9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 10:11 AM by Eric1138

What are the extra XD CAM EX files for?

Level 1
      I don't understand why the EX1 produces these strange files. If you shoot somethiong on the EX1 you get not only the MP4 file but also one SMI, one PPN, one XML, one BIM file. What are these extra files for? I don't get it.
        • 1. Re: What are the extra XD CAM EX files for?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Sony's way of making things proprietary, I guess. Panasonic did the same thing. Instead of creating a single, standards compliant .mxf file, both companies have chosen to screw the end user and muck things up a bit.
          • 2. Re: What are the extra XD CAM EX files for?
            shooternz Level 6
            I dont feel screwed or mucked up by Panasonic at all. Works fine for me.

I dont even look at anything but the video file(s) from the P2 structure.
            • 3. Re: What are the extra XD CAM EX files for?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Yeah, from within Premiere. But you do lose certain "file manager" abilities using Explorer. Here's a good summary of the issue:

"...many MXF systems produce split-file A/V (that is, the video and audio stored in separate files), and use a file naming convention which relies on randomly generated filenames to link them. Not only does this exacerbate the issue of knowing exactly what is in an MXF file without specialized tools, but it breaks the functionality of standard desktop computer techniques which are generally used to manipulate data on a level as fundamental as moving, copying, renaming, and deleting. [emphasis added]"

One file per clip, containing video, audio, timecode and other metedata could have been done. It is precisely what the MXF format was designed for. What you have now may work, but what you could have had would have worked better.
              • 4. Re: What are the extra XD CAM EX files for?
                shooternz Level 6
                In the real world it is very simple to manage P2 (and most likely EX) files.

Keep the Folder structure together and there are no issues. Premiere "manages" mxf files easily and CS4 even better (the CS4 browser).

Use the Description column to name or log the shot is one simple way of IDing the file in the project. (Thats where you are going to use/edit it after all said and done

Not knowing what is in the file in Windows Explorer is no issue at all. If you intend to go tapeless ever Jim, you will have to get over your old workflows and adapt to file based protocols. Naming every avi file individually is kind of slow and dare I say anal.
                • 5. Re: What are the extra XD CAM EX files for?
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  took the words out of my mouth Craig. Jim heres a freindly suggestion, instead of fighting technology just shoot a good short or something. P2 is the easiest to edit and most reliable format to shoot in. After going mainly P2 for the past couple of years shooting to DV tape is as silly as shooting SVHS or Hi-8.

But you'll never be happy so there is nothing anyone can say...you're seem like the type who would complain about anything that is new. You should change your name to Legacy.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda whatever. Your the kinda guy who'll never be happy and thus never be flexible enough to run any sort of half-professional production.

Filmmaking/shorts/docu any type of production is compromises.
                  • 6. Re: What are the extra XD CAM EX files for?
                    Larry Darr Level 1
                    Josh, I don't know how young you are, but try to moderate your commentary a bit, eh?

When I first got into editing with Adobe several years ago, the forums actually stuck to useful info and were friendly. I've been quite content with what I've been doing so far with my 7 year old stuff as have been my clients. Now I'm doing MAJOR upgrading; a total revamp of my studio and I'm finding that there is MUCH to learn; so much has changed from the days of "just get the fastest processor you can and the most amount of RAM you can afford and you're good to go." So, where do I turn? To the Adobe forums. MUCH has changed here too. :(

Sorry to be so upset, but you calling me lazy in another thread when I asked a sincere question wasn't taken too well. I'm a 57 year old grandpa that is just trying to make his way in a difficult economy by working 15-16 hour days, 7 days almost every week for the past 3 months. Lazy? Like I said, back off and be useful in the forums because in other posts I see you have some good contributions.

Larry
                    • 7. Re: What are the extra XD CAM EX files for?
                      joshtownsend Level 2
                      So because you work a lot, we should do your google searches for you about video cards outputs and not complain?

I work my *** off but I still come here to help people out with Premiere CS4 so sorry if I'm not the most polite person when asked OT stuff that can be easily figured out. There is no moderator here so I moderate myself as I see fit. Sorry you don't like it. If you think I'm blunt you must not have met Harm yet.

You think the forums have changed? Try out the new version of Premiere if you want see change for the worse.

The post above is a personal ongoing disagreement I and others have had with Jim anyway.
                      • 8. Re: What are the extra XD CAM EX files for?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        > If you think I'm blunt you must not have met Harm yet.

That will happen in due course...
                        • 9. Re: What are the extra XD CAM EX files for?
                          Level 1
                          "Try out the new version of Premiere if you want see change for the worse."

Wow...harsh...