7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 3:14 AM by eddiem100

No audio in source window

RDRowland
      Anyone know why I don't have audio in my source window when editing with .mfx files? When I drop the edit to the timeline, there's audio, no problem. Changing from composite to audio waveform in the source window shows a flat line. Here's a clip property:

File Path: P:\Projects\Premier Paint 2000\B-roll\CONTENTS\VIDEO\0032L8.MXF
      Type: P2 Movie
      File Size: 112.9 MB
      Image Size: 720 x 480
      Pixel Depth: 0
      Frame Rate: 29.97
      Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Mono
      Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono

Any suggestions? Thanks!
        • 1. Re: No audio in source window
          lbsimpson Level 1

I am currently having the same problem.  And it seems to be very hit or miss. Though generally lack of audio in the source window holds

true, a couple of clips will play back audio.  I'm guessing it has something to do with  my file storage structure, but could just be a bug.  Anyone else experiencing this issue with mxf clip editing?

I've imported P2 and Ikegami GFCam mxf files.

Lindsay

• 2. Re: No audio in source window
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When the muxed files were Imported, did the Conforming Audio complete? There is a little progress bar to the lower-right of the GUI. This process must be allowed to complete. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

If the Conforming DID complete 100%, then I am out of ideas, but at least we will have ruled that out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: No audio in source window
              lbsimpson Level 1

Thank you for input.  The article you references was insightful, but I'm not quite sure what you are referring to when you write "GUI". So can't say yes or no on whether or not the audio was conformed. The only obvious progression bar I've noticed is simply the 'Import' box and bar that pops up in the center of the screen.

Lindsay

• 4. Re: No audio in source window
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Lindsay,

Sorry. GUI = Graphic User Interface, basically the full screen that one sees with PrPro. The progress meter is in the lower-right of that screen, and the bar is, or at least was, blue in earlier versions. Depending on the speed of one's system, the Duration of the Audio file (muxed or elemental/elementary stream) and how close that file is to 48KHz 16-bit WAV, it might flash in a second, or take up to a few minutes to complete. When it does complete, the little progress bar disappears completely.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No audio in source window
                  lbsimpson Level 1

Got it! And I do see the Audio Conform process.  It does seem to fly by in a matter of a couple of seconds.  So I suppose your 'solution' to this problem doesn't apply as the conforming seems to operate normally, but this was a good lesson in how PPro imports files.  Otherwise I don't think this issue will prove too bothersome.  It seems fairly intermittent at this  point.

Thanks again,

Lindsay

• 6. Re: No audio in source window
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad to have helped, though not with the problem...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: No audio in source window
                      eddiem100 Level 1

I am using P2 media and ran into same problem where in some instances the audio will play in the Source Monitor and other times it wouldn't, yet when you drop the clip in the timeline, audio plays perfectly.

In my case which I think may be similar to yours, the source window seems to only play back one audio track at a time yet my p2 media had four mono tracks.  When I dropped the clip in the timeline, all four tracks were visible and were playing back simultaneously which explains why I had sound in the timeline but not the source monitor.   The Source Monitor was only playing back track 1 - yet my audio was on tracks 3&4!

In my case, to get sound playing in the Source Monitor,  I had to right click on the clip in the source monitor, then go to "display mode" then adjust the track to the correct track number where the sound was recorded (in this case track 3 or 4).  And of course when I did this, I would then see an audio waveform in the source monitor whereas before I was getting a flatliner and I had sound playing in the Source Monitor.  By default the Source Monitor seems to set itself  at Track 1 yet I had to go to Track 3 to hear the audio in the Source monitor.

What made it more perplexing was that in the beginning I was getting audio just fine in the source window.  Then all of a sudden, I wasn't.  Well, what happened is that for some reason the camera masters had the audio recorded on tracks 1&2 on the first set of clips, and then on the others it was showing up on tracks 3&4 and you aren't going to notice this if you are previewing in the Source monitor!  All you are going to get all of a sudden is no audio!  Ha!

I hope this helps you.

If anyone knows how to adjust the default of the Source Monitor from only playing track one, that would be appreciated as it is terrible to have to adjust the source monitor playback track for every single clip when you have thousands of clips to deal with!