6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2007 8:31 AM by (LeeStewart)

Dynamic Link Question.

Level 1
      I just upgraded to CS3 and had a question about changing my workflow to use the new Dynamic Link capabilities.

I have some video that I want to edit, then add some titles and blurring using After Effects (radial blur seems to have been removed from Premiere). I've seen documentation on putting an After Effects composition into Premiere, but I think I want to do the opposite - put the Premiere video into After Effects.

The goal is to let me tweak some edits, then go to After Effects and view/render the video.

Does that makes sense? Is this easy to do?

Thanks in advance,
      Lee
        • 1. Re: Dynamic Link Question.
          Level 1
          Copy and paste the clip from Premiere into After Effects.
          • 2. Re: Dynamic Link Question.
            Level 1
            That sounds simple enough. If I edit the footage in Premiere will the changes be reflected in After Effects?

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Dynamic Link Question.
              Level 1
              Most things will carry over but not all. You are better off pasting the clips in After Effects, make your adjustments and then bring the footage back to premiere through A Dynamic Link. That way whenever you make changes in After Effects the changes will automatically update in Premiere.
              • 4. Re: Dynamic Link Question.
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                Another option is to import your completed PPro project into After Effects. Changes you make in PPro won't be dynamically-linked or updated, so this procedure is best saved until you're doing your final effects, color correction/grading, and title work. Complete your edit and sequence timing in PPro first, then import the project into AE. You can DL that AE comp into your PPro project, and see your tweaks updated live.
                • 5. Re: Dynamic Link Question.
                  Level 1
                  >Another option is to import your completed PPro project into After Effects. Changes you make in PPro won't be dynamically-linked or updated, so this procedure is best saved until you're doing your final effects, color correction/grading, and title work. Complete your edit and sequence timing in PPro first, then import the project into AE. You can DL that AE comp into your PPro project, and see your tweaks updated live.

Keep in mind that everything does not carry over to After Effects. I was surprised to see that some simple transitions (among other things) do not carry over.
                  • 6. Re: Dynamic Link Question.
                    Level 1
                    Ah, so I guess there's no way of Dynamically Linking both ways. It would be nice if content could be changed anywhere and the changes would appear any place that the file was used (this would be helpful for PhotoShop files I'm using in After Effects) I guess I'll have to wait until CS4 :)

Thanks again for the help.
                    Lee