17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 11:02 AM by Thrill Media

Quadro CX - monitor question

Larry Darr
      I am considering the Quadro CX card. The photo on nVidia's site appears to only have one DVI connector ...... Not know much about the DVI thing, can 2 monitors be connected to a Quadro CX?

Thanks,
      Larry
        • 1. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
          joshtownsend Level 2
          Check with Nvidia they sell and developed the product. Wrong message board. Or you could just google the specs. I could do it for you but I must be as lazy as you are.
          • 2. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
            Larry Darr Level 1
            Good morning Josh. Thank you for your thoughtful, inspiring reply.<br /><br />I have searched and searched and searched this out. I have even gone to <gasp>, the manufacturers web site. You may have noticed that I menitoned in my short post that I have been to the nVidia site. I still don't know. A forum where people edit with CS4, which is what I am moving to; a forum where folks editing with CS4 are using computers with a huge range of spec's, is a good place to ask for information.<br /><br />Reading through these forums, I'm hoping that someone with knowledge and respect towards others might have an answer or be able to steer me in that direction? The Quadro CX card looks very good spec wise but I don't get whether or not it can support 2 monitors. I intend to use 2 HP LP2475w's. Thanks<br /><br />Larry
            • 3. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
              Level 1
              >Check with Nvidia they sell and developed the product. Wrong message board. Or you could just google the specs. I could do it for you but I must be as lazy as you are.

Don't listen to him Larry. He thinks he is funny. There is no problem with you asking the question. It's nice get opinions on such things.

Don't let him turn you off to the others who actually like helping others.
              • 4. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                I think the CX is a waste of money and you may be better served investing in a decent sub $ 300 card and spending the rest on better CPU, memory, raid controller and disks. The number of CX users here will be very small and you may find your answer much quicker by contacting nVidia directly, as Josh told you.
                • 5. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                  Larry Darr Level 1
                  Thanks tlc .. I'm fine. :)

Lo and behold ... I just found what I wanted on the B&H Photo site!

"The card allows you to connect 3 displays for a professional configuration. Each of its 2 DisplayPort connectors and its single DVI-I connector support 2560 x 1600 digital displays."

Also from B&H:
                  "High Resolution
                  The card provides a maximum analog resolution of 2048 x 1236 per display. The card features a single dual-link DVI-I and 2 DisplayPort ports that can output a digital resolution of up to 2560 x 1600 pixels each. This lets you connect multiple high-resolution displays to your computer with ease.

Now I just have to make sure my displays are compatible with whatever a "DisplayPort" is. :)

Larry
                  • 6. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                    Larry Darr Level 1
                    Thanks Harm Millaard for your input. The <$500 cards I've looked at don't support 3D which is something I'd like.

You mentioned that the Quadro CX is a waste of money. I'm wondering if you could elaborate a bit on that? It does support 3D, Open GL, has 1.5GB DDR3 RAM, can work in tandem with a second card should I choose that, to double performance. There is also some sort of work-together thing with Adobe and nVidia on this card for compatibility.

I will be using the Master Bundle CS4 and have to make sure as best I can up front, that everything will play together inside the 'puter box.

Larry
                    • 7. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      There is no discernible performance difference between a $ 150 video card and one costing $ 2K. For video editing nearly every current video card is no bottleneck. More than 512 MB memory is not used for video editing, so anything more is just a waste of money. This all becomes quite a different story when you are using 3D modeling with Maya, Vue and the like. It makes more sense to me to save around $ 1700 or more on the video card and spend it on other system components. The CX only has an advantage when encoding with H264. A faster CPU or an additional CPU, more memory and a better disk setup with a good controller card will benefit you all the time, not only with encoding to H264. A simple nVidia 260 in SLI or ATI in crossfire (possibly with 3 cards) will gain you better performance in games, not in editing. It will also cost you cooling troubles, apart from the cash.

With the i7 you contemplate, you may be better off with 12 GB RAM, an Areca 1680ix-12 controller with 2 GB cache and BBM, a large number of 1 TB disks in raid 3, 5 or 50 and hot swappable bays. Add to that a good external monitor like the JVC DT-V24L3U and your costs will go up easy.
                      • 8. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                        joshtownsend Level 2
                        It's a waste of money unless you render a lot of h264 because that's what your paying all the money for, a plug-in that only comes with the card and accelerates h264 and flv rendering. That's all it does that 300 hundred dollar card doesn't.

Other than that plug-in the card won't accelerate anything in Premiere any better than any other card. If your editing 100 megapixel photos in Photoshop then the card will help. If you also do a lot 3D modeling the card will help.

