1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 30, 2009 9:26 AM by Colin Brougham

Does Premiere suport the Panasonic AVC-Intra codec?

joshtownsend Level 2
      I'm thinking about renting a HPX-2000 or the new Varicam 2700 because I want to play with 10bit 4:2:2 native files for an upcoming music video with lots of greenscreen and color correction.

Anyone have any experience with it? We're talking about going RED for it but I need other options for the bid.
        • 1. Re: Does Premiere suport the Panasonic AVC-Intra codec?
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          Doesn't appear to right now. That was one of the bullet points in the literature pre-release, but it looks like it was canned for the time being. I would imagine we'll see it at some point in CS4--maybe the next point update?--but I wouldn't bet on that horse.

Panasonic does have a transcode module for FCP, that'll turn AVC-I into ProRes422. You could then install the ProRes422 decoder for Windows (I guess I'm assuming you're on Windows) and edit those in PPro--the decoder actually works pretty well, in my limited testing. Granted, it's not a native solution, but a solution, nonetheless. RED and the beta importer might be the better option.

EDIT: Another option would be to download and install the demo of Grass Valley Edius, which natively supports AVC-Intra. You could transcode to whatever you wanted, then--like Avid DNxHD, for example. Again, not native--but what can you do? :)