19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2009 9:00 AM by joshtownsend

Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...

Level 1
      For those of you who use Magic Bullet Looks, you may have noticed that it didn't work so well with CS4 - no preview image. Well, Red Giant released an update today. So far, it works great. I did catch one little bug in that you need to have the play head over the clip you select to edit in Looks, otherwise the preview image will be where ever the play head is.

If you're like me, this is good news...I've really grown to depend on Looks.
        • 1. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
          Level 1
          How can you tell this was released today? This looks like the one I downloaded months ago. What version are you running with this update?

Thanks!
          • 2. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
            shooternz Level 6
            >I did catch one little bug in that you need to have the play head over the clip you select to edit in Looks, otherwise the preview image will be where ever the play head is.

That issue has been around a while in CS3 from my experience.

Vers 1.1 has been around a long time so I dont this is an update. I also think it unlikely they will update for CS4.
            • 3. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
              Level 1
              Download it from the Red Giant website - it's new. I got an email today from Red Giant telling me that it was posted, and after installing, it now works. If you check the version number after install, I'm pretty sure it said 1.2.

> That issue has been around a while in CS3 from my experience.

I don't remember it being this way, and it doesn't do that in AE. I reported it back to them, and they said they did see it on their end and it's not the normal behavior. It may get fixed in another update, or the next release.

> Vers 1.1 has been around a long time so I dont this is an update. I also think it unlikely they will update for CS4.

It is, and they did. And there may be more coming soon.
              • 4. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                shooternz Level 6
                So you click on their Updates page and there is no sign of Looks 1.2 !

Post a Link please.
                • 5. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  Please post a link.....

Downloaded version is 1.2 for sure. They never mentioned it in the correction beta group or had it tested. hmmm
                  • 6. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                    joshtownsend Level 2
                    Works like a charm with my 32bit OS. Wish they'd fix colorista now.

It doesn't say it but it is version 1.2 in the updates section. See you guys latter, I'm about to a quick one light in Premiere hehehe
                    • 7. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                      Level 1
                      If you download the 1.1 version from their update page, it'll be 1.2...I'm really not making this up, Craig. Sorry I didn't make it more clear.

Josh - I asked about Colorista, and was told that the rest of the CS4 updates should be released in the next 2-3 weeks...I'll be happy to have that back in PPro.
                      • 8. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        >I did catch one little bug in that you need to have the play head over the clip you select to edit in Looks, otherwise the preview image will be where ever the play head is.

Looks has always worked that way for me. And really, what other way could it work? Without this behavior, the user would be unable to select which frame shows up in the Builder.
                        • 9. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                          shooternz Level 6
                          >If you download the 1.1 version from their update page, it'll be 1.2...I'm really not making this up, Craig. Sorry I didn't make it more clear.

I did not think you were "making it up". Classic Red Giant and their confusing website. They never were able to even distinguish their product clearly. Bunch of geeks in charge of the assylum I always thought.

Jim: Because MB Looks was unable to playout a clip or do key frames or decent windows in the frames it has always been a bit proffesionally limited. One would have thought that the CTI over the selected clip would have shown the frame at least... but not the case. It was always a bit random and flaky despites its excellence in other areas.
                          • 10. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                            Dag Norum Level 2
                            >Bunch of geeks in charge of the assylum

I am a happy patient of them.

Even though I also could wish for keyframe ability, I have noticed that most of the times I really don't need a look to change gradually. And, if I do, it isn't worse than a couple of duplicates of the clip on top of each other and just keyframe the opacity of the different layers.

The CTI/frame thing is something I have never noticed. Could that got to do something with type of graphics card maybe?

Dag
                            • 11. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              >One would have thought that the CTI over the selected clip would have shown the frame at least... but not the case.

That's what I'm saying. That has always been the case with Looks for me. The only exception is if a speed effect is applied to the clip. Looks can't seem to figure out the frames when their speed is changed. Other than that, the frame I park the CTI on has always been the one that shows up in the Builder for me.
                              • 12. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                                Level 1
                                For me, whatever clip I applied the effect to, a frame from that would normally appear in the preview window in Looksbuilder, regardless of where the CTI was. And if I'm not mistaken, that's they way it currently works in AE.

