8 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2009 7:47 PM by apostlePD

error message "ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped working"

(Bette_Lamore)
      I imported DVD files into CS4 as MPEG2s as when I converted the DVD footage received from a client as avi files they totaled almost 300 Gigs! and that was only for 5 short DVDs of horse show footage. Anyway, imported one of the mpgs and cut out footage and slomo'd short footage in sequence. When I went to render the file, I got the error message above. I did the process explorer and this is result:

Process PID CPU Description Company Name
      System Idle Process 0 96.06
      Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts
      DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls
      System 4 0.77
      smss.exe 620 Windows Session Manager Microsoft Corporation
      csrss.exe 688 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation
      wininit.exe 732 Windows Start-Up Application Microsoft Corporation
      services.exe 788 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation
      svchost.exe 944 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
      WmiPrvSE.exe 2704 WMI Provider Host Microsoft Corporation
      ehmsas.exe 3884 Media Center Media Status Aggregator Service Microsoft Corporation
      unsecapp.exe 3684 Sink to receive asynchronous callbacks for WMI client application Microsoft Corporation
      WLLoginProxy.exe 4224 WLLoginProxy.exe Microsoft Corporation
      aAvgApi.exe 4740 AVG Security Toolbar broker AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.
      nvvsvc.exe 992 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 176.39 NVIDIA Corporation
      rundll32.exe 1344 Windows host process (Rundll32) Microsoft Corporation
      PresentationFontCache.exe 1004 Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache Service Microsoft Corporation
      svchost.exe 344 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
      svchost.exe 656 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
      svchost.exe 776 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
      audiodg.exe 1176 Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation Microsoft Corporation
      svchost.exe 1000 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
      wlanext.exe 1732 Windows Wireless LAN 802.11 Extensibility Framework Microsoft Corporation
      dwm.exe 1356 Desktop Window Manager Microsoft Corporation
      svchost.exe 932 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
      taskeng.exe 1704 Task Scheduler Engine Microsoft Corporation
      SLsvc.exe 1212 Microsoft Software Licensing Service Microsoft Corporation
      svchost.exe 1252 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
      svchost.exe 1468 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
      spoolsv.exe 1684 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation
      svchost.exe 1712 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
      agr64svc.exe 1960 Agere Soft Modem Call Progress Service Agere Systems
      avgwdsvc.exe 2004 AVG Watchdog Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.
      avgrsa.exe 1424 AVG Resident Shield Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.
      avgnsa.exe 1644 AVG Network scanner Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.
      avgfws8.exe 2020 AVG Firewall Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.
      CFProcSRVC.exe 2040 ConfigFree Gadget Process Service TOSHIBA CORPORATION
      CFSvcs.exe 1784 ConfigFree Service Process TOSHIBA CORPORATION
      EvtEng.exe 2144 Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log Service Intel(R) Corporation
      svchost.exe 2328 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
      RegSrvc.exe 2400 Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service Intel(R) Corporation
      svchost.exe 2448 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
      TMachInfo.exe 2492 TSS TMachInfo Service TOSHIBA Corporation
      TNaviSrv.exe 2608 TOSHIBA Navi Support Service TOSHIBA Corporation
      TODDSrv.exe 2668 TDCSrv Application TOSHIBA Corporation
      TosCoSrv.exe 2696 TOSHIBA Power Saver TOSHIBA Corporation
      TosBtSrv.exe 2764 TOSHIBA Bluetooth Service TOSHIBA CORPORATION
      TosIPCSrv.exe 2780 TosIPCSrv.exe TOSHIBA Corporation
      svchost.exe 2808 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
      SearchIndexer.exe 2836 Microsoft Windows Sear
        • 1. Re: error message "ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped working"
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          The correct approach would be to copy the .VOB files to your hard disk, rename them to .MPG, possibly demux and convert the audio to .WAV, then edit.