"There is also some sort of work-together thing with Adobe and nVidia on this card for compatibility." Nvidia's website makes you think that, but truth is any brand of video card will accelerate the same things. The only thing they work together on is a plug-in made by Elemental technology. Google it.

Your paying $1000 extra for a plug-in that render only two types of files, that is why it is a rip off.

Was that response nice enough?
                        • 9. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                          joshtownsend Level 2
                          damn Harm beat me to it.
                          • 10. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                            Thrill Media Level 2
                            Larry,
                            Well, that's not all it does. Here is a good review of the card and CS4:

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/workflow/test_drive_nvidia_quadro_cx_0112/

If you use AE it will give you some punch there as well, in fact that may be the only reason other than encoding H264 that you would consider the card at this time. Who knows if nVidia can add more benefits later. I wouldn't personally put my own money into it either.

I did just get the Quadro FX 1700. I haven't really noticed a huge difference in PP over my previous nVidia GeForce 9600 but in Lightwave 3D it bounces! AE likes it a little more too. So I consider it a worthwhile investment.

The DVI connections are newer connections compared to basic monitor connections. They also can include audio and data if your monitors have a card reader for example. A good way to go.
                            • 11. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                              joshtownsend Level 2
                              Still with AE it's only a few effects that are speeded up. And it's only the new ones like toon and turbulant displace. They say pre-comps are accelerated in AE but I can't see barely any difference when I did some testing by switching Open GL preview on and off the other day.

Also in the new chapter of Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects CS4 it says that GPU accelerated FX only use a single processor when rendering.

http://www.focalpress.com/giveaway.aspx?ekfrm=5130

Thanks for link Curtis. How big a difference does the 1700 make in AE?
                              • 12. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                                joshtownsend Level 2
                                Part two of the article is way more enlightening.

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/affordablehd/newsletter/test_drive_nvidia_quadro_cx_0126 /index.html

Love the ending to the article. Sums up what we all are trying to say.

"I hope (and challenge) Nvidia will do more to objectively show when and where the CX truly lives up to the claim that it is "the accelerator for Adobe Creative Suite 4"and more cost-effective than cards costing a fraction of the price, even after a new bundle deal announced by Nvidia.

There's no doubt that if I were buying a graphics card for CS4 production today, it would be an Nvidia card. It just wouldn't be the Quadro CX. "
                                • 13. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                                  Larry Darr Level 1
                                  Josh, I apologize for the rant due to the "lazy" remark. I know I'm not, you probably didn't mean much by it ...

Thanks for all the input guys. You are using terms that are broadening my search and it's helping a lot.

The displays I chose to get when I buy all this new stuff are HP LP2475w. I'll have two of them and have the Displayport standard connectivity. I chose them for their S-IPS LCD's. (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01 506254&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN )

As far as h.264 goes ... I was reading about it in several places and it appears to be the going standard? ( http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/h264/faq.html ) It seems that the Quadro CX does a fine/fast job with h.264. There may be other cards too. I'll be checking them out.

Josh: "If your editing 100 megapixel photos in Photoshop then the card will help. If you also do a lot 3D modeling the card will help."

Me: I do a lot of pano's in PS and they are regularly 300+Mpx so that input is helpful too. Plus, I am learning 3ds Max too so it sounds like this card will help a LOT with that.

Larry
                                  • 14. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                                    joshtownsend Level 2
                                    It's cool Larry. Your money but make sure you read those articles. Also remember in a few months it will a lot cheaper and there will be more CUDA accelerated programs.

My problem with the card is the thousand dollar mark-up for a plug-in. A much cheaper card will accelerate the photoshop and 3dmax more than that card will.

All that said I'd love to have that card, it just cost SOOOO MUCH for so little.

How much will the card cost after the bundle savings?
                                    • 15. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                                      Larry Darr Level 1
                                      Thanks Curtis for the link. That was a very informative write up for me. I like what the guy said about the card concerning PS CS4, but it looks fairly dismal in regards to PP CS4 and something less expensive like Josh said would be just as good in AE.

Larry
                                      • 16. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                                        joshtownsend Level 2
                                        I think I just made a new friend.......... ;)
                                        • 17. Re: Quadro CX - monitor question
                                          Thrill Media Level 2
                                          "Thanks for link Curtis. How big a difference does the 1700 make in AE?"

Honestly, I can't say how much. It seems to build previews a bit quicker. Both cards have the same amount of RAM so I would have to say it just seems a bit quicker. But... to be fair, I did upgrade the processor to Core i7 , Ram to 8 Gig and OS to Vista 64at the same time. It is most noticeable in Lightwave where I was having problems previewing multiple streams of video textured on to geometry.

I think they have a faster card out now for less. The 260 maybe?