When I pointed it out to the Red Giant person, he told me "...that is not the intended method of sourcing a preview image for the Looksbuilder. Since it's not a major bug I can't promise an immediate fix but we'll get it in our database for the future."
                                • 13. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                                  Thrill Media Level 2
                                  Hey, I am just glad it is updated. Maybe that bodes well for the other developers out there.
                                  • 14. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                                    joshtownsend Level 2
                                    Yeah I beta tested it Looks when it came out and they were pretty adamant about not being able to move the preview around. Evryone in the beta asked for it but they layed down the law and said: Basically, it's not gonna happen so stop asking. Guess it's in the coding or something.

Micah from Red Giant and Stu have said over and over that Colorista is for matching all your clips's color for a scene then Looks is meant to be applied as an over all correction for a scene. This would work better if Premiere had adjustment layers. It was never meant to be a single clip corrector, even though I find myself using the Lens effects (like the awesome swing/tilt, edge softness and grad) for single clips.

They did say that scrubbing in looksbuider might happen for version 2.0 but it's not in google color correction beta group right now. So I don't expect it to happen any time soon.

Eric, are you saying that it picks a random frame from the clip for your preview. That's not the way it's supposed to work. In fact doesn't that kinda negate the reason for keyframing looks?

It's always pulled up the frame the CTI is over. If the CTI isn't over the clip then it pulls up the first frame. Works the same way in AE. If it doesn't work that way for you there's some sort of problem. I'm looking at it right now on Premiere CS4 and it's working for me.
                                    • 15. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                      >Evryone in the beta asked for it but they layed down the law and said: Basically, it's not gonna happen so stop asking. Guess it's in the coding or something

Wow. You mean a software company actually ignored their beta testers' input and went ahead with a release anyway? What's the point of having testers, then? What's the point of testing if your input will be ignored?
                                      • 16. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                                        Level 1
                                        > Eric, are you saying that it picks a random frame from the clip for your preview.

No.

> It's always pulled up the frame the CTI is over. If the CTI isn't over the clip then it pulls up the first frame. Works the same way in AE.

Yeah, that's the way it works for me in AE. But it doesn't work that way in PPro, it always pulls the frame from where ever the CTI is - not from the first frame from the clip selected (if the CTI isn't on the selected clip).
                                        • 17. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                                          joshtownsend Level 2
                                          Jeff no it wasn't really like they were ignoring us at all. From start they said it was gonna be that way and there was no way they could change in the time frame or budget. It was pretty solid when it went into beta, I went in at version 3 and it went to 14 builds I believe. I don't remember them even adding FX. It was pretty complete.

Micah and Stu and them really listened to us testers. I mean they gave me free copies and T-shirt, you can't beat that. Those guys are awesome. They have three beta google groups going right now but nothing special except for the new version of Toonit 2.0. I'll let you know if any cool beta's come up soon.

I agree that it would be so much better if you could scrub the clip but it's really hard me to complain about Looks. I love it. Looks with Colorista used on 4:2:2 footage while working in Linear 32bit After Effects is awesome. You can get corrections as good as a da Vinci or Flame system....just not nearly as fast or expensive.

Wish that Colorista fix would come though......
                                          • 18. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            >This would work better if Premiere had adjustment layers.

Oh man, I just can't agree with that one strongly enough. Nesting will get you there in a pinch, but is much less elegant and useful than an Adjustment Layer.

Hell, I'd be happy if we could apply Looks to the already included Transparent Layer, much like the Timecode effect.
                                            • 19. Re: Magic Bullet Looks is fixed...
                                              joshtownsend Level 2
                                              I'm actually able to close to real time dull quality with heavy looks on a layer. Pretty awesome. I little more fun and faster than correcting in AE. But because no Colorista till I get into AE it's only playing.