18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2010 6:16 PM by the_wine_snob

Problem with Write-On Effect and still images

Hello,

I am running Premiere Pro CS4 with the following configuration: XP with SP2, 2GB RAM, Intel E6600 Core Duo 2 - 2.40Ghz.

The Write-On effect works perfectly with any types of video clips: effect is applied to the clip, I then expand the effect in the Effect Controls panel, toggle animation on Brush Position, and build a line / shape while moving the cursor over time. This works perfectly.
      But following the exact same procedure does not work on still images, neither on Color Mattes: as soon as the animation on Brush Position is turned on and I move the cursor over the time line, the program becomes non-responsive (the CPU usage jumps to 100%...). I've tried different image types, down sampled images, without any luck.

I am probably missing something here... Any insight please?

Much thanks,
      Ben
        • 1. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
          Level 1
          Hi,

Did anyone else experience this issue?

Thanks,
          Benoit
          • 2. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
            I have a same problem. My configuration is Intel C2D 6320, 3GB RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit.

Ivan
            • 3. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
              shooternz Level 6
              Workaround (maybe).

Export the still sequence as an intermediate movie file (.avi)
              • 4. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                SnowWhite2

I am also having trouble using the write-on video effect in premier pro cs4.  I have a jpeg map imported into the timeline and am trying to create a route.

I create key frames but when I try to render it is trying to take hours for one or two key frames.  The jpeg file is 3 Mb and I am  running Windows 7.  Do you know of any reason this should not work?

• 5. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                  shooternz Level 6

I can only suggest and repeat  the workaround I suggested above your post

• 6. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                    SnowWhite2 Level 1

I tried exporting the still image map as an avi file.

Then when I used the write-on video effect on the avi file I could create the key frames for the points along a map. Also, the time to render was fine.  However, the line that is drawn is offset from the points on a line that I selected with the cross-hair target created by animating the brush variable on the write-on effect.  How do I get alignment of the drawn line with the template brush cross-hair??

• 7. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                      SnowWhite2 Level 1

I tried that and it did render correctly.  However, I now have a mismatch of where the line is created.  I have created a map.avi and when I apply the write-on video effect ( I have Premier pro cs4 on Windows 7) I am presented with the x inside a circle which I move along the road on my map.  However, the paint brush is not painting on the same spot on my map.  What do I need to adjust so that the paint brush and the target match up?

• 8. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Snow White,

Maybe this will work better for you:

In Photoshop, Open up your "map" Image, and Dbl-click on your Background Layer, converting it to a regular Layer, and name it Map..

Create a New Layer, and name it Line.

Draw your line, as is necessary.*

Save_As .PSD.

Import into PrPro as a Sequence. Open up the Bin with this Sequence and drag your Map Layer to Video Track 1, and the Line Layer to Video Track 2.

On the Line Layer Clip, apply the Effect>Crop. Animate that to "reveal" the Line. Not sure where you want it to start, but I'd just use one "side" of the Crop Effect. With Keyframes on the Effect>Crop, you can adjust the time of the "reveal" on the Line, and can also pause it, should you wish. I'd look at Continuous Bezier Velocity control.

Now, the above will give you a sharp edge on your line. If you want it to be softer, then look into doing Track Matte Keying, as you can Blur the edge, or even provide a "rounded" edge to the line. Again, you can animate that Track Matte with Keyframes.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

* Not knowing what you want your Line to look like, there might be some additional functions that you might consider. You can alter the Brush Dynamics with things like Jitter, etc., so that it looks more "hand-drawn." You could also degrade it a bit to keep it from looking too precise. That bit of aesthetics is totally up to you.

• 9. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                          shooternz Level 6

I am not sure why that happens for you.  I did a litle test and the animated line exactly

corresponded to the keyframed points.

There is no option to offset it so I am puzzled.

Check: Does the clip you exported from the still images match the project settings and dimensions exactly. ( Including PAR)

BTW : "grasshopper Bill's" solution will work but it is a workaround that should not be required.

• 10. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, give me some props! I managed to work in PS for you and Track Matte Keying for Colin.

I just wanted to throw out another approach for getting the desired effect. I also like the Line being done in PS, as I can "distress" it, and even easily add a Drop Shadow, if desired. Then, it looks rather like it was being drawn on a thick Lucite® plate.

