3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2009 10:19 PM by (Gabriel_Lam)

Canon HF11 AVCHD and Premiere Pro CS4

chriscorcoran
      I had been using a Canon Optura xi for years with good success, and recently with Adobe On Location with good success.

Recently I decided to take the plunge into HD and purchased the Canon HF11 which has AVCHD.

I realize now that without firewire support I cannot use On Location. Too bad because I really liked the ability to note my scenes, etc.

I'm having a little trouble getting everything to work together and was hoping someone could offer some suggestions.

My output is going to be hi def for you tube and for family movies (burned to DVD and/or AppleTv).

1. If file size is not an issue should I always shoot at highest quaility?
      2. Would I choose the setting AVCHD 1080i30 (60i) non-amorphic?

What recommendations would you have for exporting to You Tube, DVD, and Apple TV. So far my exports have been a little blocky.

Last, would you recommend purchasing AVCHD upshift to make the editing process a little less painful ($50 vs a $3,000 for new system).

Chris
        • 1. Re: Canon HF11 AVCHD and Premiere Pro CS4
          mickkeay Level 1
          1. Absolutely
          2. Yep assuming you are in US and not PAL
          but compare the end dvd quality with similar but shot in SD (MPEG) footage (assuming you dont lose the audio on import to CS4) Interlaced HD footage can suffer in the all adobe down conversion to SD DVD

H264, 1280x720, 128k mono AAC Audio for youtube I think
          think there is a 1G / 10mins limit

IMO Elecard is a better option than upshift but both are poor substitutes to a new i7 PC with native AVCHD editing
          • 2. Re: Canon HF11 AVCHD and Premiere Pro CS4
            chriscorcoran Level 1
            Thanks for the response. I'm going to try this out tomorrow for youtube.

If I were to export from premiere for anything but youtube and maintain highest quality for playback on a PC what would you suggest? There are just so many presets I don't know what to pick. I've tried a few (Quicktime) and they look lousy.

Maybe I'm missing something, I see other people mentioning interlacing, etc. Someone else suggested shooting 24P to eliminate interlacing issues?

Thanks for helping me get to a resoltion.

Chris
            • 3. Re: Canon HF11 AVCHD and Premiere Pro CS4
              Level 1
              you could try the None or png or JPEG codec if you are on the pc, but those take alot of Harddrive space.

And i think i was the one who started the topics about 'interlacing, etc. and converting 60i to 24p'- dont worry about it, i just wanted to make my stuff look more film like.