From Process Explorer a couple of remarks:

1. While editing, kill AVG, WLAN and Bluetooth.

2. Unless you want a slomo-ed PC always turn off Search Indexer.

3. Disable all non-necessary Toshiba services, like power saver, Tmachinfo, Navi support and the like.

Let us know if that helps.
          • 2. Re: error message "ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped working"
            (Bette_Lamore) Level 1
            Thank you, Harm
            I never knew you could take a VOB clip and simply by renaming it, convert it to a MPG -- is that a MPG2 3 or 4 format? It loads into Premiere, and needs to be rendered. I cannot play the renamed mpg file in Windows Media -- only audio plays to black screen.
            When I tried to convert the VOB file into avi, this little 30 minute footage converted into 60 Gigs! I used convert to avi with "uncompressed" and then with Microsoft1 with highest quality.
            Why is the file so big with conversion?
            Thanks for your assistance.
            Bette
            Oh, also, when it is importing the mpgs, it indexes them first-- is that what you are talking about turning off? I already turned off indexing on my hard drives.
            • 3. Re: error message "ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped working"
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              A VOB file is a simple MPEG2 file. However it is always a transport stream, so it is multiplexed. If the audio has been encoded to AC3, you may need to demux, splitting the MPEG into elementary streams, one for video and one for audio and then convert the audio stream to WAV.

When you convert the MPEG to AVI uncompressed all previous compression is 'removed', resulting in large files but much easier to edit. Despite the growth in size it will never be better than what you started out with.

Indexing MPG files is necessary before editing. That is completely different from the last line in your (partial) overview of Process Explorer, where it shows that you have SearchIndexer on. This is a Windows utility (one can wonder if this is not a misnomer, since it seriously hampers system performance). Possibly during an automatic update from the Microsoft site you have installed Windows Search. I advise you to remove it completely, it makes your system behave like looking at a 10 FPS video when you expect 30 FPS.
              • 4. Re: error message "ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped working"
                (Bette_Lamore) Level 1
                Thanks again, Harm
                One last question (I hope), I have the following conversion programs: DVI-to-AVI4 (FlexImage) and AVS4You and neither offers the option of demuxing. Is there a simple program that does this so that my resulting avi from a 30 minute DVD is not 60 Gigs?
                Thanks for any suggestions.
                Bette
                • 5. Re: error message "ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped working"
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >A VOB file is a simple MPEG2 file.

That's not entirely true. A VOB may contain video, audio, subtitles and menu information. This is why a simple renaming doesn't always work.

(Further, it is actually a Program Stream.)
                  • 6. Re: error message "ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped working"
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    > That's not entirely true. A VOB may contain video, audio, subtitles and menu information. This is why a simple renaming doesn't always work.

In that case a ripper like DVD Decrypter or DVD X Copy Platinum is useful.
                    • 7. Re: error message "ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped working"
                      (Al_Why)
                      Use Rejig to Demux the VOB then use ImagoMpeg-muxer to mux them again, you'll get a fine untouched mpeg2.
                      • 8. Re: error message "ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped working"
                        apostlePD Level 1

PROBLEM SOLVED....I was having the same problem and this is what I did.....

Read the error message that comes up when "ImporterProcessServer" stops and make sure it is says this:

Fault Module Name: IPPMPEGDecoder.dll
                          Fault Module Version: 4.0.0.0

If it is this file, here is how to solve the problem.

Do a system search in the Adobe folder of your Program Files and find every copy of that .DLL file. Ignore the one in the Premiere Pro CS4 folder because that one is obviously bad.

Find one in a different folder that is the same "Module Version" as the bad one in Premiere Pro--just roll your mouse over it until it displays the version number--i really don't know if the version number matters, but just to be safe, i copied one that was the same version. I found one in the Encore CS4 folder. Then simply copy and paste this one into your Premiere Pro folder and overwrite the bad one.

And it's fixed. I couldn't believe it worked!

This might not work for everybody, but it worked for me. And I didn't have to uninstall my Suite or my OS or anything!