e r s to sniff out and send me more p***s enlargement applications

And here I thought I was being targeted because somebody knew something that I really didn't want made public! ("How did they find out??")
                                    • 15. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                                      I've just had the same problem with a 1080 25i hd project. This sounds like a bug that Adobe say they are aware of and it occurs if you have clips that are run in reverse. I was told in the forum to try the time re-mapping function as a work around but that didn't solve anything. What I ended up having to do was to import the rendered files from the preview folder then overlay them in the relevant places in the time line. A pain in the **** but it enabled me finish the piece and export it to HDCAM for delivery to the client.
                                      • 16. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                                        Level 1
                                        John, I suspect that you missed one of the reversed clips in the project. If you care to check, make a backup of your project file; then open it up in a text editor, & do a search for 'PlayBackwards' (without the quotes) in the XML, see if you find any that are set to true. If so, you could modify this directly & try again.

Cheers
                                        • 17. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                                          Level 1
                                          Thanks Wil. I'll do that.
                                          • 18. Re: Rendered sections aren't saving
                                            fredou_79 Level 1
                                            for my case it was a reverse speed clip that caused the problem.

I isolated that clip on a nested sequence and everything wnet back to normal