To Snow White - good luck, and let us know what works for you. I do not mind if you use Craig's way, and get it to work as you desire. My feelings will not be hurt, but I would like to know how you solve the issue. I've used both methods, but do not recall trying the Write-On with a still image.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                              SnowWhite2 Level 1

Hi!,

Thanks for the suggestion to look at pixels.  I am creating a HDV movie with presets of HDV 1080i 30. I set up a test movie with presets of HDV 720 p30 because it had square pixels.  I took a picture of a map (Jpeg) and put it into the test sequence.  Then I exported it to AVI and when I put that back into the timeline I was able to create the effect I wanted with the write-on.  I also selected default scale to frame size which I have not been using in genereal because I am doing a lot of panning and zooming.

I am thinking the reason it was not working was because I had the HDV 1080i 30 rather than HDV 720 p30.  Does that make sense to you?  I will say that the avi file comes in with PAR 1.21 even though the jpeg was PAR 1.0.   By the way, should I avoid scale to frame size if I want to zoom in on the map I am creating?  Or am I confusing it's use.

• 12. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I always uncheck Scale to Frame, as I want my stills (and other Assets) to be in their native resolution. If I need to zoom and pan, I just do that with Keyframes on the Effect>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                                  SnowWhite2 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion.  I do like the options for controlling the look of the line as well.

• 14. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, options are always nice.

Best of luck, and see, I told you I would not be hurt, if you used Craig's suggestion, and not mine.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                                      Robbie Dahl Level 1

Just discovered that the problem with the Writeon effect not being able to be used on Still images in PPCS4 is still present in CS5. It's not as though the technical people don't know about it, they just choose to not care, apparently. It worked fine in CS3.

Anyway, to the best workaround for the problem:-.[ BTW it really does not matter what technical merits your computer has, as long as it will run PPCS5, or what type of still image or what the sequence settings are, you will still get the problem that Writeon will not work correctly on any still image.(Do any of you guys actually test out the effect yourselves before making some of your suggestions?!?)]

Oops, but I digress, back to the solution THAT ACTUALLY WORKS  - 

1. Create a sequence and place the still image inside the new sequence. Drag out the image to the length that you want it to display in your movie.Don' t apply any effects onto the image in this sequence.
                                      2. Drag the newly created sequence, that has nothing but the still image in it, into another sequence.
                                      3. Apply the writeon effect to that nested sequence clip.
                                      4. Voila! Everything should now work as it should.

I have replied to this post in the hope that it helps someone trying to use the effect in CS4 or 5. Good luck!

• 16. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        (Do any of you guys actually test out the effect yourselves before making some of your suggestions?!?)]

Actually, I have written several articles on doing it exactly that way, and have used it in a dozen productions. If you can't get it to work for you, then it must be a bad case of OE.

Hunt

PS - always nice to have such happy folk come to this forum.

• 17. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                                          Robbie Dahl Level 1

Well - Oops! Read all the replies again and can see that the suggestions offered would indeed work. Also some interesting ideas. Still prefer my method of nesting the sequences as the quickest and easiest.

What is OE? Are you suggesting that I would ever make a mistake? Surely not!

• 18. Re: Problem with Write-On Effect and still images
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

OE = Operator Error.

Robbie,

I am not saying that you do not have a good workflow. It allows things to work, as most would anticipate they would work. That is a very good thing.

What I was offering (and so were others) were methods to get the poster's job out the door, by using other methods, that would allow one to do the same thing.

At that time, I did not have time to investigate what the issue/Bug might be, but only to furnish a workflow that would create the same, or very similar results. Sometimes, getting that job out the door is most important.

I am very glad that you found a way to get things to work fine. That takes some effort and though, and it is greatly appreciated, especially as it should help others in the future.

What I took direct offense at was the insinuation that I had not tested my suggested workflow and implications that it would not work. It does, using a few other Effects. That hit a nerve. I try my very best to never offer a workflow that I have not tried, and found to work. It might not be the ultimate. I go back and forth with several forum contributors (I think that some weighed-in in this thread), on how best to do something, or which programs might be better to accomplish the same thing. It is not that my way, or Colin's way, or Craig's (ShooterNZ) way is inferior, just a different workflow. I love using Photoshop, as I have made my living with it for decades, and other might immediately reach for AE. I like keeping things in PrPro as much as possible, and then grabbing whatever is on my "shelf" to get the job done.

As with Photoshop, there are often myriad ways to end up with the same product. One workflow might save a keystroke, or two, but the product will be the same, or visually so.

The challenge that things had not been tested, was what I had issue with. Otherwise, you get a big THANK YOU, and hope that newcomers learn from your efforts and from your instructions.

Why the Write-On Effect does not work better is a mystery to me. Maybe it's a coding glitch, that has not been fixed, even now. Maybe it's something that is just being missed. Regardless, you have offered a way to get it to function, as most expect. That is great, and is appreciated.

Good luck,

Hunt